“Old and Tired”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Stony Brook
Rochester, New York
“Old and Tired”
Reviewed November 21, 2011

This title refers to the hotel, not the writer. This place needs a huge revamping: the sheets felt old and pilly, the heating/cooling system has been changed, but unusable thermostats were still on the wall. The closet in our room had no door, just nail holes and magnets where the door had once been. The wall treatment were pealing, light switch plates were crooked and the pull out bed shouldn't ever be slept on. The mattress was little more than covered springs, which were poking through in some places, sleeping on it, all I could feel were the tops of the springs supporting my body, even while laying on top of a blanket and a sheet.

There are two elevators, one of them works, sometimes.

There is a pool, but it was freezing.

On the plus side, this hotel is clean, with an ever-present army of maids, they're everywhere. In the halls, in the elevator, in the lobby... and they start knocking on doors at 8AM! Really?

I have stayed at many Holiday Inn Express locations, and this was one of the worst.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Korean first
Loudonville, New York
Reviewed October 25, 2011

We have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express a few times and have had no problems or complaints at all. The staff is very friendly when you arrive, the rooms are very clean and the breakfast is great in the morning. Our daughter recently moved near this hotel and they always give me the best rate when I call. If you need a place to stay in this location, look no further. The Holiday Inn Express is the place you will be most comfortable in.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank mwalsh2
Fredonia, New York
Reviewed October 15, 2011

Very helpful staff, GREAT rooms that are clean and comfortable. Great rate. Much better breakfast than the average place. Convenient mini-store in the lobby selling snacks and even beer. We drove using our car but it is only 3 miles from a Long island Railroad station. The rate was so good I would even consider using this place again if visiting Manhattan. It might be a long commute in to the city but is probably $250 cheaper than a equivalent place in NYC. We were there to visit Stony Brook Univ, not to visit NYC.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 29, 2011

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel time and time again. This is my hometown but no family members live in the area any more - so we have to sleep somewhere. And this hotel is much better than my mother's guest room ever was.

The staff is friendly. I am a Priority Club member and I feel like I get perks when I check in. One time, we were upgraded to the Jacuzzi Suite. The tub was in the room - not the bathroom and was as big as the King sized bed! So fun!

There is breakfast in a comfortable room off the lobby. Complimentary newspaper and TV's to catch up on the news. There's plenty of parking, even some nice outdoor areas to play or take pictures. But to be clear, this hotel is on the highway. I think though - that's the best part! It is so close to everything - shopping, other nearby turnpikes and roads. It takes just minutes to get anywhere from here.

All is all, simple in a great location.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 19, 2011

The hotel is ok.its middle of the hightway or it feels so. Just average.nothing special.would probably stay again because i am not sure if there are more to select from.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank t0309999
Seattle
Reviewed September 19, 2011

This is the third HIE I've stayed in and it was just ok. The staff was really helpful but that can't really help the overly-warm pool,too many firm pillows (I know, I know..) the wonky a/c(with the hockey-puck deod) or the slightly mildewy aroma. I mean the room was the usual HIE nice size and I love triple sheeting but for $152 bucks a night? Was hoping for a little better.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Reviewed September 12, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for one night on our weekend getaway to Mahattan/Long Island. As a platinum member of priority club, we were upgraded to a two room suite on the 6th floor. This was a first for us to have two rooms to ourselves, and it was very nice to have the extra space and a change of pace from the typical Holiday Inn Express room. Our floor had a decent size sitting area next to the elevator which would have been nice if traveling with a group. There was also plenty of seating in the downstairs lobby and breakfast area. We could have played horseshoes or sand volleyball on the courts right outside, and the front desk should have free equipment but we did not verify this. We were recommended to try John Harvard's restaurant/brewery for dinner, and we enjoyed some tasty food and good beer, I went for the beer sampler. Overall, a comfortable hotel that treated us well.

Room Tip: They have a handful of suites, so if you can snag one, take it