“Going Downhill Fast”

Stony Creek Ranch Resort
Reviewed July 3, 2011

My family has been coming here for about 10 years and the quality has gone steadily down. Cabins that were rustic years ago get little maintenance and are now dumpy; there was a mouse in our room eating our snacks this year. The food was always a big draw, but this year the chef had quit and the food was bland and poorly prepared (chicken parm with no breading, cut-up marshmallows for make-your-own sundaes); there was no meal all week that we really enjoyed. The dining room staff is wonderful, but several of the office workers are inept. The riding was the #1 reason we kept coming back but this year there were not enough wranglers and a problem with my equipment resulted in personal injury. The horses are still great and our daughter is in love with the place, so we may go next year for just a few days instead of a week.

• Stayed: June 2011
10  Thank Houndsman
Ash W, Public Relations Manager at Stony Creek Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2017

Good Morning,
I am so sorry that you had a bad experience back in 2011. 1000 acres ranch is no more as it is under new ownership and is now called Stony Creek Ranch Resort. Our new owners have been actively renovating and improving our grounds. Most of our rooms have been completely updated and stripped of the old carpeting. As far as our activities go we pride ourselves in having our staff actually participate with you. There will never be an instance where you are left to your own devices under our new ownership. We have redone our indoor pool and also feature to outdoor pools. Our windows are also spotless. We also have an arcade and cinema! In regards to horseback riding, our guests are always first! The new owners are primarily focused on their guests and we offer very few rides to the public. Our saloon has been completely redone and boasts a beautiful wood interior and plenty of lighting! We are also doing a weekly rodeo on Thursdays with live entertainment on Thursdays through Saturdays. Our WiFi has been redone and is available throughout the property as well as all new TVs with functioning cable. Both our maintenance and housekeeping departments have put in a tremendous amount of effort over the last year and have made and continue to make the property prim and proper. There is no longer a mice problem. We have a solid team who respect our guests and aim to make every moment here at the ranch the best one! We have hired plenty of wranglers to meet our season demands as well as increase our horse count. As this message is being typed out there is more and more work being done to our property in order to beautify it for our current and future guests. I know that you had a less than favorable experience with 1000 acres but we really do hope that you will give Stony Creek Ranch Resort a try! We hope you have a wonderful day!

There are newer reviews for Stony Creek Ranch Resort

Reviewed November 1, 2010

we recently took a weekend trip to 1000 Acres ranch in upstate New York, and has the greatest time! When we first arrived we were greeted with 'welcome to the ranch" by a wowan who made us feel so welcome from the start. She was then joined by another woman who was introduced as "bubbles" and it was obvious why. She was so charming, and refreshing. What a great team they made. You should have them for entertainment. We were showed around,a nd then to our room. The view was magnificent, and the room was clean, and cozy with a great front porch. We really enjoyed the food. Your chef is top notch. I believe his name was Fillipee. We could hardly wait for our next meal. At night we visisted the saloon. The band was great as was the dancing. I even took the dance lesson offered on Saturday night. I haven't done that in years. Our next day wa spent horseback riding. I was a bit concered as the cowboys appeared a bit old, but the horses weren't, and we had a great time. The trails were beautiful--and what a view. Since we have returned home, I have done nothing but talk about what a fantastic time we had. The accomedations, staff, food, entertainment, all top notch, and all for one great price. We are already planning our next trip, but this time intend to bring our friends. I would reccomend 1000 Acres Ranch to anyone who wants a good time at a great price. This place is a winner!!!!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ddimeo
Reviewed September 6, 2010

Our family has been going to the ranch for 9 years. I’d like to address cws5600’s concerns.
I totally understand the need and concern to protect kids from unhealthy relationships with adults. With my 2 boys, I have been, and continue to be, hyper-vigilant about adults who seen too interested in them. In the years we have been going to the ranch, I’ve never had even the faintest twitch of concern about Cowboy Ernie. His job is to entertain both kids and adults, but the kids are his main audience. Like any good performer, he pays close to attention to them and “plays” to them, but I never got an uneasy feeling watching Cowboy Ernie around kids.
Staff at the Ranch
The employees are not the polished staff of a five star hotel. Most are locals. They are genuine people. With the longer tenured employees, we swap updates and stories about family and interests. There were a lot of new faces in the office this year, but new or old, my experience is they will fall over themselves to meet guest’s requests. This includes the wranglers at the stables. The stable wranglers have the further concern about guest safety. The horses are gentle and trained, but they are still horses. If they get frightened on the trail, which can happen (last summer we saw a black bear, and the horses were spooked by this), the rider has to have some control over the animal. The miles and miles of trails are natural settings, with rocks, roots, uphill, downhill. The horses can lose their footing on a rock or branch. Again, the riders have to have to be able to recover in this event. If the head wrangler does not allow a guest on the medium or fast rides, or if he tries to give riding advice, it’s for the safety of the guests and horses.
Rooms
The beds are clean and comfortable, and the A/C, fridge and bathrooms work. Otherwise, it’s the surroundings that we come for. Enjoy your morning coffee or an evening glass of wine or beer on the porch. The scenery is stunning.
The bottom line is our family absolutely loves our vacations at the ranch. Our boys are had a great time there last week. After 9 years, I keep expecting to grow tired of the ranch, but we can’t wait to go back again next year. Yes, we’ve already booked, and the boys are actually keeping a count of many days till our return there.
Other Activities
The ranch and the surrounding area offer a number of things to do. My husband rode a horse this year for the first time. He loves the golf course (a mile away). We always go kayaking on the Hudson. Our kids love playing ping pong and bocci. It is also a safe place where they have the freedom to hop on their bikes and go, things they can’t do in the city.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank busymom718
Reviewed August 24, 2010

We had several problems with staff. Ernie the guitar player seemed to stare at the young female children a little too long, enough to make my sister keep her daughter away from him. The short heavy set man who runs the horses has a Napoleon complex and likes to talk down to every one. Instead of explaining how to ride he likes to berate people in front of the crowd. It was down to several people in different groups. The front desk also seemed like any request was a bother. The area is beautiful and the grounds are nice. Good luck with the staff. Our group of over 40 will never go back.

5  Thank cws5600

Good Morning,
I am so sorry that you had a bad experience back in 2010. 1000 acres ranch is no more as it is under new ownership and is now called Stony Creek Ranch Resort. Our new owners have been actively renovating and improving our grounds. Most of our rooms have been completely updated and stripped of the old carpeting. . As far as our activities go we pride ourselves in having our staff actually participate with you. There will never be an instance where you are left to your own devices under our new ownership. We have redone our indoor pool and also feature to outdoor pools. Our windows are also spotless. We also have an arcade and cinema! In regards to horseback riding, our guests are always first! The new owners are primarily focused on their guests and we offer very few rides to the public. Our saloon has been completely redone and boasts a beautiful wood interior and plenty of lighting! We are also doing a weekly rodeo on Thursdays with live entertainment on Thursdays through Saturdays. Our WiFi has been redone and is available throughout the property as well as all new TVs with functioning cable. Both our maintenance and housekeeping departments have put in a tremendous amount of effort over the last year and have made and continue to make the property prim and proper. Ernie nor the "Napoleonic" wrangler work here. We have a solid team who respect our guests and aim to make every moment here at the ranch the best one! As this message is being typed out there is more and more work being done to our property in order to beautify it for our current and future guests. I know that you had a less than favorable experience with 1000 acres but we really do hope that you will give Stony Creek Ranch Resort a try! We hope you have a wonderful day!

Reviewed August 12, 2010

I love TripAdvisor - I consult it for every trip we take, and this is the only place that TripAdvisor has steered us horribly, horribly wrong. We actually took our trip 2 years ago (August 2008) when there was only a dozen reviews about 1000 Acres, each one glowing about the "rustic" setting, the "bountiful" food, the fun "activities", the "hopping" nightlife, etc. Our first night there I was so disgusted that I was sobbing, I really felt like I let my family down by choosing this place. My husband encouraged me to give it a chance (although he was also not pleased with the accomodations) because all the other reviewers raved about how much fun this place was, so we stayed and TRIED to have fun.

For $600 a night (!!!) for our family of five, we did get rustic, but RUSTIC = sunk-in beds, carpeting that has never been replaced, dirty shower with water coming from a pipe (no little bottles of shampoo here!), dark paneling, one lightbulb, paper thin walls, a back door that opens to mud leading to mosquito infested river, empty beer bottles outside our door, a broken plastic chair to sit on, etc.

BOUNTIFUL FOOD = a fly covered BBQ night, overcooked chicken fingers, nothing better than Hometown Buffet... breakfast was the best bet, everything else was disgusting

ACTIVITIES = horseback riding was great for the ONE HOUR a day that you get to do that - everything else was mediocre to terrible - the "rodeo" was horrifying!! - my kids will never forget seeing those poor baby cows getting strung by the neck and thrown in the air for our amusement; the pools were DIRTY, especially the indoor pool, and everything else could be found in better condition at a town park.

NIGHTLIFE = hick country western bar - we are not country music fans so we were way out of our comfort zone in the bar where drunks from all over congregate and mingle with your kids - very creepy - there is absolutely nothing else to do at night, and there is no TV in your room so you are stuck with the bar

THE CLIENTELE = I am not a snob - we have 3 boys that keep us very down to earth - we don't come from money, and we have friends from all walks of life - but at least for the short time we visited, there was just something wrong with the people that come here! They come in LARGE groups and forget that there are others there that may not be comfortable with their behavior - such as smoking / swearing / drinking / yelling around your kids. During BREAKFAST, one man put on DIRTY underwear (hopefully dirtied by dirt) over his pants and walked around the room for like 30 minutes while his group of buddies nearly died laughing. Maybe we would have thought it was funny if he had been our friend or if we understood what the inside joke was, but frankly it just seemed disgusting and totally lacking in class to do while people were trying to eat! Again, I just couldn't believe we paid $600 a night to be there! You just kind of expect people to have some sense of dignity... We were clearly left wondering if everyone else got some huge group discount.

The only good things I can report about this place are: (1) the horseback riding was nice (but you could stay somewhere actually decent and just pay for the horseback riding here) and (2) the location is fairly close to Lake George which provided the despearately needed escape from the "ranch"

For those people who truly love the ranch and come year after year, I do feel bad about criticizing their cherished vacation spot. But this place is a SKEEVY DUMP and I personally felt duped by the positive reviews and ripped off by their ridiculous prices.

4  Thank vacationmomof3boys
Ash W, Public Relations Manager at Stony Creek Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2017

Good Morning,
I am so sorry that you had a bad experience back in 2008. 1000 acres ranch is no more as it is under new ownership and is now called Stony Creek Ranch Resort. Our new owners have been actively renovating and improving our grounds. Most of our rooms have been completely updated and stripped of the old carpeting. All of the rooms have been cleaned and do not have any mildew smells. As far as our activities go we pride ourselves in having our staff actually participate with you. There will never be an instance where you are left to your own devices under our new ownership. In fact we opened up a whole new department that focuses just on activities! We have been extremely choosy on our clientele and can guarantee that you will never experience such rowdy behavior here. In fact we close our bar to the public on certain times and if open we have an excellent security time that will remove any riff raff. We have redone our indoor pool and also feature two outdoor pools. We also have an arcade and cinema. Our saloon has been completely redone and boasts a beautiful wood interior and plenty of lighting! We are also doing live entertainment on Thursdays through Saturdays. Our WiFi has been redone and is available throughout the property as well as all new TVs with functioning cable. Both our maintenance and housekeeping departments have put in a tremendous amount of effort over the last year and have made and continue to make the property prim and proper. As this message is being typed out there is more and more work being done to our property in order to beautify it for our current and future guests. I know that you had a less than favorable experience with 1000 acres but we really do hope that you will give Stony Creek Ranch Resort a try! We hope you have a wonderful day!

Reviewed July 12, 2010

I've been going to 1000 Acres for the last three years and I an tell you that everyone time I leave that place I can't wait to go back next year. I am going to break my review into three parts the service / food, the activities and the ranch / rooms itself.

First, the food/ service is amazing... while the food is not gormet the food is exceptional and is homesytle cooking that is better than what most of us grow up with. The meals our amazing and some of the meals include ribs, hotdogs (for the kids), steaks, chicken, italian food, turkey, fish and my favorite their ham. While the meals are incredible so is the service. The service at 1000 acres is the service that most of wish we recieved at five star restaurants. If there is any problem the servants just come right to your need. For example my son didin't like the main dish of fish, so we had asked the waiter for somthing else for a kid, within six minutes there were chicken fingers at our table for our five year old son.

Next, I will talk about the activities at the ranch, I don't even know where to start.. well first for horse lovers their horseback riding for any age and any experiance level through some of the most beautiful trails ever. I've been to other ranches while horseback riding, such as rockin horse and the horseback riding at 1000 acres compared to some of the other places is ten times better. If youre more of a water fan you can go kayaking, whitewater rafting and river tubing at 1000 Acres. For the first time last year my family did all three and I have to say that my kids and wife enjoyed it so much that they wanted to do each one again on our last day at the ranch. If your more of a sportfan theres a golf course at the ranch which i never got the chance to use but looked nice and well maintained. The Ranch is also at a prime location to go to the town of Lake George where the kids can go to the arcade, the haunted houses and the park and the adults can go to bars, shopping centers and small gift shops. Also about 20 minutes away from the ranch their is a six flags where if you have a 13 and 16 year old kids like i did you can keep them very entertained and happy .

And now finally to the ranch / rooms while the ranch and the rooms our a bit outdated and old fashioned the rooms our fairly large and our cozy. While my family when we first arrived wasn't excited about our rooms we soon found out that we were rarely in our rooms with all the activities at the ranch.

At 1000 acres, while the rooms are a bit outdated, the activities, the great value and the ranches food / service will have my family coming back year after year for more fun, relaxation, friends and thrills.

1  Thank thefungoers
Reviewed June 6, 2010

This summer will be my 20-something-th time visiting the ranch. i love 1000 acres.

if you want a vacation where you can relax, see and experience nature, and find the good in the world, this is the place for you. if you want a vacation where you can drink all day and be completely hedonistic, this is the place for you. if you want a vacation where you can take the family on a kayak down the river, or into lake george to have fun in the wax museum or play at the arcade or have some ice cream, this is the place for you. whatever kind of vacation youre looking for, you can find it at 1000 acres. it is what you make it and want it to be, and that's the magic of the ranch.

these are my favorite things to do at the ranch:
1) go swimming in the river. it is cold, but totally exhillarating. just jump in. if there has been a lot of recent rain, the water will be extra cold, and the water-level may be higher so you cannot wade across, so strong swimmers only if this is the case. swim across to the little islands and go exploring. you may see some beautiful birds, or a frog, or even a deer. dont be afraid to embrace nature. water shoes are good to wear too.
2) fires by the riverside at night. bring beer and a guitar and friends.
3) EATING
4) putting countless songs on the jukebox while playing pool in the red dog (the bar at the ranch)

there are so many more things i love to do at the ranch, but this review is too long already. the one thing i plan on doing this summer when i go: seeing the thursday night fireworks in lake george. i found out last year that they have fireworks every thursday night in the summer. life doesnt get much better than that

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Clarion Inn & Suites
#21 of 89 in Lake George
Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center
Super 8 Lake George/Warrensburg Area

Been to Stony Creek Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!