“Nice staff, very small room”

Comfort Inn Staten Island
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Staten Island
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I spent one night with my husband at Comfort Inn Staten Island about a month ago. The lady at the front desk was very friendly and polite as well as the staff at breakfast. Our room was very small and there was no space to open two big suitcases. The bathroom had a weird smell and other guest’s hair. We saw a couple of people who looked like homeless in the elevator and this was the weirdest thing in my opinion.

Not a great location unless you have a car but the hotel offers a shuttle to Staten Island Ferry Terminal.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Rabia was great during the whole check in process she made it fast and efficient and was there to help with any problems that we had. Although the rooms are small the staff and the environment is very friendly and welcoming

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 18, 2012

From the 14th to the 17th of November 2012, my girlfriend and I had the misfortune of staying at the Comfort Inn Staten Island.

After reading the positive feedback on Trip Advisor, we were looking forward to staying at this property. HOWEVER, upon arriving to our room, we were greeted with a room that was clearly never vacumed or dusted, bedding with hair from previous guests and phones in the room which did not call out. And if that couldn't be enough, a sharp plastic cover on the aircon which stuck out and stabbed my girlfriend, injuring her leg in the process. In addition to the dangerous air con, it also only blasted cool air - this was on when we arrived in the room in the middle of winter.

Upon these findings, we then approached the front desk, the girl on front desk at least let us use the front desk phone to call out for food etc and advised us that there are no other rooms she could move us to and that she would have her manager advised immediately. She never offered to come inspect the room herself.

The next morning we came to the front desk and spoke with Matthew who assured me that housekeeping would come into the room immediately and resolve our issues. We arrived back to the hotel at 7.30pm on Thursday night to see a room that hadn't been cleaned, despite Matthews assurances that it would be. I promptly went straight back to the front desk, the same front desk agent from the previous night at least arranged for someone to come and clean the room immediately. In the meantime we had to wait outside our room for at least 25 minutes. I queried with the woman at front desk about compensation for our inconvenience we had suffered, she advised will talk with manager and he will contact us back. On the Friday morning I came down and spoke with Matthew (who had to finish a text message before talking to me) advising I wish to speak with Management, he refused to oblige, saying his manager is not in at the moment, I asked to speak with the manager on the phone, Matthew simply said "NO". He did take down my contact phone number and assured me that I would be hearing back from the manager the same day. This did not happen.

Upon checking out, we had the misfortune of Matthew checking us out, he couldn't even make eye contact, I asked him if he had spoken to the manager at all, he said yes, however I am skeptical that ever occured.

The lady working front desk on the Wednesday/Thurs night had given us a bus timetable and directions where to catch the bus from for our return trip to the Port Authority Bus terminal on Saturday morning. She gave us costing, however never advised a metcard was required, also that the "5 minute walk" would actually be a 30 minute walk. Thankfully the local convenience store were more than helpful and booked us a taxi. However this inconvenienced us with needless stress and a $20 taxi ride (I have kept the receipt).

The neglegence of the staff - front desk and housekeeping made for a very unsatisfactory stay. We will never be staying at this brand of hotel ever again as with Travel being such a huge passion of ours, we wish to have pleasant memories of future holidays and encounter staff who are properly trained in customer service.

On the brightside, the bloke who did the complimenatry shuttle service each night was excellent, the one shining light from this experience.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 13, 2012

For a quick trip to Staten Island over the weekend we were staying at this hotel. Having never stayed there before we were surprised(shocke) at the size of our room. Dorm rooms are bigger. I couldn't wait to get out of there. For a smoke free room there sure was smokey.

Room Tip: Check for other hotels. Very pricey. Noisy.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Two out of three rooms we reserved for one night did NOT have a working shower! We told the front desk and they sent up a repair person, who confirmed that there was NO working shower. It wasn't fixed, and there was no compensation. The rooms were small, but adequate, and the beds were comfortable. However, paying upwards of $90 for a room without a shower is unacceptable.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Candace L
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I tend sometimes to be a little picky. So, I will tell you guys it is a nice, clean, comfortable hotel. For the amount of money, it is perfect. I stayed overnight, my room was clean and a great night sleep. Breakfast was good, it was eggs, sausage and all you can eat muffins, cereal and waffles. Plus juices and coffee. And it all tasted pleasant. If I have to go back to Staten Island, this is where I would stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We had a short amount of time to visit NYC and this hotel had the best price I could find(much lower than anyplace in Manhattan). It had great reviews so I decided to give it a shot. It was very nice, very new, very clean, and had a very friendly and helpful staff(they made great suggestions about visiting Manhattan). Its location on the far side of Staten Island made it take about an hour to get to Manhattan, which was a drag, but like I said, it was a good price. I didn't like Staten Island, but the Staten Island Ferry was fun to ride and that view of Manhattan as you went in was priceless.

Room Tip: My room in the back faced out to a grassy hill, which was beautiful and a surprising view for a hote...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hampton Inn & Suites Staten Island
Hotel Executive Suites
Hotel Executive Suites
#2 of 2 in Carteret

Been to Comfort Inn Staten Island? Share your experiences!