“Noisy, small rooms.”

Comfort Inn Staten Island
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Staten Island
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I had to stay 3 nights here with my 5 year old. We were visiting a sick relative and didn't have a choice on when we visited, and we had to share a king bed as that was the only room available and most other hotels were booked. I did ask about a double bed room at check in and was cut off and told they were booked full.

Ok, that's fine, a king is what I reserved. But what I found surprising was, there was some sort of men's group - I would say sports team or something like that, occupying 5 or 6 rooms on our floor. At the end of the hall, there are 4 rooms all grouped together. In our case, this was our room, and this men's group occupied the other 3 rooms. The stairwell was also at this end of the hall.
Well, every morning, these guys all got up at 4:30am, and used that stairwell to go in and out several times. The door slammed, they talked loudly, and the walls were so thin, they might as well have been in the room with us. My 5 year old woke up at least an hour earlier than normal every morning we were there.

I've never managed a hotel, but I would think you would not chose to put a woman and a small child in the middle of the same block of rooms these men had reserved. But what do I know?

Beyond that, the room we were in was tiny. There was enough space for one person to walk around the bed and that was it. There was no closet, only a very narrow wardrobe (maybe 15 inches wide) in one corner next to the bed. No suitcase stand - there was no room for one to even fit in the room. This is a typical New York City size hotel, but this wasn't Manhattan and I expected more.

It backs an old Staten Island landfill - don't worry, it's not piles of trash. Grass has grown in over the top of it.

Breakfast was fine - eggs, cereal, waffles, fruit, yogurt etc

The shuttle no longer runs to the Staten Island ferry, so if you're thinking about staying here and going into the city, you'll have to take the city bus to the ferry.

The neighborhood was typical Staten Island, but I wouldn't have walked around after dark.

Honestly, unless you have to stay on Staten Island, stay elsewhere in general, but I wouldn't recommend this hotel either if you do stay on Staten Island.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Samuel E, Manager at Comfort Inn Staten Island, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

I thank you for taking time out of your busy day to write about your experiences here at the hotel. I am sorry your experiences were anything less then exceptional at our hotel. With regards to your placement of your hotel I would agree that you would want to be as comfortable as possible. I am sorry that you had to be next to a rambunctious group. I know that your experience is your experience and I cannot change it but only let you know that since then the hotel is in better standing all around with more care placed to guest experiences. Also the Shuttle is actually ACTIVE and runs 5 days a week Wednesday thru Sunday from 8am - 10pm. If you like to come back for a second look I am sure you will be more then pleasantly surprised. Please let me know if you would like to take me up on my offer. I hope you had a safe and happy holiday weekend.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

We were looking for a cheap hotel to crash in before an early flight out of JFK. The price was much higher than usually charged by this chain but to be expected in the greater NYC area. The room was actually very nice, though very small. The breakfast buffet was wonderful.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

It was great to read your message and to know that your experience was a positive one. It is unfortunate that I didn't get to meet you myself I wasn't in the hotel at the time. I do hope now that you found us that we will get a chance to take care of your hotel needs in the future. I hope you had a great holiday weekend.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

First impression of the hotel is poor location. There is an abandoned hotel in front of the HI Express and this hotel. Parking gets full at night. I wouldn't feel comfortable walking in that area at night.

Second impression doors of the room were kicked in and then jimmied back together.

Third...really really small room and even smaller closet.

Maybe my opinion would be different than when I stayed there. There were flood survivors and flood restoration happening at the hotel. People were smoking pot at all hours in the stairwells. Loud obnoxious argements every night and every morning. I'm actually surprised my vehicle wasn't broken into during my stay.

The staff was accomodating but I could tell the ambience was getting to them as well.

Room Tip: Not a lot of places to eat walking distance. No laundry facility.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank RonR148
CI G M, General Manager at Comfort Inn Staten Island, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Hello Ron, Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience, it is greatly appreciated.
My sincere apology that we did not meet your expectation, but as you mentioned and you are absolutely right it is not our fault. The first building that you see is not abandoned; it is brand new building under construction for upcoming new full service hotel with food and beverage. Our location is safe and very convenient.

Due to the hurricane a lot of people were affected and we are helping the community and the state to accommodate them. Unfortunately some of them are not at their best behavior, but it is beyond our control, and we are trying our best to control the situation to the best of our ability. Some agencies found alternative lodging for the people you are talking about and no longer staying with us.

We are finished with storm related renovation, and we reopened our new meeting room, exercise room, and business center. We continue to offer free Wi-Fi, parking and serving delicious breakfast.

Thank you.
General Manger

Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

I felt like I was staying in a parking lot next to a heavily bombed DMZ. Good location for a quick overnight but a horrible location, I think, for anything else. Front desk was very nice. Room was no bigger than 10x10 and this is not an inner city hotel. Cigarette burns in the bed spread- no buggy but kind of tacky. I came, I stayed, I left and like MacArthor said, "i will NOT return." Keep looking.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Lodicat
CI G M, General Manager at Comfort Inn Staten Island, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, your feedback is essential to us to improve our product and service. My sincere apology that we did not meet your expectation, rest assure we will work on the issues that are in our control to make sure it will not happen in the future. As you are well aware we are conveniently located next to well connected highways to take you anywhere, and we have a shuttle service to NYC ferry, we offer free breakfast and Wi-Fi, we also have meeting room, fitness center and business center. Please contact me to get more information on some of the issues you mentioned, Also please give us the opportunity to better serve you again.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Stay 2 nights, location is not bad, right next to I440 hwy. yet do not pick up the highway noise. Room is small, staffs are helpful. Breakfast is good but only serve between 6-9 am, which is a bit too early for some. Room cleaning didn't do a good job., hairs on the floor, left over coffee in the coffee machine. Only one elevator for 5 floors of residents plus a basement. During our stay, mostly truck drivers and locals from Sandy hurricane . Kind of pricey for the service we are getting.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Climb_and_Dive

Thank you for taking the time to give us your invaluable feedback to help us to improve our product and service. We are glad you enjoyed our free breakfast, and that my staff were helpful. My sincere apology that we did not meet your expectation, rest assure we will work on the issues that are in our control to make sure it will not happen in the future. Please contact me to get more information on some of the issues you mentioned, Also please give us the opportunity to better serve you again.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stayed at this hotel twice in two months and both times we had very pleasant experience. The rooms were very clean and the beds were very comfortable. Above all Cubie at the front desk was very pleasant and always willing to help which made our stay even more pleasant. We will stay at this hotel again if in the area

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
CI G M, General Manager at Comfort Inn Staten Island, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience, we are delighted to hear about it. On behalf of Cubie and my entire team I thank you for your repeated business and looking forward to your next stay.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

During my stay at the Comfort Inn in September I found the experience very pleasant. The rooms were very clean, and the front desk attendent Matt was very helpful and curtious. Overall, I had a very nice stay.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Chrissyymariee

Thank you, we are glad to hear from you, and that we meet your expectation. On behalf of Matt and my entire team I thank you, and looking forward to serve you in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Staten Island
Hampton Inn & Suites Staten Island
Hotel Executive Suites
Hotel Executive Suites
#2 of 2 in Carteret

Been to Comfort Inn Staten Island? Share your experiences!