“Always Welcome” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Boynton Beach, Florida
“Always Welcome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

We have been staying here for years, we come to staten island at least 7 times a year to visit our children and grandchildren and never think of staying any where else. Our grandchildren also enjoy staying here, the property is lovely and growing. They are adding another 60 deluxe rooms plus a restaurant as well as additional banquet spaces. I can't wait to see the new addition, it should be ready in October.. The staff is growing and make you feel as though you have known them for years (great corporate training from the top down)
It's a great place for a "Staycation" they have a Spa, Pool, Fitness Center as well as a Bar and Restaurant. no need to travel far to relax. my next visit in September will be at the spa...

Room Tip: we have had rooms all over the hotel, try the higher floors. they are quiter when there are events...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bestbites26
Tracy C, Guest Services Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Staten Island, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Dear bestbites26,

Greetings from the Hilton Garden Inn Staten Island/New York!

Thank you for your continue support and the great review of our property. We’re happy that we were able to meet up to you your expectations again. Please feel free to contact me before your next stay and I would like to set up a spa appointment for you in September.

Have a wonderful day and we look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

My business partner and I were so put off by Manhattan hotel experiences that we decided to see what it would be like to stay on Staten Island for a change so we booked into the Hilton Garden Inn and I'm glad we did, not so much for the hotel, which was average but for the really offbeat ambiance of Staten Island. We loved doing the Staten Island Ferry commute although the hotel was far from the Ferry and we had to take a taxi or shuttle. The rooms were just fine - very middle American. The food in the restaurant really wasn't. But the front office staff were very pleasant and helpful. There were Italian weddings almost every night we were there. It's a big local wedding venue. And we sort of felt that we were living an episode from the Sopranos (without the crime and violence. While the hotel isn't great, it is just fine for a layover and staying in Staten Island is a trip. Not sure we'd do it again but I'm glad we did this time around.

Room Tip: You'll save a lot of money if you can arrange your transfers to and from the Ferry through the s...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Michael S
Tracy C, Guest Services Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Staten Island, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Dear Michael S.,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor. This is a way of us finding out what we can do to help your future stay with us more enjoyable. Although it's not perfect to your expectation, I feel that your stay could have been improved upon.

We just added 50 more brand new rooms, we would very much look forward to another opportunity to provide you with the level of service you have every right to expect from Hilton Garden Inn. Please contact me directly if you are planning to stay with us again and I will make sure we will exceed your expectation next time.

Staten Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

My boyfriend and I had an amazing romantic evening with champagne and room service.The place is gorgeous reasonably priced and the workers are very courteous and kind. We had a jr suite with a jacuzzi bath and it was very relaxing.

Room Tip: Jr Suite with Jacuzzi Bath Amazing
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Danielle B
Tracy C, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Staten Island, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Dear Danielle B,

Greetings from the Hilton Garden Inn Staten Island/New York!

Thank you for the great review of our property. We’re happy that we were able to meet up to you your expectations. Please feel free to contact me before your next stay and I would like to make sure your next stay would be perfect as well. Have a great day and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Petersburg, VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Since my husband is from Staten Island, I know how incredibly cramped it is. When we arrived at this property May 18, 2012, I was surprised that we were even in Staten Island! The area is located in a park and it's very green and spacious feeling. The woman at check in was very friendly and let us check in early. There's a lot of parking, but it is extremely crowded. We had a king room and a queen/queen room. They were clean, but as others have said, the decor looked a little dated, which is surprising because I'm pretty sure this hotel is fairly new. The room also had a coffee pot and refrigerator. We did not use the bar/restaurant, pool or fitness room.

We were disappointed when we returned to the hotel later on in the evening. As someone said before, the bar seems to be quite popular. The parking lot was packed and the valet guy seemed to be using the handicapped parking for his needs because there were 3-4 cars in those spaces with no placards or designated license plates. When I mentioned this to the front desk, I just got an "I'm sorry". Since one of our rooms overlooked the parking lot, I could also see that no one did anything about it. I guess I should have called the tow truck myself.

Since there are only a handful of hotels in Staten Island, this hotel never has availability when we've looked in the past. I think next time we will avoid it and try our luck with the Hampton.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor to avoid evening activity noise.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 808Mom
Tracy C, Guest Services Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Staten Island, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Dear 808Mom,

I would like to take this opportunity thank you for taking the time to write your review on Tripadvisor.

It was unfortunate to see that your stay was not satisfactory and I sincerely apologize for the unavailability of parking. We have relayed this matter to the corresponding department. We understand that you have a choice while traveling, and thank you for making the Hilton Family of Hotels, and our Hilton Garden Inn, your choice on this past visit.

We would very much look forward to another opportunity to provide you with the level of service you have every right to expect from Hilton Garden Inn. Please contact me directly if you are planning to stay with us again and I will make sure we will exceed your expectation next time.

Baltimore, Maryland, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

My family and I recently took a trip to NYC and stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn, Staten Island and were truly disappointed. My wife travels for her job, I travel for mine, and we travel as a family. By far, this was truly the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. We stayed at a hotel in East New Brunswick the night before check in, and it was everything we expected and more. The Hilton Garden Inn, Staten Island was a real disappointment.

I recently returned from my 10th deployment to the Middle East and my wife had booked a surprise weekend trip for my family and I. My wife booked, months in advance the Hilton Garden Inn Staten Island. Being not only a veteran, but a wounded warrior veteran, my wife called to see if they had a room available for early check in. They did not, nor did the front desk offer a room for our luggage to be secured and stored. We had to keep our bags in our car while we toured NYC and paid our respects to Ground Zero (9/11 Memorial). Upon our arrival, we checked in and I unloaded our bags onto the luggage cart and proceeded to our room on the 4th floor with our 8 year old son. Upon entry into the room, I was truly shocked, disgusted, more so disappointed. We walked into a room in which the room was not cleaned. It had appeared and looked like both beds were just slepted in. In all honesty, it looked like people had just fornicated in both beds and the bathroom. There were cigarette ashes in one bed, used condoms and condom wrappers in and on the trash can, and used towels all over the bathroom. I had cleaner accommodations and that was just a sleeping bag in Iraq.
I called the front desk from the hotel room and at first the hotel clerk and on duty manager did not believe me until I stated I had taken photographs (which I did). I even explained that this was a huge and total disappointment especially for someone who just got back from a Middle Eastern deployment with the USAF. They moved us to another room immediately. I had to ask for some sort of discount, because they did not even offer that. They gave our next room to us complimentary for 1 night, and reduced the price the next 2 nights.
In my line of work (Civilian Federal Investigator for the Dept. of Defense & a USAF Military Police Officer), I have to maintain a dedicated work out regiment. I awoke at 0445 every morning to go utilize the workout room. Yes, there is a sign in the workout room, that the hotel is not liable for any injuries from working out. However, the upright stationary bike looked like and when riding it I could definitely tell it has never or not been serviced at all. With that being said, if I injured myself using the stationary upright bike, it would have been due to lack of care by the hotel. While using the bike it sounded like I was grinding glass the entire time. It got so bad, that I left and went jogging outside around the parking lot of the Hilton Garden Inn and the Hampton Inn next door.
We selected this hotel because of the pool as well. We have an 8 year old who enjoys swimming. Unfortunately, on Thursdays the pool is closed (for no reason what so ever and we were not given an explanation). The front desk told us, if we wanted to go swimming, we could use the Hampton Inn. Next time, I'll just stay there!
Speaking with other guests, they all stated and I agreed, they have not invested much into the hotel. It looks like it's straight out of 1980s. Seriously, I saw approximately 6 working pay phones, I did not they still existed. It seems the hotel and management is more interested in providing a party scene, providing a service for weddings, providing multiple events for singles to meet, greet, and do whatever. We even came to learn they are building an additional party floor on to the hotel. Other guests saw and stated the same thing.
My families sleeping arrangements were also a huge disappointment. I really wish my wife had known this before booking because I expect a hotel to accommodate 'rest' at minimum. The loud pulsating party music that seemed to never let up, seriously it was maddening, and on a Thursday night! My wife could not sleep and I was still adjusting to the time difference from my deployment. I knew calling the front desk would have been a waste of time at 1 A.M in the morning. Not only did I get to hear loud pulsating music on Thurs, but Friday and Saturday as well as a bonus. In my honest opinion, I would not stay here. This is NOT a family or business hotel and the most disappointing Hilton property I have ever stayed in! I'll never stay here again!!! NEVER!!!

Room Tip: I'm honestly afraid to make any suggestions considering the 2 rooms we had. I'm afraid one...
2 Thank Greg H
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night on our way to Europe and ate at the restaurant. The rooms were large but somewhat dated. The beds comfortable but the housekeeping staff started knocking at the doors very early in the morning while yelling: "Housekeeping!" Not a good way to start the day. The hotel was otherwise fairly quiet. The restaurant food was over-priced for the quality of food served. The staff, however, was excellent at check-in and check-out as well as in the restaurant. The hotel shuttle to the airport was complimentary. We felt that this hotel was a bit far off from everything.

North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2012

This was our first stay at a HGI. I would put in same category as the Hampton Inn. My family stayed here during our first visit to Manhattan NY. We wanted to stay away from the hustle and crowd of NY so we selected Staten Island. This property served the purpose of the location we wanted. Our room was a suite which was large. When we first arrived, our bathroom had an odor so I called the front desk and ask to switch rooms but they were fully booked and could not switch us. Maintance was sent up, bathrom was recleaned but some odor remained. Mgmt gave us breakfast vouchers for both days of our stay because of the inconvenience so I was satisfied in the end. Pool did not open until 5:00 because lifeguard needed to be on duty. Apparently this is a NY law. Pool was small but my kids were the only one in the pool so it was okay. Staff was friendly. Rode the shuttle to the ferry but took taxi back because we would have had to wait for the hotel shuttle and it was iffy as to the time. The HGI is in the process of making resort like improvements. Right now, I would rate it the same as a Hampton Inn right beside it.

Room Tip: If more space is important, select a suite.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Staten Island
Ramada Staten Island
Ramada Staten Island
#6 of 7 in Staten Island
Embassy Suites by Hilton Newark Airport

Been to Hilton Garden Inn New York/Staten Island? Share your experiences!