“Quaint, adorable, not much to do.”

The Conference House
More attraction details
Owner description: Benjamin Franklin and John Adams met at this house early in the Revolutionary War with British Admiral Richard Howe to discuss whether an end to the war could be negotiated.
Staten Island, New York, United States
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Quaint, adorable, not much to do.”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

When the Conference House hosts an event it's worth the trip. However, it's not worth visiting the same event twice. For example, a couple of years ago my family and I visited the Conference House for the annual Colonial Christmas. There was a Father Christmas who explained the early traditions and some raffles. We wandered around and looked at all the adorable rooms and how they were furnished. We returned this year to the same exact experience. I loved it but it was difficult to expand on my previous experience. I had decided to wander the grounds and purchased a couple of herbs and teas from the Staten Island Historical Herb Society. Very sweet people at the Conference House. It's a nice place to visit...You just have to make your own experience from it.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Alicia M

Lutherville, Maryland
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Not easy to find but worth seeing!”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This house is the site where peace commissioners from both sides met fairly early during the American Revolution in an attempt to resolve the differences between the American patriots and the British. My wife and I received a very informative tour from a young man who really knew his history. The only negative is the difficulty of finding this place: it's located in Tottenville on the southern end of Staten Island (hint: it's nowhere near the Staten Island Ferry). Nevertheless, American Revolution buffs will definitely want to make the trip and check it out.

Visited October 2012
Staten Island, New York
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Soo much history!”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

The park itself is beautiful! Lots of trails to jog or bike through, lots of fun events to participate in such as the Million Trees Planting, the Conference house offers a sweet little tour of the house with plenty of history.

Visited March 2012
Staten Island, New York
143 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 130 helpful votes
“Really interesting part of Revolutionary history”
Reviewed April 28, 2012

My family has visited here numerous times since I moved here. We have learned so much about the peace conference of 1776 held here that is rarely mentioned in books or documentaries. Rutledge, Adams, and Franklin met here with Lord Richard Howe. This was a final meeting before the war to determine if England would agree to give us our independence. Such fascinating history. The house is now a museum and is well worth the tour fee. My little one enjoyed it to. Outside of the conference house itself there are wonderful harbor views, trails, and festivals held on the grounds. We have even been to a few puppet shows. In the summer once of the Festivals has petting zoo, kayaking, surf fishing, and local artist. This is a really neat place on the South Shore.

Visited August 2011
3 Thank Pietrosmom
Staten Island, New York, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Saturday Easter Event”
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Dear President

I attended your Saturday Easter Egg Event with my Granddaughter and I would like to give you my insight on the event if you don't mind.................I have handled many children events such as your's for Museums for 20 years. But before I start Please allow me to Thank You for what your doing for our Children "Today" They need it.!!!!

Stamping/Baskets.* * * * *
Fast and Friendly welcoming reception.

Face Paint * * *
A Kids favorite, a very busy table, and the staff handled each child on an individual bases which was nice.
unfortunately children without a stamp were cutting the line and being taken first, as for the rest of us, we just had to be patient.

Suggestion; Extra Table & Staff/Volunteer and check admission Stamp before Face painting

Art & Crafts tables *
I couldn't stand long enough at this table , the table was to small and unfortunately there was to many kids making enough crafts for their entire family, making it impossible for other children to make just one (1) craft.

Suggestion; Extra Table and at least one (1) Staff/Volunteer to control the amount of crafts being made by one child.

Egg Tables *
Egg coloring table; Children were clearly enjoying the opportunity to color their eggs, but unfortunately Parent were forcing their children to color 1 to 2 dozens of eggs , spoiling their kids excitement of the event and holding up the table for others whom only wanted to color 2 or 3 eggs. And at the time of my coloring there was no supervision.

Suggestion; At least one (1) Staff/Volunteer per table to control the amount of eggs being colored by one child.

Hoola Hooping * * * * *
Very Friendly Staff/Volunteers, My Granddaughter just couldn't get enough of them. They were Great with the kids.

Petting Zoo * * *
A very nice attraction for all ages, and the Staff/Volunteer was great with the kids and Animals but she clearly need help. there was to much pushing and shoving going on.

Suggestion; a couple extra feet between cages and one (1) extra Staff/Volunteer and the bucket of Animal Food should be handled by a Staff member or Volunteer "NOT as a seat for the visitors................

Egg Hunt
The most important and Special event of the day, spoiled because greedy parents just couldn't help themselves, I saw parents knock over other children just to get their child more eggs, while other children walked away from the battle with bruises and empty baskets. again 3 young males without a stamp hoarding most of the eggs in their shirts, I know there was no stamp because i asked to shake their hands. I did however get two eggs for my granddaughter but i gave them to a young child crying because she didn't get any.

Suggestion; NO Parents allowed in the PIT!!!!!, all children allowed to only pick up 2 or 3 Eggs, this event should be held last and as many volunteers/Staff to be present in the pit................

Pets
Although on a chain one man with his Shepherd constantly allowed his dog to lunges/jump at children and Adults as he walked through the crowed, when I had enough I approached the female supervisor and she told me there was nothing she could do because the dog was on a leash, therefore putting the children and adults in harms way...... In addition there were three (3) other dogs urinating in and around the Potato Sack Races making it very unsanitary for any child to play in......While one women who had picked up her dogs doo said she couldn't find a trash pail so she throw it on the ground so she wouldn't have to carry it.....................

Last but not least
There was 3 or 4 other young female claming to be Staff/Volunteers but yet they were NO help to the visitors or other Staff Member.

Thank You for allowing my Voice to be heard.
Mr. & Mrs. B