“Do Not Stay Here...”

The Harbor House
London
“Do Not Stay Here...”
Reviewed August 13, 2007

...unless you really are on a very low budget. The place is really a a dump and we are sure our bed had bugs in it. We found two dead ones, all red and bloated on two mornings, IN THE BED! My wife freaked. Plus we must agree with the review from Stephi Lincoln in Philie lower down, the attitude sucks when you ask about your bill, however polite you are. We asked what all the extra charges were for when signing in, but could not get a clear answer apart from a wave towards a certificate on the wall! We asked again but not until finally leaving, fearing the same issue Stephi seemed to have during her stay. Again, even with a pen and calculator Molly could not explain, she simply took an email address and said it would be sorted. I was not contacted by them and after 3 polite emails in a week from me, (and after I had checked the US tax system out!) I finally got a reply and he agreed a small refund. But only after I contacted my Visa company to hold any payment due to a dispute and added this to my third email. Note that Molly is just an underpaid and overworked employee. She knows little and is most insecure and quiet, almost unfriendly. A little unnerving really. The rooms are old and the whole place needs a refurbishment to creaking old uneven floors, very old bathrooms etc etc. And did I mention the bugs in the bedrooms? We found another type dead on the floor, like a big earwig thing!!! Plus its a long way by bus and boat to Manhattan. Quite tiring as yoy really cannot get back to your room during the day as its about 90 mins round trip. So you are out all day and evening really which is not good and you should try and pay axtra for a Manhattan base. And did I mention the bugs outside...HUGE wasp or hornet type things that are nesting by the front door in a bush. They buzz constantly around (in Summer) and you have to run the gauntlet to get in and out. About size of your little finger, seriously. Yet they do nothing about this. To sum up, its a money grabbing exercise by the owner who is hidden in the background somewhere, who will keep trading it until its just so bad no-one comes. Then it will be demolished . This is quite near now I think. And did I mention the bugs...

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — The hotel !
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank LondonPeople

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed June 23, 2007

I came to Staten Island to visit friends, and happened across this place on the interent. For New York, its a good deal, as many places are overpriced. The view of the Harbor can't be beat, and if city life can overwhelm you at times, its a great place to be able to see New York and have a peaceful place to return to.

Customer service is not always the greatest here however. During my stay I often felt like I was inconveniencing the manager of the bed and breakfast.

My other complaint is that the breakfast was extremely basic during my stay that I did not even bother with it after the first day.

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — the breakfast
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
2 Thank missjess34
Texas
Reviewed June 15, 2007

Great view, great location. In a quiet and safe residential neighborhood (quiet by NYC standards). A quick bus or train ride and then the SI ferry puts you in downtown Manhattan. I found the place to be very clean and well maintained, and Molly was a wonderful hostess. Breakfast was always a very social event with all the visiting foreigners, who all seemed to be enjoying their stay as well. For affordable lodging in NYC, this is a great deal. BONUS: a diner and liquor store are just a short walk up the street.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — No A/C
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Wilmas_Gramma
Wisconsin
Reviewed May 1, 2007

I thought this was a wonderful little bed and breakfast for the price. It was clean, quaint, and quiet, and the hosts were very pleasant. I was pleased with the condition of the bed - sometimes hotel beds are worn out and you have back and neck pain when you wake up, but this was one of the most comfortable beds I've slept in. The water pressure and hot water in the bathroom were great, and there was little if any noise from adjacent rooms or from outside. The breakfast was nothing special, but I wasn't expecting much from a continental breakfast anyway.

The hosts were fantastic. They happily stayed up late when I didn't get there in time to check in, even though I could tell they were exhausted. They were understanding of my situation, too - I was in NY to look for apartments and my reservations were kind of day to day, but they didn't seem to mind. Mervin (sp?) also gave me some good advice about the schools in NYC when he found out I was coming there to be a teacher. I thought that was a nice personal touch.

The location is fine. It's about 20 minutes by bus to the ferry and another 30 minutes from there to downtown Manhattan - but if you're on vacation anyway you shouldn't mind taking an extra hour to travel each morning. You probably save $100 a day by doing so - I think a place like this would be close to $200 a night in Manhattan, if not more.

The only thing that kept me from giving this five stars was the limited wireless access. It had to be almost perfect weather for me to access the internet from my room. But the benefits far outweighed the disadvantages and I will be recommending the harbor house to any friends and family members who come to visit me when I move to NYC.

• Liked — value, quaintness
  • Disliked — lack of internet access
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank PookieWI
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2006

We stayed here for the NYC Marathon 2006 and couldn't fault the place, its location a few blocks from the start made it a dream location with no 5am Manhattan start for us!!!

With a bus stop at the end of the road that takes you straight to the ferry port you are an hour (max) from being on the tip of Manhattan so just get yourself a metro card and it’s all covered.

As for the B&B, breakfast was fine and more than adequate, for us it was a benefit to have it included and my 20 month old daughter had a whale of a time - and I even had Tea made for me so was more than happy. The rooms was always clean and tidy and we felt in a safe and quite environment - and with a view to die for we had no complaints and would happily stay there again AND recommend others to do so.

• Liked — Views and hospitality
  • Disliked — its 1 hour from Manhatten
  • Tips/Secrets — fly into Newark its closer
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank alpenwest
ny
Reviewed November 3, 2006

don't go- except for the view the rest is a nightmare!

• Stayed February 2006
4 Thank jzk
London, UK
Reviewed September 6, 2006

My wife and I stayed here for one night in August, and weren’t particularly impressed. It was cheap compared to other places to stay, but we’ve stayed in much better B&Bs (admittedly not in NYC) for less. The Hotel’s location right on the waterfront means the views are lovely, but it’s still a fair way from the ferry, meaning a bus ride, a ferry ride and a subway ride before reaching downtown - which could take two hours. Having said that, the ferry’s a great way to approach Manhattan of course. The Hotel itself could have been better. We didn’t find the hotel staff particularly welcoming, and the décor seemed a bit shabby to say the least. Breakfast was functional - toast/cereal - no home-made pancakes or hot food. My wife wasn't convinced that the sheets were clean or at least ironed, and (I think) there was no air-conditioning in the main bedroom. There is plenty of parking on-street nearby. I think with a bit of love and investment the Hotel could be a real gem, but I wouldn’t consider staying there again the next time we are in NYC.

• Liked — The Views
  • Disliked — the disappointing breakfast and service
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple