“Reasonable price for a decent hotel”

Hilton Garden Inn New York/Staten Island
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Staten Island
GreenLeadersBronze level
Keansburg, United States
“Reasonable price for a decent hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

The hotel is fine, but nothing glamorous. The banquet hall and food were both very nice for the event we attended. The lobby was nice to look at, but the furniture was dirty and heavily worn and frayed. Needed to be replaced. The rooms/beds were very comfortable and the bathroom accessories were great (Neutrogena products). We had a problem with the air conditioning, but one call to the front desk and an engineer fixed it right away. The breakfast was TERRIBLE. Food on the buffet was stone cold, the serving staff (with one exception) were not nice.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Kaylinn H, Guest Service Agent at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Staten Island, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear Michele L,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm glad your stay with us was satisfactory and I appreciate your honesty. We will be entering a stage of renovation over the next year, during which we will be updating our hotel. In regards to your breakfast experience, I want to sincerely apologize. I will be notifying the restuarant manager, who will address this issue according. I do hope we see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Port Jefferson, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

Stayed Friday night had large parties going on around 10p. Six to ten people smoking at front door ..drunks wandering through lobby ..went to bed around 1030 woke up to people yelling in hallway at 1230 this continued till around 330a when someone tried to enter my room and yelled 'sorry wrong room' looking out peep hole saw a wowen urinating in hallway. Stayed on 4th floor room 429. noise settled down around 430. No security or hotel staff visible. Did not feel safe. Would have felt safer and slept better staying in my car.

Room Tip: Keep driving
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Peter R
Dear Peter R,
I sincerely apologize that your stay with us was less than satisfactory. We are very busy property, with our banquet halls being host to several events. If you are interested in coming back to the area, we are affliated with the Hampton Inn and Suites across the parking lot from us, which is a quieter hotel.
Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed at this hotel before and after a cruise. We found it to be clean and very comfortable. I found the furniture in the room, lobby and restaurant to be in good condition. Beds were very comfortable. As far as noise, we heard absolutely none. The night of our arrival was a Saturday and there were two weddings going on that night. Because of my husband being a day sleeper I had requested a quiet room because his sleep schedule would be off. We were given a room on the 4th floor the Saturday before the cruise and on the 6th floor after. On that Sunday there was also a wedding but we heard no noise at all during either stay.

The staff were all friendly and helpful. The breakfast was plentiful and delicious.

The only criticism I would make for this hotel is for the shuttle service. They have one shuttle serving two large hotels. It's an isolated property surrounded by woods. It's fine if you drive there but if not there's nothing within walking distance. You need to reserve a time for the shuttle but we had trouble with that because many of the times were already fully booked. Twice we ended up using a car service because the shuttle wasn't available, and one of those times we shared with another guest in the same predicament. I think they should consider adding a second shuttle. I also think they could add the Staten Island Mall to their destination options.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Keno763,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate all feedback, whether it's good or bad. I'm glad your stay with us was quiet and comfortable. We aim to please our guests on all requests. I am sorry, however, to hear that you had issues with reserving our shuttle. We unfortunately only have the one shuttle that takes our guests to 3 locations and it does get booked fairly quickly. If you're ever in the area again, please feel free to contact me personally and I promise to assist you in any way I can.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

This large hotel retains many original Art Deco fixtures and fittings but offers a completely up-to-date service. Staff are friendly and efficient and the restaurant meals are worthy of 5 stars. I'd have liked the pool to be open all day and the business centre could be better equipped but otherwise - a very relaxing and enjoyable place to stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Kimberly P, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Staten Island, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Dear Curatorial,

Thank you for the review, we do really appreciate all guest feedback on our hotel. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed Lorenzo's, the art around the hotel and our staff's service. As you titled your review we want the hotel to be your home away from home.
We do apologize about the pool not being open more often but it is part of New York State law that a licensed lifeguard is always on duty when the pool is open.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

Our kids and granddaughter stayed in a junior suite. Everything was great. Only thing we noted was that some couches/chairs were a bit threadbare, both in the lobby and room -- something easily fixed.
I would recommend this property highly.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Kimberly P, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Staten Island, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear Staten_Islander,

Thank you for the great rating. We are actually going to be renovating the whole this upcoming year. We hope to have you again at the property.
New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I stayed here after my best friends wedding. We were able to enjoy above and sleep in the commfy beds. The next morning we had a delicious brunch in a private room with out own chef making yummy omelets. I would recomend this hotel to someone on Staten Island. I am actually going to have my best friend's bachlorette party her in November. We are going to eat in the Italin restaurant that is located in the hotel and then go to above. How convenient.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Desiree R
Kimberly P, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Staten Island, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Desiree R,

Thank you for the wonderful review! We are so glad to hear that you were able to enjoy everything the hotel has to offer to our guest from the rooms, to Lorenzo's, to Above. We always love to have you back really soon. Look foward to seeing you then.
New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

Location, location, location! Geographically convenient, pleasant lodgings, but woe to the visitor who gets stuck in a room directly above a noisy ballroom! Such was our fate when in town for a family event. The music from the ballroom pounded through our walls till after midnight. Then we were subject to the drunken rants of guests who yelled and cursed in their rooms next to us above us, and in the hallways till 2:30 AM. I could not fall asleep until 7 AM, and then for only 90 minutes. I would assume weeknights are quieter, but I'd never risk staying there on a weekend again... not if I planned to get any sleep. The only up side was that the second time I complained to front desk staff, they upheld their satisfaction guarantee. Still, I would rather have had a good night's sleep the night before my grandson's Christening than a refund on my room rate.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

1 Thank lindacmat
Dear Lindacmat,

I want to apology to hear that your stay experience and noise was unsatisfactory. Unfortunately our weekend at the hotel could get a bit noisy because of all the events going on throughout the hotel and our weekdays are much quieter. If you ever decide to stay with us again please let me know and I will make sure that your next stay is more satisfactory.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Staten Island
#6 of 7 in Staten Island
Hotel Executive Suites
Hotel Executive Suites
#2 of 2 in Carteret

Been to Hilton Garden Inn New York/Staten Island? Share your experiences!