“Beautiful View..”

The Harbor House
staten island new york
“Beautiful View..”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I dislike giving poor reviews,however I will start with what is excellent about the Harbor House..The view is incredible..NY Skyline..right in front of you, the Verrazano to the right..also the Alice Austin House is a wonderful place to take a morning walk..or sit and absorb the beautiful scenery,sitting by the tree,with the wraparound bench that is in front of the Alice Austin House..tranquility..The Harbor House is welcoming..on the water..a very nice sitting area outside...upon entering..is the breakfast area,set up with coffee maker, toaster..what you would find in a motel,that serves a continental breakfast..and that is the type of breakfast you will receive..on the table in the morning you will find cereal ( in plastic containers) the coffee will be made,or tea if you like..and the only other item I saw for breakfast was a few rolls or croissants in a breadbox..I have been to several B&B's,this one is the first that served so little, not that I am a big breakfast eater, I'm not,however it was less than a continental breakfast..My room... the view from it was as I said incredible...but.. the decor was to say ridiculous..the bed was uncomfortable, the sheets..thin cotton almost see through, the floral bedspread was something you would see at a budget motel..I felt like it wasn't clean..it clashed with the stripe drapes..the chair in the room was stained & filthy,the dresser was old, cracked chipped..the rug, i wouldn't walk on without socks...the bathroom was ok, but could have been cleaned better..in essence I was disappointed..the owners should definitely consult an interior designer to make the rooms inviting...It's a beautiful house in a wonderful area..walking distance to the bus to the ferry..the area also has a good Trattoria in walking distance, a deli,Dunkin Donuts,subway,and a delicious bakery.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms facing the Skyline
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank IslandNative725

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I've been to Harbor house twice before my recent visit. This time it was for my 3rd year anniversary. Every time we are greeted with wonder customer service and Hospitality from Moe. I consider him more of a friend than just the owner. Anytime we come we are always happy to come back again and again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Danni B
New York
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Due to an approaching snow storm, I needed a place to stay so I would be close to my place of employment. The Harbor House was the closest and least expensive of the 12 hotels on Staten island.

I never stayed at a B&B before so I was concerned about the size of the room. My room was fairly large compared to a standers hotel room. There was a canopy bed, over stuffed chair, TV, sink and wifi. My room had a shared bath which was quite large for a bathroom with a shower.

The room had a radiator heat which could not be turned off. The room was very warm so I opened the window a little controlled the temperature that way.

The room could of used a fresh coat of paint as there seemed to be some scuff marks on the walls.

I departed at 3:00am so I did not experience the "breakfast" part of the B&B. But the owner did offer to set up the coffee pot for me so I would just have to turn it on. He also left out a selection of single serve cold cereal containers.

Overall, the price was right for a room that I needed to relax in during a major snow storm.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed December 10, 2013

We recently stayed at The Harbor House before and after a cruise out of Manhattan. Although we arrived later than expected, we were greeted warmly by Moe. He was very knowledgeable about the area and gave us suggestions for our meals when we returned. He helped us plan our route out of Statin Island back to I-81 using a better route than our GPS used bringing us there. We saved about 2 hours travel time! Thanks, Moe. We would not hesitate to recommend The Harbor House.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 29, 2013

I recently spent several months on staten island working on the clean -up crew during the aftermath of hurricane Sandy. I bounced around from hotel to motel for a few weeks before I stumbled across the Harbor House. I fell in love with the place...the view of the city... the wind on the ocean....The giant ships waiting to head out across the ocean
I spent the next seven months there and it truly become a second home.....
The inn itself is an amazing old mansion seated right on the water and the waves literally rock you to sleep at night and there's something wonderfully eerie and mysterious about a fog horn droning across the water during a stormy night
And then there's the innkeeper ...Mo ..who can discuss anything from politics to cricket and loves nothing more than a heartfelt debate at the breakfast table....
If your looking for anonymity ....and the services of a chain hotel...this probably isn't for you
But if you'd like to join us on the front porch and enjoy the the wind and water and an amazing view and a cup of Mo's coffee....we'll leave the light on for you

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank James H
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Harbor House during a recent trip to NYC. Moe was an extremely hospitable host. Each room is unique and clean. The view of the New York skyline is priceless. We will definitely be back every time we visit our daughter and her family. Keep the light on for your favorite couple from Pittsburgh Moe!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Langport, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Excellent experience on short trip 1-4 November, and managers Moe and Karima were very helpful before and during stay (quick to confirm details by email - very important - helpful on phone, and stayed late for arrival at midnight after delayed flight). All good, from room to breakfast, plus great views and the free daily cruise known as the Staten Island Ferry. Five stars.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family