“Not bad but you might find better deals”
Review of The Harbor House

The Harbor House
Tampa
“Not bad but you might find better deals”
Reviewed May 25, 2009

Me and my husband were traveling by car and we did not want to take it into Manhattan so Staten Island seemed good. We stayed at the Harbor House and have different feelings. The B&B is an older building with screeking floors etc., but cozy if you like it that way. We had the Verrazano room which was surprisingly big with an extra room just to sit in. The view is nice and it seemed like a quiet neighborhood. unfortunately the owner is a getting used too. The first day we arrived the streets were blocked because of a bike race which nobody told us of so we got not even park close to the B&B for a several hours. as well as she tried to be nice it seemed like there was never a good time to bother her with questions. She was not rude but i have stayed at more friendlier B&B.
The only downside. The busride is about 10 minutes and you have to add another 20 minutes on the ferry to get to downtown. usually they are both matching their timing, but if you need to get to the ferry and have many other stops your 10 minutes might add up to miss the ferry. So getting to Manhattan might easily take 45 minutes. This place is not a bad deal and if you pay cash you get 10% off but there might be better deals right in Manhattan or closer.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
UK
Reviewed October 9, 2008

We stayed here for 1 week at the beginning of October 2008. The best thing about this place is the uninterupted panoramic views of NY harbour and Manhatten Island. They are simply superb and you wont find better.

Getting the ferry each day was always as easy as it could be, the timing of the bus/ferry/subway meant streamlined traveling without any serious delays. Congrats to the authorities for getting this so right. And of course the ferry itself is free.

However, if you are going to spend most of your time in Manhatten then Queens or Brooklyn would be a much closer option.

A 7 day metro card is 35 dollars and works on the subway and buses. The ferry is free. So from Harbour House it is a 10 minute bus ride, a 25 minute ferry then straight into the subway for the red line or the Green line is a 2 minute walk - very easy, very cheap but it does become tedious after a while. A cab ride from Times square to Harbour House is 65 dollars plus that 18% tip.

On the subject of tips we find it incredible that they demand such a high amount where ever you go. Staff are very careful to tell you at payment time in cabs, restaurants exactly what size tip they expect. They will hover around you till they get it as well.

Harbour House itself is not much to write home about. The lady who runs it was OK. We found that if we made the extra effort she was accomodating. The food was basic but I only need a coffee and a slice of toast so it suited me.

The rooms were cleanish, and beds comfortable. The building is situated on a bend in the road and is incredibly noisy - BEWARE!

Take your own toilet paper - American paper is substandard, like cheap tissue paper.

There is a Dunkin Donut shop 1 block away and their breakfasts are superior the Harbour House.

Staten Island itself is a very poor relation to Manhatten.

Would I stay in Harbour House again? No

Would I stay on Staten Island again? No

People usually visit NY to see the attractions and to shop. ALL of this is on Manhatten island so my top tip is to save up your pennies and stay actually on Manhatten Island and never be more than a short subway ride to your bed.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Orlando fl.
Reviewed May 15, 2008

I'm moved out of Brooklyn NY. 23 years ago to orlando Fl. So it was time for me to get away alone and visit some friends that I have not seen in many years. I chose Habor house because it was told by a friend the area was very safe and quiet (my biggest concern) being I was alone. I loved the view from my room and the front porch it was peaceful- I really did not expect a whole lot for the price, although I did suggest some decor tips that would update the room I was in and it would not have cost them much to do.I only seen the owners in the morning and the breakfast was only ok if I was desperate.....I was mainly here for the rest and the food I miss so very much(pizza,bagels..... from a bagel place to bring home with me. The only thing was the day I was leaving Molly was not very friendly did not even say Hope you join us again. Well I have done some researching there are other B&B's in Staten Island that look a lot better and for the same price
I just have to find out about the area.

• Liked — The view and quietness
  • Disliked — The decor of my room
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank dchinadoll
california
Reviewed May 14, 2008

There are pros and cons on the Harbor House, but every Hotel or Bed & Breakfast has some.
Pro's 1.) The view from the picturesque Harbor House is fantastic; to your right is the Verrazano Bridge, which at night is beautifully lit up. Swinging north is the southernmost part of Brooklyn, looking across the bay, just 6 miles away, you see the southernmost part of Manhattan, the Statue of Liberty, and New Jersey. At night you can see them glowing in the distance.
2.) The house is in a quiet and safe residential district. There is little traffic noise, in fact the house is so well insulated that when the frigid wind comes howling off of the bay you don't even hear it.

Neturals- breakfast is cornflakes, bread, croissants, occasionally bagels and an orange type drink. There is also milk and coffee or tea. A second type of the cereal and fresh fruit would be nice.

Cons – 1.) The amount of time you lose getting to Manhattan. The Harbor House's 2.6 miles from the Ferry terminal. If you take public transit the average time it took me from leaving the door at the Harbor House to Manhattan was almost 90 minutes. It takes more than 20 minutes to get to the terminal. The Ferry leaves on the hour and half hour and normally you have a 15 to 20 minute wait. The Ferry trip is 30 minutes long. Basically, you lose 2 1/2 to three hours a day traveling to and from the southernmost end of Manhattan to the Harbor House.
2.) The Wireless internet did not work the entire time I was there.

Check out time in is 11 a.m. and if your flight is not until late at night you may want to consider taking your bags to the airport early. At JFK (as of May 2008) terminals one and four have baggage storage for a few bucks you can drop your bags off and go back for a few more hours. Take the A or E subway trains and transfer to the air trains at JFK. The air trains are an additional five dollars per direction.

On my next trip to Manhattan, I'll pay the extra few bucks and stay on Manhattan rather than lose the travel time between Staten Island and Manhattan.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
London, UK
Reviewed May 6, 2008

We stayed at the Harbor House on weekend in New York in November. After reading previous reviews I was a little worried about what we might find but for the price the b&b was great. We had a double room with shared bathroom which wasn't a worry as we never had to wait for the bathroom to become free. The b&b was quiet and clean and real value for money.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
Worcs.
Reviewed November 18, 2007

We had a fantastic time at the Harbor House at the end of October. I was a little concerned about what it might be like because of an earlier review, but we needn't have worried.
We had a lovely greeting from Molly who made sure we had all the information we needed to enjoy our stay - where to get bus tickets, times of trains and ferries, guide book etc.
Our room overlooked the water and we could lie in bed and watch boats coming backwards and forwards. It was very relaxing, yet Manhattan was only 45 minutes away by bus and ferry.
If you want a 5* building, then stay in Manhattan. If you want a value for money ,enjoyable time then Harbor House is well worth considering. We went to New York as a 'one off' but are hooked and will certainly be going back.

• Liked — The fantistic views and the value for money
  • Disliked — Minor repairs needed to building
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 23, 2007

We had to be in Staten Island for a family wedding and we didn't want to spend a fortune for a hotel. We found this B&B online and thought, for one night how bad can it be? What a pleasant surprise it was. We had the Verrazano suite, which has a roomy bedroom, a cozy little sitting area, a private bathroom and the most magnificent view of New York! Although everything is a little rundown, its still very comfortable and a great value for the price. The breakfast was simple but quite adequate and our fellow guests were interesting and delightful. We would certainly stay here again and would recommend it for anyone looking for reasonably priced accommodations in New York.

• Liked — Beautiful view
  • Disliked — Furniture is a little rundown
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business