“Best meal on Staten Island”
Review of The French Tart

The French Tart
Ranked #140 of 894 Restaurants in Staten Island
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The French Tart is a small bistro. Each dish is prepared to spcified customer instructions.. I will be going back!
Reviewed January 30, 2013

The French Tart is a neighborhood gem, it is the only restaurant worthy of a trip from the other boroughs! You'll be greeted by Laurent and his wife Esperanza. Laurent is a consummate foodie, always working with the freshest ingredients in season. Esperanza is the hostess who'll make you feel right at home. There are a few menus, a tasting menu, the daily specials, and the regular menu. The meal begins with a basket of hot, fresh baked bread with the most delicious herbed butter you've ever tasted! Don't fill up on bread, though, theres just too much good stuff to chose from! When it comes to appetizers, the French Onion soup is superlative and the escargots are ridiculous (a great excuse to eat more bread, you can't waste that delicious garlicky oil)! My wife is quite fond of the tuna tartare served over the freshest guacamole I've ever tasted. It's difficult to say which main course is best, but in the winter it is hard to beat Laurent's cassoulet, a hearty bean stew with duck confit and French sausage. Another favorite is the lamb chops. I've had them with fresh peach jam and with honey. Either way, they are delicious. Regardless of which entree you chose, the sides are equally satisfying. Whether its the best ratatouille this side of Paris or my sons favorite, the pomme frites (warning, you cannot stop eating them), you will finish diner with a big smile and your pants unbuttoned! If you have room, have dessert. My wife and I usually get two chocolate suicides to go (with a palmiers thrown in for the next day). One caveat about dessert, if soufflé is on the menu and you fix on getting two, you have to order with your meal, it takes a while. Do not hesitate to do so, these soufflés are the most delicious creations on this planet! Another ethereal dessert is the chocolate ravioli. It's not always on the menu, but it is so worth getting if it is! Keep an eye out for Amazon Local or Groupon as Laurent often offers great deals on both of these sites.

2  Thank Jjg226

Reviewed January 25, 2013

We've always wanted to visit France, haven't gotten there yet, but everytime we dine at Chez Laurent, we feel as if we've been there for a couple hours! Laurent is an amazing chef; some of our favorite dishes are his lamb chops with peaches and shrimp over fresh Jersey corn (to die for: it was all we could do to restrain ourselves and not lick the plate!) He makes his own butter, bread, desserts, I do not know when this man sleeps! Esperanza, Laurent's lovely wife, is your server for the evening. Laurent comes over and tells you the evening's specials and will take his time and answer any questions you may have. When he suggests an entree or appetizer, take his advice, we've never regretted it! The restaurant is BYOB but Laurent also has a large selection of French sodas which are very refreshing. Sometime Esperanza and Laurent's son Daniel is in residence, giving the restaurant even more of a European feel where the whole family is involved in the business! I do not know how Laurent wound up in our little corner of the world, I am just thankful that he did! Do yourself a favor and don't miss this gem of a restaurant and a wonderful slice of France!

4  Thank Kat1110
Reviewed January 22, 2013

This is by far the best French restaurant in all of New York. I love the intimate, laid back atmosphere and have so enjoyed my talks with the delightful proprietor, Laurent and his lovely wife Esperanza. If you come in the afternoon, you can find Laurent's son busy at the computer while Mom and Dad cook. His buche de noel and other desserts are wonderfully authentic and he has a really extensive array of wonderful French products. I recently tried his marrons glacee and incredibly good honey from Normandy. It is a gift to all of us to have this place at our fingertips here in Staten Island. Dinner is wonderful-a little pricey but well worth it-and once you taste it, you just know that you are in the hands of a master! Don't miss an opportunity to go here. You will be so glad you did.

2  Thank Joan H
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We didn't know what to expect when trying the French Tart for dinner last week.

Its location is unassuming and upon walking in, it appears to be a little French bakery and market. There are about ten tables that were set for dinner, but the daytime bakery case remains teasing the diner with its pies, quiches and croissants before even peeking at the menu.

The menu was very extensive and very French. From start to finish, everything we had was perfect. We began by splitting a cheese and charcuterie plate, which was plentiful and delicious. My fiance then had the lamb chop - extremely fragrant and unique; while I had the seafood in lobster sauce with jasmine rice - warm, soothing and luxurious.

It is BYOB and we brought our own bottle. The desserts looked divine, but we were stuffed. We took home two of their homemade Rocher truffles.... and a quiche, which we saved as part of our dinner at home the next night.

The service was pleasant and personable. Chef Laurent told us about his specialties, and his adorable toddler son strolled around to check on customers. The atmosphere isn't haute, but the food makes up for it. While not inexpensive, it was really one of the most wonderful meals we have had on Staten Island, and was undoubtedly worth its price.

3  Thank VLnyc
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Keen on french cuisine, we have been to a lot of french restaurants all around the city, all very good, but I must say, chef Laurant is just a Genius. HIs food is refined and it is a just pure pleasure for the senses at each bite. I highly recommend his coucous which is from far the best one I'v ever tasted. Trust me, I am from France so I know french food.
Once again, Bravo, Laurent for your excellent work.

1  Thank chrisdurand27