“A very Friendly and Relaxing place. Really enjoyed the stay”

Hilton Garden Inn New York/Staten Island
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Staten Island
GreenLeadersBronze level
Staten Island, New York
“A very Friendly and Relaxing place. Really enjoyed the stay”
Reviewed September 9, 2010

The Hilton Garden is a very nice place to stay. The rooms the food and the spa were
all very good. I would say to anyone its a pleasent suprise at all levels.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Reviewed August 31, 2010

First off I need to say, that I was very hesitant to even book a room for my wedding night. Just the price to stay in the hotel astonished me. I mean really $200.00 to stay on Staten Island – REALLY?? It’s Staten Island for Pete’s sake!!! So between the cost and the bad reviews – I did wait till late minute to book –

just a bad, bad – horrible experience!

True to the SI experience!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
SANCHEZ1421, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Staten Island, responded to this review, September 6, 2010
I am very sorry that the room rates were not where you had expected them to be for the weekend you were looking for but we have had a high demand for our rooms in the area for the last year. This has made it possible for us to charge rates in the area of $200.00 per night which may seem overpriced to guests. Once again I am very sorry that the stay was not up to par with your standards. If there any concerns with the staff and the services you used please feel free to contact me so I can help shed light on the situation and hopefully make it a more enjoyable stay with us if you are back in the area another time.
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed August 15, 2010

Front desk was a virtual nightmare. I am absolutely astounded at how this place could have gotten so many good reviews.
When we checked in with confirmed reservations within a contracted reserved wedding block of rooms, we were told that not only were we NOT part of the 10 room block or even on the same floor--but also that we did not have the adjoining rooms we had been told were already confirmed and available. The front desk clerk was completely incompetent who out and out lied about not having the type of rooms available for us that we had booked. In fact, she said that the reason was that "another guest had extended their stay" (as if the place was fully occupied.) A trainee, also on duty, offered that perhaps I should have made reservations by phone and not online...but this is not always possible. You cannot book different kinds of rooms online either. I did call the hotel both before I made the reservations and was advised to call immediately following as well--which I did. So I do not think this was a good excuse for what occurred.

Things got worse after we accepted 2 separate rooms on the same floor for the first night with the promise that a manager would see us the next morning to help us with our accommodations for the next 2 days--and that there were no guarantees that we would ever get what we booked at all. Just off the elevator, the whole 3rd floor hallway smelled badly, and upon opening the door to the well worn room, we smelled something even worse, a disgusting moldy bag in one of the cabinets that had completely molded through and into the wood cabinet as well. We wondered how long it had been there and took this object to the front desk and asked for another room--where we then had to haul all of our things yet again. At one point on a trip downstairs to return keys, the same desk clerk with an attitude was very unprofessional and she started yelling at my husband--which was the first time I had ever seen anything like that in over 30 years of travel! My husband had no alternative but to respond in kind...which attracted one nice female bartender who told us that a manager would be in at 11pm that same night and would speak to us. Around 11:30pm, we were back in the lobby to see our son off after he dropped off tuxedos and the manager somehow was almost miraculously able to give us 2 adjoining rooms on another floor for our entire 3 night stay. She was very nice to remedy this, but we left feeling lied to from the very beginning by the desk clerk. So, we moved to the third and final set of rooms on the 5th floor around midnight--which were in better shape and appeared cleaner at least. The mattress was comfortable--and had decent pillows.

To be fair, I will add that the breakfast staff in the morning were trained well and quite competent (Sal was very nice). Breakfast is made to order and there was a nice selection including fresh fruit. Family members also enjoyed a dinner in the restaurant Friday night and were pleased with their meals.

The day of the wedding though, when a friend flew into Newark airport and called for the hotel shuttle to come for her, she was told that it had to be reserved in advance (which they neglect to tell you in any hotel info--only that they offer this shuttle service to and from the Newark airport--so you have to ask). The shuttle was going to the ferry first, and our friend was told that she would have to wait 1.5 hours for it to get to her--which made her arrive at the hotel very late. As a result, as soon as she arrived, she immediately reserved the shuttle to take her back the next day at 10am. But when she went to leave the next day, the front desk told her that there were 13 people taking the shuttle to the ferry and that it would not be taking her to the airport until it got back. This was unacceptable and she insisted that she had made a reservation and had a flight to catch. The clerk told her that someone at the desk wrote only "10am airport" down and did not properly complete their form, so I guess their incompetence gives them the right to deny what you reserved in earnest--so nothing here seems guaranteed! When the clerk asked her for her/our room number, she then decided that the shuttle would take her to the airport and that the manager would take care of the ferry passengers.

I have never given a hotel a bad review in my life, but this is all fact and I would NEVER recommend this hotel as it is today to anyone, so that says alot. If they had a zero rating instead of 1 dot, there would be at least a couple of them.

I will also add that given our contracted block of rooms for the wedding, most of our family who called, even very early on, had been told that all the rooms were already taken and so they had to stay at the nearby Hampton instead. As a result, I would be very surprised if we even used all of the 10 blocked rooms at the Hilton Garden Inn.

If you come to this hotel, be aware that Friday and Saturday nights attract ALOT of people to the nightclub for dancing, so perhaps these people may be better treated and account for more stays and reviews overall. Also, I learned that many people also stay here for the free access to the ferry and back, as it is a convenient way to get around.

Our son and his bride-to-be came to this hotel to check it out for their wedding and were treated so poorly by the sales woman that they would not allow us to even have the rehearsal dinner there as a result and it would have been more convenient for us to do so.
It is not entirely obvious to me that the Hilton mgmt cares how much business they lose due to the unprofessional and rude people they hire or they would not tolerate this kind of behavior from staff.

FInally, the clerk that went off on us called our room by phone, the day she came back to work and we were checking out, to apologize for her rude and unprofessional behavior, but we will never know it she did this of her own volition. I saw her at the desk for checkout and while other people who had nothing to do with this apologized repeatedly and unnecessarily for days, she could not even look at me and say a word.

In my opinion, as part of a chain of hotels, corporate people as a minimum should see to it that this hotel...
Understands that the front desk is the face of every hotel;
Has a manager on duty to support the front desk at ALL times;
Hires and properly trains the right kind of people--cheaper than anger management training;
Hires and trains sales people to follow up AFTER they have an agreement;
Discloses to the public what is involved in providing and reserving transportation; and
Trains housekeeping to clean everything in a room after each and every guest.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank nyc123456789
I would like to express my unhappiness with the situation that transpired while you were at our property as well as prior to your stay with us. This is not typical practice of our hotel, we try to accomodate everything and anything that a guest requests and prefers. It seems that in this case not only were we not able to provide you with the connecting rooms you had requested upon your arrival, the rooms you were initially put in weren't cleaned thoroughly enough and the sales staff was as well a disappointment to you.
I would like you to know that the situation has been handled internally with the front desk representative that you had an arguement with and we have expressed our displeasure as well as your displeasure with the way that you were treated. I am happy to know that after the initial argument and unhappiness with your room we were able to get you into a connecting room that was requested. Please feel free to contact me in regards to the situation I would be more than happy to help take care of you if you were to be in the area for anything at all ever again. I know that this is a sour hotel experience but I hope we would have the opportunity to rectify the problems that transpired the first time being that the problems that arose are not tolerated at our property.
Raritan, New Jersey
Reviewed July 30, 2010

I wish I could tell you that my room was great but we NEVER got that far. Upon check in we were told that my PRE-PAID reservation would be available because another guest would be extending their stay. Now Im not a world traveler, but I have never been told this. In fact if I were staying at a hotel and wanted to stay longer but the hotel was book they would say I couldnt stay.

I was told by the General Manager that he couldnt kick them out and offered me a refund and to put me up at another hotel.

That hotel was the Comfort Inn about 5 fives away. I reserved a King size bed in a smoking room from the Hilton and had to stay in a two double size bed room with no smoking. I was staying with my Girlfriend for our anniversary so this was not appealing in the least.

Its been a week now and I still havent recieved my refund, calls to the GM have not been returned. When I call the front desk they say they cant help me. When I call the Hilton 800 number and they try to resolve the hotel doesnt respond back to them either.

I have since filed a complaint with the Department of Consumer Affairs.

If you can get a room there it must be nice because people want to extend their stays and they wont be asked to leave ever.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
I am very sorry for the experience that you had and I understand your displeasure with being moved to another property after having a pre-paid reservation at our hotel, that is not something that we prefer to do to our arriving guests. Unfortunately in this case there were some extenuating circumstances that didn't enable us to have your room available that night. We do run a property that is very focused on our guest reviews and thoughts so we would love to be able to change your viewpoint of our hotel if you wanted to come back and stay. We will do everything in our power to make sure that you realize that moving a guest that took the time to book with our property isn't something that we enjoy doing nor want to do. Please feel free to contact me in regards to this situation so we can try to make the situation better although that night doesn't come around for another year we might be able to make another night just as special for you.
Reviewed July 19, 2010

I have ben traveling for 7 years, "road warrior", and it is alwasy a pleasure to find a hotel that stands out. The staff at HGI Staten Island have always treated me like family. They recgonize me by name, remember my preferences at the bar, and greet me with a smile. The end of a long day can be miserable, but when i arrive it is easy to put the day behind me and enjoy the good food and friendly faces.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
New York
Reviewed July 16, 2010

As soon as you walk in, you are so warmly greeted by such a professional staff, that you can't help but smile. They are so out going, and friendly that you almost want to say..hey let's go have a drink! They are very professional at what they do and it shows. The service is wonderful. The rooms are comfortable, the atmosphere is cheerful, the bar is friendly...what more could you ask for!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 3, 2010

With the exception of the short haired blonde bartender who was an absolute bee - atch, my stay was fine. I was in town for 1 night prior to the 5 bourough bike ride and simply wanted a quick beer and a sandwich. I hope the hotel management reads this review so appropriate action can be taken.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
#6 of 7 in Staten Island
Hotel Executive Suites
Hotel Executive Suites
#2 of 2 in Carteret

Been to Hilton Garden Inn New York/Staten Island? Share your experiences!