“Great margaritas and guacamole!”

Maizal Restaurant - Staten Island
Ranked #4 of 23 Dessert in Staten Island
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Maizal is an Fine Mexican Cuisine Restaurant that attracts customers with high expectations for great cuisine and fantastic margaritas. Its category differs from the most common Mexican Restaurants in NY as we created a restaurant that would fit perfectly in Mexico City's best neighborhoods for its varied recipes, risky recipes and beautiful art.
Staten Island, New York
“Great margaritas and guacamole!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

My boyfriend and I love this place. This is one of our go to restaurants on Bay Street. It has great drinks, good food and a nice atmosphere. The bar area is a bit small if you have to wait for a table, so I would recommend calling for a reservation. The brunch is delicious too! Once in a while they have a coupon on AmazonLocal...definitely worth purchasing! Overall, always a good experience.

• Visited March 2014

New York City, New York
“Like: Food, Staff, Drinks”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

The atmosphere and staff – both warm and friendly. Ever ready to explain things on the menu and take time to get to know their customer. Good Mexican food, with very fresh, homemade guacamole, as is the Sangria and Margarita. Overall, a good restaurant.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank masik60158
New York City, New York
“Great food and ambiance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Wonderful service, super fresh and tasty food, very comfortable and warm atmosphere. Love this restaurant. Great margaritas, guacamole and everything I've ever eaten there. This is my favorite restaurant on Staten Island.

Visited December 2013
Staten Island, New York
“Just not my type of restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

I tried this restaurant as my daughter purchased a certificate from Amazon Local. Certificate said you must call to make a reservation. They only accept reservations for 4 or more. Restaurant atmosphere was nice, but more for date night. My spouse and I are in our mid 50's. Between the music and the usual restaurant noise on a Saturday night, we could not hear anything our waitress said. We really stopped for a quick bite to eat, not a leisurely full dinner. and quick it was! We were served in about 5 minutes. I had steak fajitas. It was displayed beautifully, bottom layer was plantains, topped with rice, then onions/peppers, with the steak placed on top. I was disappointed, as if there was 3 oz of meat on the top it was a lot, and none of the dishes was as hot as they should have been for just being prepared which led me to believe most of the food was pre-prepped. My husband ordered the paella. Again, items layered, not cooked together as you would expect from paella. Daughter ordered Steak Ranchero, again not much meat as you would expect for $25, but served nicely. She said that she might come back and try their brunch, as she still has 1 more certificate but none of us are looking to go back again, especially when there are so many other restaurants we still haven't tried in Staten Island.

• Visited September 2013
lzelaya88, Manager at Maizal Restaurant - Staten Island, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your comments.
We are sorry to hear that we disappointed you on your first visit. It is always our goal to deliver a great experience to all our customers.
Maizal is a family owned and managed small restaurant and reservations for such a small place present an internal challenge. At the request of many we decided to accept reservations for groups of four or larger. Smaller groups are encouraged to come in without a reservation, unless they have a discounted voucher from Amazon or Groupon. It is a standard policy of Amazon and our restaurant that those customers using the largely discounted voucher for weekend nights to reserve a table and to alert the restaurant of your intent to redeem it. Unfortunately we didn't have your reservation and you did not call to say you planned to use the voucher on a busy night.

It is worth mentioning that the meat portions served at Maizal are 8 ounces of steak or fish. The portions are pre-weighted and the claim that 3 ounces were served is inaccurate.

Maizal and it's team of local server would never purposely ignore our customers. We truly care for our customers as you are the only reason we stay open.

We thank you again for your comment.

Leonel Zelaya, GM
Staten Island, New York
“Was Great, But Lost Their Edge”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

When this restaurant first opened the service as great as the food. We had eaten here several times early on. In recent monthes when visiting we often had to leave because the wait was too long. This past weekend we went on Saturday Night. I was glad upon arrival to see that several tables were empty. It was Labor Day Weekend so I assume many people were travelling. We waited a few minutes to be seated. Why? I don't know, but I was patient. Upon being shown to a table we waited several minutes for service. No chips, No Salsa, No would you like a drink. The staff were engaged in conversation, but not attentive to the customers. I finally gave up and left. If the owner is reading this he should know that he lost a good customer and that to stay on top you need to constantly work on your service excellence.

• Visited September 2013
lzelaya88, Owner at Maizal Restaurant - Staten Island, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Sir.

I am sorry to read that you gave Maizal one star. I would also feel disappointed if I sat at a restaurant and was purposely ignored by the employees. Maizal is not a large restaurant where this can happen without a member of my family or myself being present. We manage the restaurant every single day and you will always see one of us there. While I will not attempt to deny or justify your experience, a manager or family member is always available to communicate with.

Leonel Zelaya, GM.