“Fabulous breakfast, Nice lunch”
Review of Jake Starr Cafe - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Jake Starr Cafe
Cuisines: American
Description: Near the Stony Brook train station.
Description: Near the Stony Brook train station.
Setauket, New York
“Fabulous breakfast, Nice lunch”
Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

We live nearby, and frequently go for breakfast. Great choices, we are always pleased. My husband and daughter usually have an omelette, and I choose pancakes or French toast. We are never disappointed.
We have also been here for lunch. Sandwiches and salads are good portion size and yummy.
The restaurant is small, but clean and cute. Service is good.

1 Thank Sharon S

Smithtown, New York
“Awful dining experience.”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I can't ever remember dining out where every part of the meal was unsatisfactory. My wife and I began our meal with a Buffalo wing appetizer. There were 6 wing parts that were overcooked or multi-cooked and very dried out. No traditional celery served with them. For an entree, My wife ordered the Charlie (Fettuccine Alfredo). She was served was spaghetti in an Alfredo Sauce. The chef should be made aware that spaghetti is a pasta and Fettuccine is an egg noodle and makes a big difference in the taste. The Alfredo sauce was also very watery. I ordered the Kendall Haley (Eggplant Parmigiana). The tomato sauce was very bitter. Insult to injury, there was no bread served with the meal.

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank Lou11686
St. James, NY
“Breakfast better than home made!”
Reviewed May 23, 2012

I've visited Jake Starr for lunch several times and have always been pleased but when we recently went for breakfast on Mother Day I had a difficult dilemma--what to choose on the varied, creative and very yummy sounding menu! I finally picked almond encrusted french toast with bananas and blueberries, which was even better than it sounds! My daughter had nutella, crunchy peanut butter and banana stuffed french toast which looked so good I pulled the Mother's Day card and stole a bite. Plain pancakes are not even on the menu but they did accommodate my picky 12 year old. Our previous Mothers Day breakfast spot gets so crowded that we felt rushed and the food had become sub-par, which led to this welcome change. I recommend Jake Starr for lunch but really, the breakfast is a must. Enjoy!

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Michele H
The Deep South
“Cozy Lunch Spot!”
Reviewed December 18, 2011

My father took me to this little restaurant and we had a very nice lunch -- delicious focaccia bread for a variety of sandwiches, and some great wraps as well. Good macaroni salad as a side. You can also get burgers, salads, and omelets. Our very friendly server told us that the restaurant has recently been renovated and has a full bar now, so I'd like to go back for dinner next time I'm visiting my people on Long Island.

• Visited December 2011
3 Thank EBovary
Sound Beach, New York
“What a cozy find!”
Reviewed November 4, 2011

I went here with my husband and college age daughter. We were welcomed the moment we walked in. The atmosphere is casual and cozy. Our waiter was the nicest guy...he alone would make us go back. The food was great! The menu has something for everyone. Every course was yummy. For dinner - my husband had a steak, I had the tuna and my daughter had the tilapia. We all enjoyed it very much. The bar area is very inviting as well. I am looking forward to going back for dinner or even just drinks and appetizers. Really cozy spot!

• Visited October 2011