“Three Village Nightmare”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Stony Brook
louisville
“Three Village Nightmare”
Reviewed August 3, 2007

We stayed at the Village Inn for four nights in July of 2007. Having grown up in Stony Brook I wanted to stay at the Village Inn based upon it's location and fond memories. Well .... the place needs a serious face lift. Where should I begin? The "cottage" we stayed at was filthy: the "carpet" was so worn and dirty we all wore shoes while walking around the "cottage", the towel rack was hanging from the wall (fell out of the wall mount), there was no lightbulb in the bathroom (yes we asked for one) so we used the suntan light to see while in the bathroom, the linens and towels are paper thin, the air conditioning unit barely worked, there was no fan to keep the "air" moving, the caulking in the bathroom was crusty and worn and the "TV" barely got a signal at times. However, the worst of it all was the safety concerns. Our "cottage" entrance faced a dark deserted area and the lamp post and light on the exterior wall did not work. Yes, we asked for both to be replaced and EVENTUALLY the lamp post light was replaced.

On the up side ... the grounds (the front on the Inn) are well maintained (however the back side is littered with trash - maintenance equipment, cigarettes, ash trays). The location is great (right by the harbour). The breakfast buffet was alright. The service in the restaurant was excellent. The front desk was well organized. Check in was easy.

Unfortunately, the Three Village Inn is the only real option if you want to stay in historic Stony Brook. The real tragedy is that it could be an amazing place if the owners would make a substantial investment in upgrading the Inn.

• Liked — Location in historic Stony Brook
  • Disliked — It was filthy and literally falling apart.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank cings

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
New York, NY
Reviewed July 22, 2007

I was looking for a getaway weekend with my fiance and we found the Three Village Inn online.

We stayed for 3 nights in their charming hotel that had a bed and breakfast atmosphere.

The food was outstanding and the menu was perfect for both of us (my fiance doesn't eat beef) and there was plenty to choose from.

The views from our room were of the bay and so it was really pretty and romantic.

The staff was friendly and helpful and one of the best features is that they have the restaurant environment, but also breakfast rooms and a bar called the sandbar which is fun at night.

• Liked — Location, Price, Friendliness of Staff, Quality of Food
  • Disliked — my stay was too short
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JakePM
Stony Brook, NY
Reviewed July 21, 2007

As a resident of Stony Brook, this local, historical, 250 year old restaurant is known for their fine dining experience. My husband and I decided to have our wedding here, in front of the arbor, across from the main entry of this restaurant. Aside from adding some flowers to the arbor, this area was completely set up for this type of event for a fee. It was charming, elegant and romantic.

The only problem we had was that my minister mentioned to me, two nights before the wedding, that she would need a microphone and my DJ was unable to provide one on such short notice. (Clearly not the restaurants fault.) The background noise of the traffic was distracting though, and it was hard for voices to be heard, even for our small wedding.

When booking the wedding, initially we were greeted by Danny who showed us a lovely charming room for our reception. After many discussions, between my husband and myself, we went back and he was not available. Chrissy stepped right in and suggested we utilize a larger room to accommodate the dance floor we insisted on. Chrissy also suggested that we use the first room as our "just in case it rains" setting. Chrissy thought of all the little details we may just have not even considered. She was spectacular.

The day of the wedding, my minister called sick and had a replacement available. This was a second wedding for both of us and we knew to expect things to go wrong. This was not the inn's fault.

Nevertheless, the wedding went better than expected and the reception was carefully overseen by the Maitre'd Tio. Every request was fulfilled, without a flinch. The food was exceptional, as it has always been.

Aside from the minister issues, the wedding went smoothly and left warm, elegant, beautiful, lasting memories for all of us. I have not one major complaint.

Our reception ended at 4pm and we were not shoved out the door. We went back to the house and visited more with our relatives. Later that evening, my husband and I had a reserved a cottage.

Upon our return, Tio suggested we stay at a newly rennovated room upstairs. We took his suggestion and entered an adorable, newly rennovated country room, with a large, flat screen television over the fireplace. Across from that was a large, comfortable queen sized bed, with a very memorable, snug down comforter. The bathroom was divided and was spotless. The only complaint I have is that the room was too cold. Perhaps they turned up the air conditioner earlier, to accommodate the heat given off by our party. I did go to the bar and received a complimentary cup of tea to warm me up. Upon re-entering the room, I could still feel a cold blast of air as the door opened. I was grateful for that down comforter.

I am an early riser (5 AM), and upon awakening, I require my morning coffee. There was none available until 8 AM when breakfast is served. There was no where to walk to, very early in the morning for my java. There is a 7-11 on 25A, which is a very short drive, across from the railroad station.

This historical landmark is within one miles walk to the Grist Mill, Duck Pond, The Labyrinth (beautiful gardens) and the Stony Brook Museums. Across from Three Village Inn, is the Stony Brook Village Green, where on Sunday nights during the summer, free concerts are held. The recently rennovated Post Office, still displays its infamous eagle, which opens and closes its wings, during business hours, on the hour. There are many quaint shops to peruse. Don't forget to stop for an ice cream at the Brook House. Across the street to the left of the inn is Stony Brook Harbor, where you get a breath-taking view of the sunsets daily, for free!

This is a warm, charming, historical Inn, exactly what you would expect it to be. If you are expecting this inn to be like Atlantis (in the Bahamas), you will be disappointed. If you want old world charm, exceptional food and warm comfortable country rooms, this is exactly where you should go.

Aside from our notorious wedding date, 7/7/07, the Three Village Inn made our day the very best it could possibly be.

• Liked — Charming setting, amazing food and service.
  • Disliked — Nothing major, the a/c was a bit strong.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank Ican56
RedNYC1
Reviewed June 22, 2007

I had a terrible experience here. Booked a room in the Inn but when arrived was told that I had a room in the "cottages. I was told I could not see the room at noon as it was not made up. If I had seen it, I NEVER would have agreed to stay. Was escorted out the back kitchen door of the inn up a creepy winding path. The room was disgusting: old furniture, rusty bathroom, stained shower...and it all came with a huge spider. When I called the front desk to ask if someone could come and hunt down the spider, I was told "the spiders eat the bed bugs"...NOT a great joke for a creepy place. The hotel van "forgot" to pick up at the train station at a prearranged time. The driver did not help with the suitcase. He also just put the bag down when we arrived at the inn even though he was going to the front desk. (The van driver doubled as the front desk clerk). All in all...a horrible experience.

Stayed June 2007
2 Thank RedNYC1

Travelers are raving about these Stony Brook hotels

boston ma
Reviewed April 18, 2007

Our in-laws were going to have a party at the Three Village Inn's facilities, and we wanted to stay here for convenience. I made the reservation through travelocity. I called the hotel to confirm becuase I had a gut feeling, for some reason, that there was a problem. Sure enough, no record of the reservation. Even though Travelocity insisted that they had confirmation from the hotel, and I was armed with a reservation ID and a confirmation number, they wouldn't honor the reservation, and no rooms were availalble. I don't know who's fault it was, but the desk staff, though polite, were innefective. After 45 minutes of phone calls with both Travelocity and the hotel, I finally got the thing cancelled (though they wanted to charge me). Thankfully I found out the day before, and didn't show up with family in tow, to find out no room at the inn!! After reading other reviews, I'm kind of relieved we didn't end up staying here ! If you are reserved here, call and confrim-often.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank jah39a
Long Island, NY
Reviewed February 11, 2007

My hubby and I stayed here and took advantage of their "Romantic Get Away" Package. The room was very quaint, but very outdated. There wasn't really a view from the room at all (we stayed in one of the cottages) because the hedges were all overgrown. Someone else was parked in the spot that was supposed to be for our room, so we had to park a few cottages down and walk back...and it the lighting at night was not good.

We paid an extra $50 for a room with a fireplace, which was gas. The fuse must have blown out so it didn't work, which was a bummer. They did refund us the $50. There was a wine and cheese tray with fruit and crackers. It was pretty, but we were afraid to eat the cheese since it was obvious it was sitting out waiting for us for a while. The ice in the bucket that had the bottle of wine in it was completely melted and the cheese was wilted so we kind of figured out it was sitting there for a while.

The bed was uncomfortable. The decor is country and cute. Dinner at the Inn was nice and we did get a $50 gift certificate towards dinner that was included in the package. The food was good and the portion was decent, but it is overated and overpriced. Again, not much of a view even though we were at a window table because the hedges are too high!

Breakfast was included the next morning but was disappointing....the eggs and sausage were cold and the pastry was a little stale and definitely not fresh. It was a buffet and no one was around to refill certain items.

All in all, it was cute and nice to get away to be alone without kids. I can officially say "been there done that" but I doubt I will do it again. The entire night cost us close to $500 and it just wasn't worth it.

• Liked — It was country-themed
  • Disliked — Overated and Overpriced
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank NurseMom115
East Meadow, New York
Reviewed December 17, 2006

My husband and I had received gift certificates to spend one night at the Three Village Inn and after reading the horrible reviews I was expecting the worst. Luckily, because we were expecting the worst it turned out to not be that bad.

First off, we didn't pay for our stay. The room cost over $200 and was worth only $50. The bed was comfortable (despite the stain on the sheets) and the room was clean (despite the random kleenex handing for a ceiling light fixture). Yes the place is historic but I would have enjoyed a warm shower. Both my husband and I endured the most painfully, ice cold showers with barely there water pressure.

Dinner was delicious but overly expensive. $3 for a diet coke and a total bill of $90 for two people who didn't drink alcohol or have dessert.

Overall, my husband and I got a big laugh out of the whole thing.

• Liked — Historic maps in the hallways.
  • Disliked — The shower.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay here.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
#1 of 4 in Hauppauge
Hampton Inn Long Island - Brookhaven
Hampton Inn Long Island/Islandia
Hilton Garden Inn Islip/MacArthur Airport

Been to Three Village Inn? Share your experiences!