“Too much wine and not enough food!”
Review of Cielo Ristorante

Cielo Ristorante
Ranked #120 of 869 Restaurants in Staten Island
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Went to Cielo recently for a party in the upstairs room. I did not like that the room is split because I didnt feel connected to the other party-goers on the lower level. We got there at 4pm and the wine began to flow. No sooner did you finish taking a sip, the waiter was there filling your glass again. (I asked for seltzer and diet coke) There was NO BREAD or any food at the table for an hour, just a constant refilling of wine wine wine. As I noticed my tablemates getting woozy, I asked the waiter if he could bring out some bread. Eventually, 2 small baskets of cubed bread came on the table, one for each end. Slowly but surely, hot antipasto came out. Two small plates of fried calamari, one for each end of the table, appeared. After 2 people passed the plate, there wasnt enough left for the rest of our end of the table. That plate could of served TWO people, not the SIX people that were sitting there. In all fairness, they were delicious, but there wasnt enough. Next came the eggplant rolettini....again, we passed our plate around and of course, two people ended up splitting one tiny rolettini because after taking just ONE EACH, there was not enough on the plate for our side of the table. We were SIX people, there were NOT SIX rolettini on the plate. OK, someone asked the waiter for more and nothing ever came. Then, a small salad of what looked like weeds plucked from a garden appeared. YUK! No one ate that from our table. Then a small scoop of pasta with sauce came in a HUGE dish. That was tasty but not enough. Our entree choices were salmon, chicken francais, veal parmeggiano. I took the veal, smart choice, it was a nice sized piece with 2 string beans and 2 shreds of carrots and 2 tiny pieces of potato next to it. My husband ordered the chicken, which was 2 tiny pieces and the same amount of vegetables. The veal was very good, the chicken had no taste whatsoever. And the wine continued to flow.....the waiters were fast and efficient, tables cleaned off, etc. The HEAT in the upstairs section was unbearable!!!! We asked to have the a/c raised and was told that was as high as it went. My suggestion to management would be to add 2 big ceiling fans to that upstairs room so the a/c could circulate better.
I have eaten in many restaurants and I would just rate this as an average place. I am sure this party cost a TON OF MONEY, so I ask, Why so skimpy on the food?????? Bread is CHEAP, put some out before you begin to get people sloshed with the wine. I dont know if the wine was included in the cost per person or if there was a running bar tab. If that was the case, I can see why they kept trying to empty bottles of wine into people's glasses!!!! Why not just put a bottle of red and white on the table? Everyone could help themselves. Why did I have to ask the waiter 14 times for a COKE and SELTZER? Why couldnt there be a pitcher of soda on the table? I dont understand it. Once again, this was an expensive party and I felt there wasnt enough on the table.
PLEASE, put bread on the table BEFORE you serve the booze. Secondly, PLEASE add 2 ceiling fans to that upstairs room before people pass out from heat exhaustion! These are my recommendations for your restaurant. Thank you.

Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

I absolutely love this restaurant ! It is my favorite Italian restaurant on the island. I've tried others but keep coming back here. I've never had a bad experience or bad meal here. They offer a wide selection of entrees and the food is amazing. The meals are flavorful and delicious.
The staff is very friendly and attentive. They accommodate any food requests that you have.
The atmosphere is also nice. The tables are not on top of each other, which allows for a more private dining experience. Also, the staff never rushes you.
If you want an enjoyable, delicious meal and a nice night out,I highly suggest coming here!

2  Thank Menugirl12
Reviewed May 14, 2013

They have a wonderful prix-fix lunch; our favorite dish is pasta with Bolognese sauce. The bread is so yummy and the food is delicious, as is the service.

2  Thank SuzieQ044
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Had a party 25 adults, 15 kids. Kids were $18.00 each as agreed. When we received the bill they tried to charge $35.00 per child for French Fries and Chicken Fingers. Were told its now busy season and they could have filled the room with all adults. We refused to pay the $35.00 and they threaten me and my wife and then called the police. Police came and we ended up paying the $18.00. Stay away from this place so many other better restaurants on Staten Island. Bunch of liars and cheats running this place.

7  Thank ryan08857
Reviewed March 15, 2013

The food was good, prices were ok to a little high, but nice portions. Service was ok, not great. Bring a sweater, it's freezing year round.

1  Thank MrsBattsNY