“Just Okay !!”

La Candela
Ranked #366 of 919 Restaurants in Staten Island
Cuisines: Spanish
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Still draws people, we now have better restaurants with type of food on Staten Island.....service not great, food, ok?

Reviewed July 21, 2014

I'm not sure why I sat down. As soon as we walked in, the musty smell almost knocked us out. My wife always said this place was great many years ago. It was my first time and it was filthy, and the food was actually sour. Even the soda had a awful taste. My guess is like everything else in this restaurant they are not cleaning the fountain machines where the soda came from. This place is definitely on its last leg. The outside grade was pending, I'm sure they are fighting a C or D from the city. It really looked like a place that needs a visit from the Board of Health. I did not complain because I felt bad for the waiter. He was very nice and looked down and out and actually a little disheveled. I paid the high bill and left a good tip, but I will never be back. I'm sure if they will be closed soon. I am 50 years old and eat out a lot and this was by far the worst dining experience and the worst food I have ever experienced. They have no right being in business.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

Friends, and my husband and I went for dinner very recently. I knew when I tasted their red sauce and chips things had changed. We ordered lobster tails with "crabmeat", this was the worst lobster and no crabmeat I ever had. The Spanish potatoes were dark brown with a soggy greasy taste, it seems like the oil had been used over and over . This restaurant was once a favorite, but things have changed and we agreed we won't go back.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

My wife's family has been going to this restaurant for many years (perhaps as many as 15 years). My Father in law is "friends" and on a first name basis with the owner and many of the staff. In particular, the family goes to this restaurant on special occasions and for many years on Christmas Eve. This restaurant has always been very busy on Christmas Eve in past years...so we called ahead and let them know that the family, including 13 people would be coming over to their restaurant. This was done 1 week prior to Christmas Eve, and confirmed two days before. When we got there, the individual at the bar and another wait person seemed to be surprised at our arrival and seemed to be getting a bit frantic... The owner walked in and began to say that they did not have servers enough to handle our party; that they could not open up their other half of the restaurant (despite the fact that they had in past years). They basically were not going to seat us or service us in any fashion.... We left, and ended up about 25 miles away in an attempt to find another restaurant that could accommodate us. Let me say that I personally always enjoyed the food at this restaurant, but always recognized the "indifference" and "who cares" attitude of the owner...which has rubbed off on the staff as well... I would encourage anyone to find another Spanish-style restaurant on Staten Island.

2  Thank Andersons6_5
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Food was good, service was very good. Menu was diverse if you are going with people that aren't into the Spanish/Mexican food.

Sangria was ok...thought $28 a pitcher was a little pricey considering 1/2 of the pitcher was ice....then add the fruit...a little pricey.

for four people -- 2 pitchers of sangria, 2 appetizers, 4 entrees, 2 desserts and 1 coffee and generous tip $120 per couple.