“Best sangria on island”

La Candela Espanola
Ranked #218 of 919 Restaurants in Staten Island
Cuisines: Spanish
Reviewed August 8, 2017

Awesome family ran restaurant. Best sangria on Staten Island. My favorite is enchilada La Candela .. there is a reason why this restaurant has been in business for many many years .. it is consistently excellent.

Reviewed June 24, 2017 via mobile

First the good, the bread was fresh, nacho chips were warm and the salsa had a distinctive bean taste which was very good and different from the usual salsa. The gazpacho was delicious and so were the beef empanadas. I had high expectations for the paella I had ordered. Unfortunately, it wasn't good. The dish was so bland. Although the presentation looked great, the rice was completely tasteless. Spanish food should have a nice combination of flavors, this dish didn't even seem to have even a bit of salt and pepper. The shrimp oreganata was better but nothing memorable. Don't think I would eat here again. There are better places. I had gone here because I had a Groupon. I have found that restaurants that offer Groupons tend not to be that great. There is a reason for the discounts.

Reviewed March 23, 2016

Everything about LaCandela is wonderful! The service, the food, the Sangria! Attentive staff, from Bartender to BusBoy! Manhattan-style service, smiling staff, and beautiful ambiance! Complimentary delicious chili & chips to begin. The entrees come with a small salad bowl -- lettuce topped with a tomato -- just enough! We do have our favorite dishes, but any dish we order, never a disappointment! Desserts are unique and delicious -- if you have room for them! As well as the 'specialty coffees'. Enjoy!!

Reviewed January 7, 2016

My husband and I went there on New Year's Eve for dinner. The place was packed. We were seated within 20 minutes. Then service was quick and courteous. My husband had Spanish and I went with Mexican. We both enjoyed our meals and appetizers. The red sangria was also very good. We also had dessert. But, neither of us were thrilled with those items.

Reviewed August 28, 2015

This place just wasn't for me. Parked in their lot behind the restaurant, and it started off with a bad stench in the air (not sure if it was from them or not) 4 course started with salad which is iceberg lettuce with a slice of tomato with an orange dressing. Had their Galician soup which tasted good, but couldn't enjoy as it had these white hard to chew things in it (couldn't figure out what it was),that I had to keep on spitting out and placing on a dish. Spouse and I ordered 2 veal dishes which were just okay. Rice was plain. Potatoes were oily, limp and tasteless. Finished with dessert and coffee. I knew once I saw the orange colored flan, it was not going to be for me, and it wasn't. Worst flan I've ever eaten.Then of course had to pass that bad odor on the way back to the car. As I stated, it just wasn't for me, however you might enjoy.

1  Thank FLB18