“Good value if you need a place to sleep...breakfast was fantastic!”

Holiday Inn Express - Staten Island West
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Staten Island
New Haven, Connecticut
“Good value if you need a place to sleep...breakfast was fantastic!”
Reviewed May 4, 2011

We stayed here for a night. 2 adults and 3 young children. We were in town for a funeral so we just need a place to sleep. Overall, small and quaint. Rooms were clean and comfortable. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Breakfast the next morning was the highlight of this hotel. They had the nicest, friendliest most energetic guy cooking up breakfast and greeting people as they came in. For 100$ we ate probably 30$ in food between the 5 of us!

Overall, good place to sleep...not a great place if you're on a romantic getaway...but then again, you wouldn't be going to Staten Island for romance...

Room Tip: Don't stay near the stairs b.c.of noise
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed February 11, 2011

I always stay at this hotel when I go to Staten Island for work. The staff is nice, fun, and very helpful. The rooms are clean and tidy too. Compared to other hotels I stay at, the breakfast has a great assortment to start off the day. Also, the general manager, Angela, went out of her way to help me ship a package and I am very grateful for her! I recommended to my co-workers to stay at this hotel when they travel to Staten Island and its vicinity.

Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 7, 2011

Stayed at this hotel for 8 days in late Dec 2010 and was very disappointed. For a new hotel there was so many things wrong it is too much to list. The most important item to list though is that the hotel linens and towels were disgustingly filthy. Every day the "new clean sheets and towels" were dirtier than the day before. Housekeeping is a joke. The small day to day essentials are lacking in this hotel. The front desk has only two women who were on the ball and understood abt Customer Service as well as the older wonderful gentleman who works the breakfast cafe. The rest of the employees especially the housekeeping people need lots of help. I understand the laundry service is brought in from the outside so the QA control is hard to control from that end, but when the housekeepers continue to use the linens that are dirty with black marks and long human hair on them -GROSS and still put them on the bed or dirty towels in the bathroom that is an hotel internal problem that needs immediate attention. The GM was told about my disgust with the filth in the room and on the linens and it helped for abt 2 days and then we were back to a dusty room, dirty bathroom and filthy linens. I could go on and on abt my disapproval but the morale of the story - our stay at this hotel was unpleasant and very very disappointing. As stated earlier there a few good workers the rest need lots of coaching. Not a good experience and very very disappointing for a brand new hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank likestotravel29
North Carolina
Reviewed January 1, 2011

We stayed at this hotel on Staten Island for New Years week. It's a new hotel and has some remaining construction issues. Housekeeping is overworked and understaffed - and we experienced the effects of that firsthand.

On arrival, check-in was fast and efficient. Just provided a credit card for swipe, got room keys and went straight to the room.

Once in the room, I wasn't surprised by how small they were since I had read other reviews. If you're used to all-suite hotels or oversized rooms, you're in for a shoebox. The entire hotel room, including the bathroom would fit into my master bedroom with space left over.

There are some problems with the room, beginning with the linens. The bed linens were soiled (pictures posted in the photos for this hotel) with some kind of make-up and what appeared to be a booger on one of the pillow cases. In the bathroom were were missing wash cloths and hand towels. Only 2 regular towels and the bath mat were present.

In the bathroom the lack of attention to detail from an overworked housekeeping staff was found around the toilet... underneath/behind the toilet was soiled, hairs, etc. And there was a weird, musty/sour smell in the bathroom (which I would later surmise is whatever cleaning product they're using).

I reported these issues and requested the front desk send up a full set of linens for this room. I stripped the bed entirely (checking for *other* issues, ahem) and placed the soiled linens at the door entry w/ the soiled parts clearly showing so no one would think they were clean. An hour later the replacements had not arrived and we left for dinner/night out in NY (~7pm).

When we got back from the night out (~1:30am), I found a full set of towels, washclothes, and hand towels randomly stacked on the chest of drawers/TV. And a set of sheets crammed behind the TV. The soiled linens had been taken away. I was fine making up the bed myself but it rubbed me wrong that the sheets and such weren't at least laid in some kind of orderly fashion on the bed or somewhere. I went to make the bed and found that I was *short* a sheet! Meaning, I couldn't actually make up the bed.

I went to the front desk to ask for another sheet so I could actually make the bed up and the lady on the overnight shift was appalled that I was even having to make up the bed. She asked if she could move us to another room. I agreed that would be fine. So we went from a 2nd floor room to a 1st floor room. No one helped us move our stuff. I had to do it all myself.

Thankfully the linens and such in the new room on the 1st floor were present and clean, even if they were wrinkled like crazy.

The new room was not without problems though. It was even smaller than the room up on the 2nd floor. It also lacked a bench on which to sit luggage. The power outlet on the left side of the bed was completely dead. So the lamp and such on that side couldn't be used. On the right side, there was a power strip plugged in for the lamp, clock radio, chair lamp, etc. The carpet border behind the chair on that side had fallen off the wall. I reported the dead outlet to the front desk and the overnight lady wrote up a maintenance request. It was never fixed in the 3 days we were there.

This may be a new hotel but their WiFi acts like it's 10 years old. Signal strength is fine but the network is woefully underpowered from a bandwidth standpoint. Based on my digging, it appears they have single T1 (1.5mbps) for the entire hotel. Once guests arrive for the night, the network is basically unusable. Multiple heavy users were sucking up all the bandwidth every day we were there.

I called Active Networks, the tech support for the hotel, every day, sometimes twice a day. Each time, they were nice and knew exactly which property I was complaining about and what was going on. Twice, the answering tech had just gotten off the phone w/ someone else staying in this very hotel, complaining about the very same issues. Each time they had to try to log into the network remotely place limits on the heavy users manually and reboot the network.

With the limits in place, each user on the network, including me, was limited to 256x256kbps but even with those low limits the bandwidth was still completely overloaded. I notified their bandwidth supplier - Broadview Networks - of the issue so someone there can hopefully convince whatever tightwad only put 1.5mbps T1 in his entire hotel that it's not an acceptable about of bandwidth for the number of guests on the network.

Also, Active Networks told me that this hotel had specifically requested *NO* filtering for protocols or content types - which is probably why the bandwidth sucked so bad. Bittorrent, file sharing, etc. were not being blocked or limited, so just one idiot with a bittorrent client and no respect for fellow network users could suck the network dry.

A word on Holiday Inn Express' sheets and bed linens... They're trying to be more upmarket with nicer sheets but this hotel's laundry provider is ruining them. The sheets were already starting to pill and were wrinkled like crazy. If the sheets are pilling after 6 months, I can't imagine what they will be like long term. Also, the comforter is WAY too short. On the king sized bed, when I laid in the bed, if I wanted it to stay tucked into the foot of the bed, I couldn't pull it up past my chest. If you like to sleep with the covers over your head, you'll have to untuck the duvet sheets/comforter! The mattress is is very pedestrian. Just a standard innerspring mattress. No topper, no pillow top, no cushy. Just a zippered mattress encasement cover. The pillows are already showing signs of deterioration and getting lumpy.

Breakfast was pretty much what I expected. Frozen egg patties, sausage patties, cinnamon rolls, assorted generic breads/bagels, yogurt, cranberry and orange juice, and coffee/tea assortment. It's the standard HI Express corporate assortment. No biscuits, no bacon, no omelets, no cereals, and very little milk/cream. Don't expect any deviation or upgrades. The one strange thing is the area for breakfast is in the basement of the hotel along with the fitness center and business center. It's not on the first floor where the front desk is located.

Pros:
- New building.
- Reasonably convenient location (if a bit tough to find at first).
- Most of the staff appear to genuinely care.
- Decent pricing.
- Iron and ironing board in room.
- Hair dryer in bathroom.
- Breakfast is decent and free.

Cons:
- Even clean sheets are wrinkled like crazy and don't "feel" clean.
- Shoebox sized rooms.
- Housekeeping is understaffed and overworked, leading to poor attention to detail
- Construction issues remain in some rooms (non-working outlets, falling off carpet borders, shoddy/sloppy construction, etc.)
- Bathroom cleaning product in use by hotel leaves residue on shower walls that smells like a soured washcloth/towel and is slightly sticky.
- No closet. Only a small, freestanding wardrobe (~30" wide).
- WiFi bandwidth sucks, major.

What you should know:
- There are 3 hotels side-by-side, I presume being built by the same franchise owner. A Comfort Inn, this Holiday Inn Express and a yet unnamed/unmarqueed still under construction hotel. They share parking, entrance, and I presume laundry company.
- The hotel uses outside laundry company/facilities. So if the "truck" is late, housekeeping is late and you may be missing towels, sheets, etc.
- The bathroom will smell "un-clean" to most people upon arrival due to what I assume are "green" cleansers in use by housekeeping. Whatever they're using must be vinegar based because it leaves a soured cloth odor and a bit of tackiness on the shower walls.
- The street in front of the hotels (next to the interstate) is One-Way. The best way to enter is through the parking lot of Wendys/Bowling Alley/Planet Fitness.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank Daniel P
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 26, 2010

Hoilday Inn Express commercials suggest that thy're the hotel for smarter people. This one is for smaller people... The room is quite small. If I were in Manhattan, it would be expected. In Staten Island, especially when compared to the Hilton Garden Inn, it's regrettable. And the sleep expereince wasn't that good either.

First, the pluses:
* NIce new flat screen TV with a decent range of channels. However, they don't get ALL teh locals (no ch 9 or 11), they don't get any of the local sports networks.
* good water pressure in the shower, and plenty of hot water
OK, we're done.

The minuses:
* Room is small. Very small. The "closet" is a free standing wardrobe that is maybe 18 inches. The "work desk" is maybe 30 inches wide and 18 deep - and half covered with the coffee maker and tray, light and phone. If you need to work, you'll be spreading papers on you bed.
* The bed is hard, the pillows were not that comfortable, too bulky. These are personal taste issues, so that may work for you.
* The room was warm, even with the heat off. We opened the window, but were woken up by the garbage truck loading up at 12:45 AM.
* NOISE - the doors are heavy enough to make a lot of noise when anyone else on the floor lets one close - but not heavy enough to keep out the sound of those doors slamming, nor any conversation, even normal talking. We heard everything.
* The elevator is small and slow. No big deal for us, we walked up the stairs (which, like the room, the hotel, the lobby and everythign else, were at about 50% scale - wide enough for one person to go up and down.
*BReakfast - might have been good. We won't know - all the hot food was gone when we got there at 9AM (it closes at 10). We were told some would be out 5 minutes later. It was not.. The bagels were OK - but this is New York City - they should be. The regular coffee was also out. The decaf tasted OK. The breakfast room was - take a guess - too small, and all 6 or so tables were full.

In all, we paid a smallish price for a smallish room with smallish amenities. Will we stay here again? Only if we needed to be ON the Island. Otherwise, there are better places in Jersey just across the bridge. Note that this hotel shares a parking lot with a Comfort Inn plus a third hotel to-be-completed. parkign will become a problem soon. And the hotels seem to share the same architect - I would bet that the other two hotels will be just as tiny.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tywwia
Houston
Reviewed November 17, 2010

I travel across the country for work. This was a first for me.

After paying $140 a night for what is basically a "Microtel room", I was also required to give my credit card to use the hotels business center for a few minutes. I would expect this at a $40/night hotel, but not at these prices in a place that advertises itself to business travelers.

WiFi went out for 12 hours. Breakfast was a let-down too. Pretty much tastless food compared to other HIE locations. Hotel is totally isolated in a run-down residential area of the city. Not the best place to stay unless you have no choice.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank wrs437
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed October 20, 2010

The room was very clean. It was very small. I can't believe we had 2 queen beds in there. There was hardly room to put anything. The rooms do not come with refrigerators or microwaves. They have to be ordered at the front desk. There is no charge, but they are on a first come first serve basis, so you probably won't get a fridge. You'll probably get a microwave. The slowest elevator ever. If you miss it, it's gonna be a while.

Breakfast was average. Eggs served like a strange cheese omelet that was thick with egg, but not with cheese. Biscuits are good when they're fresh, sausage patties. It's really best when you make a bacon, egg, & cheese biscuit sandwich. They also have the normal cold staples; cereals, yogurts, and fruit.

It's relatively tucked away, and right off the major thoroughfare. There were a couple neighborhood kids (10-13 year olds) that looked like they were up to no good walking around the parking lot until the security guy (if you could call him that) chased them away. This could be a problem in the future, but keep an eye on your surroundings.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Ramada Staten Island
Ramada Staten Island
#5 of 7 in Staten Island
Holiday Inn Carteret - Rahway

Been to Holiday Inn Express - Staten Island West? Share your experiences!