“Super Fun Time”

Stony Creek Ranch Resort
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Super Fun Time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

Just returned from spending an all adult Halloween Weekend at this resort. Our waitress, Carolyn was friendly and aimed to please at all times which was an accurate indication of the superb service from everyone we came in contact with. The view from our room was spectacular and although we weren't in it for long periods, it was clean and comfortable. Activities were planned for the guests whether you were going to ride or not and the highlight was the costume party on Saturday evening. The food was delicious and plentiful, the drinks reasonable and the accommodations clean. This was my first visit to the ranch and I will most certainly return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Terry R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

This place is rustic, relaxing and simply enjoyable. This is our 5th year coming here and by far it is the least expensive and most entertaining adult weekend anyone of us could hope for. We drive 4.5 hours coming out Thursday night and staying in Lake George so we can have an early start for the final 20 minute drive to The Ranch. Every year with good weather or sometimes inconsistent, the horse back riding is always wonderful. The wranglers who guide you through the many trails are engaging and caring to try to make happy all guests who are at various riding skill levels. A job well done to them. The food is good and never ending and the staff works hard to try to accomodate all requests. We eat, we snack and we walk away never feeling hungry at all. DJ music Friday night and a live band Saturday night. We always rent the cabins (32 and 33) and this year their were 16 of us spread out in different rooms and cabins and they're what a ranch should be and the day staff is very nice and came in and cleaned up after us after a day and night of solid fun.

Let me close by saying this....new management this year and they are fantastic and a welcome addition to The Ranch. This year has a whole new feel to an already fun, welcoming getaway place. They are Jim and Michelle and they are now the General Managers of The Ranch and they are DJ masters, dance instructors. They are young and bring new ideas to The Ranch. I enjoyed very much the more energized feel to a place we already enjoy. The owner made a very good decision in bringing these 2 to The Ranch. There's not enough I can say about how they engage customers, accomodate requests and simply get out there and enjoy with us. A tip of my hat to both of them and keep the good work, well done. This place is fantastic and I recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Rustic, outdoors ranch feel with a front porch to sit on that sits at water's edge watching the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ron R
Yaphank, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

My family has been going here for 25 years. Started going here before my two boys were born. We have gone up the same week of July. As the boys aged I would ask them where they would want to go and they always choose to go to the Ranch. The childrens and adults activity directors have always been fun, flexible and accommodating. There goal is to make sure you are having fun. I can tell from all of the years I have gone every, person at the ranch will go out of there way to help you. This place has and old time feel of what a horse ranch should be, not a Ritz Carlton and tons of luxury. It what a Ranch should be. The Cowboys and Cowgirls really do Love what they do and will make sure your rides are very safe and memorial. The food varies from very good to exceptional. The amount of food is unlimited, and special menu requirements are always available. Be really to do nothing or everything. I always need a vacation when I get home from all of the stuff we do there. White water rafting, Canoeing/kayak, hiking, dancing, softball etc. Try it.......I believe you will love it, especially kids.

Room Tip: The Duplex Rooms are plenty big for a family of 4 or more.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Kurt B
Cohoes, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

My family and I have been going to 1000 Acres on Columbus Day weekend for 39 years. This year, the staff at 1000 Acres really have out done them selves. From the quick and pleasant service of our waitress Carolynn, to the fun filled advanced rides from Bryan, everything was Top Notch. All the staff where very enthusiastic and were eager to assist and make sure our family made the most of the weekend.
The riding this year was EXCEPTIONAL. The coral boss Emmy (I think I spelled that right) made sure that riders were saddled up and out the gate on time. From there, the Wranglers (guides) followed through by choosing any one of the many trails that abound 1000 Acres dude ranch. Truly some of the best horseback riding my family has seen in over a decade.

Room Tip: Deer Leap is probably the most "up to date" room but in general the ranch room's are v...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jason M
Long Island, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

My son and I spent the Labor Day weekend here and had a wonderful time. You may never find a place that has a greater variety of activities or a staff that works harder to please. The riding is well supervised by friendly and helpful wranglers and the trails are good. The saddle horses range from spirited to pokey, but are assigned based on ability, so it works very well. The food service is outstanding. It would be virtually impossible to go hungry here. The breakfasts are amazing, offering more food than most humans can easily handle -- huge omelettes, giant waffles, blueberry pancakes, French toast, all kinds of eggs, ham, bacon, sausage -- or all of the above if you so desire. Lunch is more simple, with breads, cold cuts, salads, a hot dish and soup, plus desserts. Dinner is more of an event than a meal. For instance, an outdoor BBQ on Sunday included steaks, chicken, ribs, baked potatoes, corn on the cob, salad...even ice cream.
The rooms are clean and kept that way for you stay. The grounds, spread along a stretch of the Hudson River, are beautifully landscaped. Two outdoor pools and an indoor pool with adjacent jacuzzi are wonderfully maintained. With all these well-deserved superlatives, you might wonder why this review gives four stars instead of five. The reason: No cell phone service whatsoever. Very spotty WiFi. No TV in the room. If these things don't bother you, add the fifth star yourself. Overall, this is a top-notch, well-run place to which we intend to return.

Room Tip: Try the cabins facing the river instead of the motel-type units. We will the next time.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank mayortony
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

My husband and I stopped for a 24 hour period on our way home from vacationing in Canada. it seems most of the day activities are scheduled during the week but we did catch the cattle drive which was an awesome display in horsemanship. Having never rode we were nervous but quickly set at ease and left wishing we had more time to learn more about riding. The place is tired (run down seems too harsh) and it was as clean as one could make it given the age of things. The food was ok, I consider myself a food snob and went with low expectations to begin with. Just a note for the owners with regards to food. The white haired folks making the food need to wear hair nets. Had white hair in two of the three meals I had there. Quality of the food did seem above average all in all - just nothing fancy but like someone said - its hard to appeal to all ages. I would also have been more comfortable at a table for 2 - rather than sitting at a table with folks we didn't know and had nothing in common with and being forced to have akward small talk. Leave the friend making to the pool and activities. Most of the staff seemed to be very friendly and nice. Mike at the bar is a genius at remembering everyones names. The gentlemen who seranaded the tables at dinner made us uncomfortable but I think my husband and I were the only ones and its probably designed as a distraction since we are all sitting with strangers. Pools were very well maintained and clean as were the grounds. If the meal seating situation was different and the rooms were just a tad more upgraded I would wholeheartedly say I would be back. All in all though an Excellent Value for the price and we enjoyed our stay. Thank you.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

If you're looking for luxury, high-end accommodations and gourmet food, this is not your place.
However if you're looking for a place to totally disconnect in a comfortable, family-friendly environment in a clean and beautiful spot, this is the place for you.

There's tons of stuff to do - horseback riding, rafting, kayaking, fishing & swimming - so no one gets bored. You can also just sit on your porch, read a book and watch the river roll by. No cell phone, no tvs (except in the dining hall). You can connect to the internet if you need to, though - some other reviewers said the wireless was wonky, but we didn't have any trouble. They have bonfires every night, and something is always going on in the Red Dog Saloon in the evenings - trivia contests, karaoke, talent shows, etc.

Others have noted that the furnishings are kind of beat up and that's true, but everything is very clean and well-maintained. The food is plentiful, but pretty bland - however there are tons of younger kids and this probably appeals to them.

The most interesting bit for me was how many families go there year after year - in some cases for decades. Everyone was extremely friendly, and we constantly had people dropping by to chat when we were sitting on our porch. It was disconcerting at first (being used to the disconnectedness of modern life), but we soon came to enjoy the chats.

I would definitely recommend the 1000 Acres Ranch to families as a great and inexpensive getaway.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid of the lodge rooms - there are only 4 rooms per lodge (two up and two down) and...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
#6 of 88 in Lake George
The Lodge At Harrisburg Lake
The Lodge At Harrisburg Lake
#1 of 3 in Stony Creek

Been to Stony Creek Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!