“Italian home cooking”

Enoteca Maria
Ranked #13 of 816 Restaurants in Staten Island
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: With two Kitchens, and while one is always staffed by an Italian Grandmother, we simultaneously feature a Grandmother from another country cooking up their cultural cuisine.. We are proud to present, Nonnas of the World! thank you for supporting our efforts to celebrate every Culture... warmly Jody Scaravella Enoteca Maria
Helsinki, Finland
“Italian home cooking”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

We took a ferry to Staten Island on Saturday afternoon and wanted to get late lunch. Enoteca Maria was just about to open (3:00 pm) so we went in.

We shared prosciutto ham with pineapple as a starter and for the main course we had linguini aglio olio and lasagne. Everything tasted fresh and good. There was also house appetizer and the bread was so delicious. I'm sure it just came from the oven.

This is not a fine dining restaurant but the food is great. The staff was very friedly. They have a cash only policy.

“Awesome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

This is the best Italian restaurant ever! A "must do" when you're in NYC! The food is authentic and the 'mommas' are awesome!

• Visited June 2014
New York City, New York
“Interesting food, high energy atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

The food is good and far from your traditional Italian restaurant fare- so honestly, if you're a finicky eater, you may want to check the ever-changing daily menu online to make sure this is the night you want to go. It's always crowded and noisy, which is partly because of the way the restaurant is set up. That's fine if you're in the mood and looking for that experience, but I wouldn't come here for a romantic dinner or if you hope to have a quiet conversation with someone. It's very much like a busy restaurant in Manhattan, with the pluses and minuses that implies. Definitely a place to try if you want something different since the menu changes so frequently.

Visited May 2014
Staten Island, New York
“Manhattan quality in Staten Island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

We visited this small restaurant for the first time with another couple on a Saturday night. I was impressed by the menu which offered a special page of what the Grandma had cooked for that evening. They also had the regular menu. The tables are few and the place is tight, however that soon becomes unimportant once the food arrives. I ordered a glass of wine from Calabria in honor of my grandmother's town of Reggio. A fruity red which I thoroughly enjoyed. The appetizers were great, pear salad, octopus and Parma prosciutto wrapped around sweet pineapple.
I had bass in a wine lemon sauce, light and sweet. My husband ordered rabbit, delightful. The desserts should not be missed.
One thing I will say, however, was that there was a table of guests (12 or so) that were SO loud that it nearly ruined our evening. Two hours of screeching and high pitched laughter which at
times we could not converse. So annoying!!!! What's the story....should the owner have said something to them ? I think,a polite request to tone it down could not hurt.
Will I go back, yes but probably not on a Saturday night.

• Visited June 2014
Staten Island, New York
“Just like my Nonna's”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014

My wife and i went on a night when the Sicilian Nonna was cooking and the sauce tasted just like my Nonna's used to taste. The seating is a little tight but the food and service more than makes up for it. Not your typical local Italian restaurant, but a must if you want REAL Italian food.

• Visited May 2014