“Nice dinner on SI”

Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

Street parking, although there is a municipal lot a couple blocks away.
Seated quickly as we were eating at an off hour between normal lunch and dinner crowds.
Ordered drinks and several tapas. They kept pushing the lamb chops even though I said I wasn't fond of lamb.

What was enjoyable -
Automatically served homemade bread with giant olives & garlic in olive oil.
Sangria Martini - burgundy wine,‍ cointreau, pomegranate juice, fresh lemons limes & served on a martini glass rimmed with sugar, nutmeg & cinnamon. Kept licking my lips with this one.
Bistek Tampanade - mouthwatering beef medallions with grilled eggplant & kalamata olive tampanade. Ordered this medium.
Costillas Estofadas - tender grilled baby back ribs basted with mango ginger BBQ sauce. Fall off the bone tender and not too much drippy sauce.
Homemade Guacamole - just can't go wrong with this.
Tres Leches Cake - cake with three 'milks' topped with fresh fruit. Save room for this!

Fair warning/Just ok -
Hierbas de Scallops - seared scallops‍ wrapped with honey bacon served with balsamic herb topping. This was good but the bacon was still a little to soggy.
Spinach & Chick Peas - spinach, sauteŽed with chick peas, caramelized onions, garlic & cava champagne. Very liquidity; expected less fluid.
Chorizo con Pasta - traditional spanish chorizo sautéed with garlic, broccoli rabe, sherry wine & served over penne pasta. This was equivalent to Italian food with spanish chorizo thrown in.
Fried Plantains - seemed to be sitting for a bit. Very soggy or overripe.

Overall: would still return and find more favorites.

Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

We went here as the wife had read on TA that it was 'was just like being in Barcelona' - trust me it isn't - unless, perhaps, you frequent the blatant tourist joints in Barcelona.

Very average. Family of five had six tapas dishes. Two of which I'd order again.

They tried to charge us for two bottles of wine. To be fair, the first one we ordered was 'out of stock' (it was the cheapest bottle they had at $26) and they apparently forgot to remove it. Genuine mistake or the oldest trick in the book?

Everything was average. An experience we won't remember.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

brought me right back to spain whilst backpacking Europe. was an exciting feeling and many mixed emotions.
I will bring a celebratory party here again and again.
thank you all for a fantastic evening of delight and tasty foods

Reviewed December 10, 2013

I came here for dinner with our friends we had 45 min. wait which was not to bad considering a weekend nite , beso is a very nice place to enjoy tapas and many other different dishes however it is a little expensive, but worth it when you're in the mood for spanish cuisine, the marinated garlic&olives and homemade bread were delicious, while waiting I went to the bar and ordered a pitcher of red sangria for our ladies it was kind of tart and $28 bucks in my opinion it was overpriced a load of ice with some wine and fruit juice, our server was nice but inattentive , it is a little tough to find parking, overall not a bad experience , I will come back here in the future minus the sangria.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

This review is limited to the tapas. Three of us met for lunch Sunday. First time there for all of us.
Eating light as of late led me to the tapas section of the menu. There is a $19.95 Sunday brunch menu. It looks good but too much food for me. There was a nice ambience. It felt like Barcelona or Madrid might feel. It's a low lighting, small, downstairs restaurant. There is a nice curved bar where some were eating lunch. Live music, a guitarist was a nice touch. I don't know when the music is there and when it is not but I enjoyed the background entertainment, which did not interfere with conversation. I ordered 4 tapas for the three of us to share. We had the fried goat cheese with lemon-honey sauce. It was one of the best things I ever ate. It could have been a dessert..this alone warrants the 5 star rating. Tierra y mar was a combination of lamb chops,scallops,shrimp and calamri...it was also excellent. The guacamole with crab and chipotle was delicious and filling......there was plenty of crab. The 4th dish was the Portobello mushroom with tomato-onion topping. It was good but not special. Service was good. My brother had a reasonably priced glass of merlot which he enjoyed. I can't wait to go back. Especially on a Sunday afternoon.