“Charming and Affordable”

Fort Place Bed & Breakfast
Reviewed April 23, 2014

My husband and I fell in love with this place! Where do I begin? The decor is Turn of The Century and full of charm and character. We had the suite on the first floor which had a full kitchen! The bed was comfy and we slept well each night. Our host Paul was friendly and attentive. The location was perfect! Just a short walk to the Ferry and then off to Manhattan each day. We were served a delicious breakfast each morning of fresh bread w/ butter and preserves, assorted fresh fruit, coffee and granola bars. My only suggestion is that he should change it up a bit. We had the exact same breakfast each day. But it really was good! All in all, we would definitely go back there!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lori A
There are newer reviews for Fort Place Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed March 15, 2014

My wife and I stayed at Fort Place Bed & Breakfast during a spring break trip to New York. We saw the positive reviews on TripAdvisor and decided to book a room, even though we were a little wary about staying all the way out on Staten Island. The room was far more affordable than anything in Manhattan, and it was an easy, short walk to the ferry terminal. The daily ferry commute into Manhattan was actually one of our favorite parts of the trip. The B&B is a wonderful old house with a lot of charm and character. Paul, the owner, is very nice and a perfect host for two introverts. He was present and helpful when we needed him, and he left us alone when we wanted privacy. Breakfast was a little disappointing - a loaf of white bread with cream cheese and some fruit - but this minor issue was the only defect. As other reviewers have noted, the street outside can get a bit noisy, but it wasn't a serious problem. We enjoyed being a part of the St. George community for our few days at the B&B.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank parksenthusiast
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I spent the weekend at Fort Place with my son, and the bed and breakfast was comfortable and peaceful after a day of trekking around Manhattan. Paul was a gracious host, and we enjoyed our second-floor room. The Staten Island ferry is only a 10-minute walk away, which was very convenient. We came and went early (5 a.m.) and late (11 p.m.), and felt safe walking to and from Fort Place each time. I liked getting away from the busy-ness of Manhattan and staying in a neighborhood setting.

The only downside is the street outside can be a little noisy through the night, with people yelling at times and cars driving by with music blaring at all hours of the night. However, I would not hesitate to stay at Fort Place again or recommended it as an affordable place to stay on a trip to NYC.

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor. The room was spacious, and we had the large bathroom to ourselves. Al...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Martha M
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Paul is owner and he is one fantastic person!
The room Was clean and confort! I have been with my family! I had also one esclusive kitchen. Paul has asked our preferences for breakfast and he Was timely all mornings for carry breakfast we in our room! This Was fantastic! I will return in future here!!!
Thank you so much dear paul!
Carmen from italy

Room Tip: If you arrive in airport i advise to take one take! This is solution + easy and economy!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Carmen C
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Fort Place is a lovely place - it's very real. It's a big house with character in a residential neighborhood. It's across the street from a little deli/convenience store and a quick walk to a few other shops and restaurants. It is a brief, easy walk to the ferry station - although, as other reviews have mentioned, the walk back after a long day of walking is made rough by a steep hill. There are three stories; my friend and I were in one of two rooms on the second floor. The bathroom and "kitchen" (microwave, fridge, toaster) would have been shared, but there was no one in the other room. The only issue I had with my visit was the parking situation. Listing "free parking" as amenity is somewhat misleading. There is no parking lot; there is a 2-car driveway, and the owner of the B&B has a car. After parking down the street, we tried to call the B&B but couldn't get an answer. Eventually, we did get to park in the driveway, but I'm unsure of how the parking would work if there were more guests - it's not enough to knock the review down to 4 stars, but it is something consider. PS, if you stay here, the quick, free trip to Manhattan is fantastic - but don't overlook all that Staten Island has to offer as well.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank amberd542
Reviewed May 8, 2013

The owner Paul was very accommodating and helpful. The room was clean, very large and bright with many windows. The bed was firm and we slept great. Paul even let us leave our bags and vehicle after we checked out so we could spend the day in Manhattan. Wonderful!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pennedbulls
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We found the neighborhood to be in transition, but very quiet at night.As two women, we felt very safe walking around. Located near a school, on street parking is limited and the property has no parking lot. We were on the front of the B&B and the room was clean, very comfortable bed but carpeting was a tad shabby. The proprietor is attentive and makes a wonderful breakfast presentation.The deli across the street is good and the location is walkable to the ferry to Lower Manhattan!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends