“A Great Place To Walk”

Franklin D. Roosevelt Boardwalk and Beach
Reviewed July 21, 2014

I live on Staten Island and enjoy walking, quite awhile ago I discovered the Boardwalk. I most enjoy walking late in the afternoon from the Midland Beach entrance to the very end at Souoth Beach and back again. This walk takes me past the Ocean Breeze Fishing Pier, the Turtle Fountain, South Beach Grill and the chance to say hello to the many different kinds of people who walk there. It is a greatand always different experience each time. I especially like to stop at the signs along the way that tellme where I am and a little of the history, my favorite being the signboard that talks about the bungalows of SI. As a person who grew up in the bungalows of Rockaway Beach I really appreciate that little bit of history. The view of the Verrazano Bridge as I walk towards South Beach is always spectacular and changes as the sun begins to go down,as I come back the ocean is in my line of vision and its ever changing moods give me a feeling of calm and inner peace. Sometimes I stop outside of the South Finn Grill and listen to the music, sometimes I stop at the boardwalk cafe for some Uncle Louie G's ices, sometimes there is a wedding on the beach, or I watch the people kayaking. It is always different and the 2 1/2 mile walk each way is the perfect way to keep in shape. If you live on SI and don't walkthe boardwalk you don't know what you are missing.

2  Thank dorothy g
There are newer reviews for Franklin D. Roosevelt Boardwalk and Beach

Reviewed July 15, 2014

The boardwalk itself is beautiful and clean. It's not like the typical boardwalk one would expect at a vacation destination with rides, games and shops. It's great for running, walking, bicycle riding, dog walking etc. They do host back to the boardwalk night during July which is a great turnout and lots of fun.
There are bathrooms alond the boardwalk and water fountains. There's also a restaurant and catering hall.
I play softball here at the softball fields.
Parking is free.
Boardwalk backs up to Miller Field.
Sand is clean in the main parts, typical orangeish Staten Island sand, due to the high clay content in the ground. The less traveled parts of the beach should be stayed away from because it appears that at night, people do drugs there and leave behind various drug related items. I didn't know that tampon applicators and straws were for drugs but I was told that's why there were so many straws and applicators in a certain area. Now this does not mean that these items are all over the beach, just some secluded parts where most people wouldn't go to anyway, so dont let this deter you, let it make you aware.

1  Thank Healthygina-aol-com
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Living in Staten Island I get to use this facility every day. The boardwalk stretches for 2 1/ miles and is well maintained. It is wooden from fort Wadsworth to the war memorial and then concrete to Miller field. It is loaded with parks, ball fields, benches and picnic tables (nearer Miller field). Restroom facilities can be found all along the boardwalk. Parking is plentiful and FREE. There are at least 5 parking areas along the beach with 3 being very large and the others are large (about 50 cars in the smaller ones 750 to 1000 in the larger)
It is great for biking, walking running, or just plain watching a local ball game. There are ample children's playgrounds along the boardwalk. Food can be found in stores near Father Cap blvd.

This is truly a must see.
If you go on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon about 4:30 PM you can watch the cruise ships exiting the Harbor.

Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

I love the boardwalk. We live only 5 minutes away and if I wanted could walk it but we usually drive. There's ample parking so no problem there. Whatever your pleasure is you can do it here. Bicycle,running,fishing,sunbathing just sitting and reading its a safe pleasant, enjoyable atmosphere.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Looking for a REALLY long boardwalk that's only a bit crowded on the weekends and pretty quiet at other times? Start off at the very beginning at it's north entrance, or a little farther down at Father Capodanno Blvd. and Sand Lane. At the latter point there is a sea food restaurant and a few snack places. Bath and changing rooms are a bit south of the Sand Lane entrance, where there is also parking. A wide beach, it's dotted with wooded and bushy areas. I hope you like the sun, because there is NO SHADE except at a pavilion with a few seats at the Sand Lane entrance. If you like to fish, walk all the way south (away from the Verrazano Narrows Bridge, which is behind you) and make your way to the new fishing pier, where there are soda machines and working fountains to clean your fish. A real dream-day for sun lovers! Wear a hat! Also, the boardwalk is wheelchair accessible by ramp. And I just remembered that on the other side of the boardwalk (the west side) in a few spots there are park facilities, even a bocce court, when you can keep the kids busy.

1  Thank TIM V