“A striking performance space”
Review of St. George Theatre

St. George Theatre
Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

This theatre, reminiscent of the gilded age, is fully restored and active for performances including music, comedy and others. The staff is friendy and devoted. The theatre has also served as the setting for the TV show "Smash" and others. Its like going back in time - in a wonderful way.

There are newer reviews for St. George Theatre

Reviewed March 5, 2014

This past Sunday, I brought my grandchildren (ages 6 & 4) to the St.George theatre to see a production of the Wizard of Oz. As it was also a fundraiser for the pediatric cancer center for the hospital I work for I was anxious to go. The last time I was at this theatre was in June of 1971 @ my Junior High Graduation. I remember this theatre as a beautiful old place. The theatre had been reconditioned several years ago. It is still as beautiful as I remember it. The seats in the orchestra had been replaced & were comfy. I did not get to see how the balcony had been refinished. Everyone in the area we sat in had an unobstructed view of the stage & the sound system made it easy for everyone to hear the dialogue on stage. I would definitely go back to this grand old venue to see another performance.

1  Thank Katherine F
Reviewed January 9, 2014

This theater is one of the last of its kind in NYC, and there is nothing like it, left on Staten Island. It is a beautiful venue, that should be supported at all costs!
If it ever closes again, SI would have lost a gem that can not be replaced!

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Beautifully restored. Seating for the upper mezzanine was equivalent to 4 flights of stairs then down a section that was steep (no handrails naturally) for front mezzanine seats. Inadequate stairs lighting during showtime made me feel uncomfortable in emergency. My only choice would be for orchestra seats. A side note - if you park more than a half block away (at the parking garage or around the corner), you will be walking up a hill to get to the theatre. You need to be in shape to get to hte theatre and also if youre sitting in the mezzanine.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

The St. George Theatre has been around for a very long time.
In the past it was an elegant movie theatre situated up the hill from the S. I. Ferry Terminal and steps away from Borough Hall and the St. George Public Library. We were there for a benefit comedy show. The proceeds were to go to victims of Hurricane Sandy who lost possessions and damage to their homes. The theatre was restored by a mother and now her daughters have taken over. They do a terrific job. To view upcoming events go to Awe(in the Staten Island Advance newspaper)or to www.silive.com. There is a parking garage one block away as well as street parking.