“Loved this hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, California
“Loved this hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

I loved this hotel, but the front desk staff needs some customer-relations training. I was so frustrated with one of the staff telling us they would do something, only to come back from a 12 hour work day to find the night staff knew nothing about our talk earlier in the day. This happened 3 days in a row, until someone finally got the issue worked out. The hotel property is lovely, the restaurant and the bar area are very nice. The made-to-order omlets in the morning were a terrific treat. I would recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Suffolk, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

I have stayed here two years in a row for travel associated with work. This hotel is superior to similarly priced hotels and the staff is warm and accommodating. They remembered me from last year!! In a good way. The rooms are clean, spacious and comfortable. The restaurant, Lorenzo's, has excellent food with great service. I will definitely be back as you have set the bar high with quality. Love, Love, Love this place!

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the elevator
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Oakland, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

This isn't your standard HGI. The hotel has an excellent restaurant and a very attractive bar, more in common with a very sophisticated property. It has also added a new wing, with great rooms and very hip night club on the top floor that has views of Manhattan. Not that you'd want to be outside during the winter, but for the summer the club has outside seating that should be real fun. There's also ball rooms for big occasions. The hotel has a decent business center, minimalist but good work out room, and a pool with a hot tub.
Service was outstanding. The front desk responded immediately to my request for a room change (wanted one not directly facing freeway, a little of a view) and check-in was easy and pleasant. Nice breakfast offered with cooked to order food or a buffet.
The rooms are in good shape and large. Mine had a good desk with internet connection, a nice sized television and wonderful bed (what makes Hilton properties stand out). Coffee maker included which made waking up a bit easier.
The property is about 15 minutes from Newark Airport and is much nicer than the airport properties, which are a bit run down. It is in a really well-kept office park that has an organic coffee house (owned by the hotel owner) whose profits are donated to charity. Now that is different.

Room Tip: Ask for upper floor room. 6th floor was very quiet, mid-hall.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

My Daughter got married in July of this year and had her reception at Nicotra's Ballroom at the Hilton Garden Inn, Staten Island, NY. We chose this hotel because we are native islanders and our families mostly live in this community. Well...this event exceeded our expectations on many levels. The bridal suite that was included with the wedding was lovely with touches for the bride and groom that were simply great (piece of wedding cake brought up to room after event) etc.
The cocktail hour was exceptional, our guests were overwhelmed by the quality of food and the many hot and cold choices, all taking place in the Trevi Garden Room, which is a tented room with an outside feeling. The food and service at the wedding itself was everything we expected and more! The fish was fresh, steaks were succulent and our guests talked about how wonderful this was for weeks. In addition, the bride and groom had a ball.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

My husband and I and our 4 mth old baby were staying at the hotel for a family wedding and we had travelled from Ireland especially for the occasion. Our first impressions of the hotel were quite good however it turned out to be the vacation of all nightmares!!!
After the second night staying in the hotel my husband and I felt a little itchy. I checked the bed that my baby was sitting on and I could see a number of insects all over our bed. I was horrified and I rang reception to tell them. The person on the desk did not seem one bit surprised at this information and they said someone would be up straight away to spray the room. I told them this was not acceptable as I had a small baby in the room and they agreed to move us. A member of housekeeping was out in the corridor and I asked her to come in and have a look. She was horrifed at what she saw and this made me even more worried for my baby. What if she had been bitten by these insects? After the inconvenience of moving all our luggage to another room for the remainder of our stay I requested a discount for our stay when checking out, the hotel did oblige. However. THIS WAS ONLY THE START OF THE NIGHTMARE!!!! Once we were back at home my husband came out in bites all over his body. Four other members of his family who stayed in the hotel also had the same problem. They all went to their local doctors who told them the bites were from bed bugs!!! I notified the hotel of this and their response has been totally unsatisfactory. They got the rooms checked after a considerable amount of time had passed and they said they found nothing in the rooms. I SAW insects with my own eyes and I was even told by the hotel YES WE DO HAVE ANTS as a result of our extension being built!!! All those affected had to get treatment for their bites, clothes, bed liner etc.. had to be changed also. This hotel has taken no reponsibility for what happened and the entire wedding party would not recommend this hotel to anyone! To stay in the Hilton, a 4* hotel and to move rooms because of insects is crazy and to face what we did when home as a result of our stay was awful. We will never forget that week and unfortunately it is for all the wrong reasons!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank jennyosul
Tracy C, Guest Service Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Staten Island, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear jennyosul,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Tripadvisor. On behalf of our hotel, I have to state that our hotel is 100% pest free.

It was unfortunate to see that your stay were not satisfactory and I sincerely apologize for all inconveniences you had during your stay.

Your family with 4 rooms had checked out on the 3rd of September and we received your email claiming some of your family members were bite by 'bedbugs' on the 18th of September. Between the 15 days gap, we already had guests checked in and out of those rooms and none of them reported any issues with us.

Nevertheless, as to ensure all of our rooms are in best condition, we had Ecolab, the professional pest control company to inspect the rooms right after the guests checked out (2 of the rooms). We recevied their report on the 21st of September and they had found no insects in those rooms and we had forwarded the report to you.

The guests who stayed in the other 2 rooms were inspected right after they checked out, the lab professional didn't find anything neither and the report was forwarded to you as well on the 2nd of October.

We hope you understand that people can get bedbugs from anywhere (even a couch) and it is contagious between human beings. There could be thousands of opportunities that people can get infected in those more than 2 weeks time after they checked out of the hotel. Also if the rooms did in fact have bedbugs/scabies, it would have still been infested.

In conclusion, between the time you checked out and your claim, we had guests checked in and out of the rooms and they all had a satisfactory stay with us. We also have geniune reports from Ecolab professionals constantly to ensure that all of our rooms are in best condition and 100% pest free.

We do appreciate your understanding and again, we feel sorry about all the unfortunate that happened to your family. If there's anything we can be of service in the future, please let us know.

Travel safe.

Warmest regards,
Tracy Chan
Guest Service Manager
Greensboro, NC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

I had planned this vacation to NYC for a year. Told my kids we were going to see the Macy's parade in NYC. They have so excited and thrilled about it for months. Naturally, when Hurricane Sandy hit, I was worried that our plans would be worried. I understood it could be. However, to be sure, I checked and was assured my reservation was still good. Got another confirmation number just to be sure. I had come to tripadvisor and noticed people had stayed at the hotel since the Hurricane. Then today, I find out my reservation was cancelled since people are still housing displaced families. That would have been good to let me know a week or 2 weeks ago, not 2 nights before I am supposed to arrive on the night before thanksgiving when there's not a decent hotel to find in the city.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank travelinMan314159265
Tracy C, Guest Service Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Staten Island, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear travelinMan314159265,

I would like to take this time to sincerely apologize for the late cancellation. We take all complaints very seriously and want to rectify them to your satisfaction. Most Staten Island residents who were displaced in the hurricane and received FEMA assistance were just being informed that their lodging assistance had been extended few days ago, it is the reason of the short notice of the cancellation. We do sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and disappointment caused to you and your family.

Your experience is not a common practice here and we would like to make it up to you if given the chance on your future visit. Please contact me personally by phone 718 477 2400 or email: tracy@nicotraonline.com and I would like to discuss your potential future reservation and make sure it would exceed your expectation.

Again, we do apologize for the inconvenience and we are looking forward to seeing you in the future!

Travel safe and have a wonderful Thanksgiving day!

Warmest regards,
Tracy Chan
Guest Service Manager
Highland Hts., Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

I had a relaxing, happy experience at the Hilton Garden Inn in Staten Island. The staff was friendly and helpful. They went out of their way to help with any request. For instance, I felt as though I were coming down with a cold one evening. The hotel store did not have orange juice, so Kevin got me two large cups from the bar to be of help. When the USA Todays were gone, Anthony gave me a copy of the New York Times. The housekeeper on the fifth floor (I wish I could remember her name) was very nice; I enjoyed talking with her, and she went out of her way to bring whatever I needed for the room. The room was large, and the chair and bed were very comfortable. The hotel restaurant's complimentary starter that I had, Eggplant Parmesan, was the best I've ever eaten. This hotel is part of a complex that is surrounded by trees. I liked the privacy of the location. Also, driving along Richmond Terrace made for an easy, short ride to the Staten Island Ferry.

Room Tip: I asked for a quieter part of the hotel. I was given a room on the fifth floor, and I would choose...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
#6 of 7 in Staten Island
Hotel Executive Suites
Hotel Executive Suites
#2 of 2 in Carteret

Been to Hilton Garden Inn New York/Staten Island? Share your experiences!