“Enjoyable weekend”

GreenLeadersBronze level
East Windsor, New Jersey
“Enjoyable weekend”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

My wife and I had a very enjoyable weekend in the Catskills. The accommodations were fine, the food was good, and the hosts were gracious. We prefer the intimacy of a small setting like this rather than a large, impersonal hotel.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
LewisHarrison, Owner at Catskill Bed & Breakfast Spa, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thanks for your kind review. We are a small B & B and do everything to make our guest's stay pleasant and memorable in all the best ways

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Syracuse, New York, United States
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

The owner of this B&B asked me to not write a review unless it would be positive; however, I believe in giving honest and unbiased feedback. I think that to truly do well in the service industry you need to put your customers needs and wants first and to be open to feedback and criticism, not just dismiss it or place it on others.
The owners of this B&B were sweet and welcoming people. It is a lovely old house in a quaint and friendly little town. The downstairs of the house was nicely decorated and our room and private bath were dated but comfortable. Several other parts of the house were not well maintained or furnished and I likely would have been disappointed to wind up in those areas.
Lewis, the owner, is a knowledgable and interesting man who describes himself as "eccentric". As stated in other reviews, he seems to enjoy the companionship of guests as a platform to share his own stories. While he does ask if you mind his company, I think it would take an awfully rude person to ask him to stop talking or leave the table. He enjoys sitting with his guests at meals which at times is entertaining and at times uncomfortable.
The meals he prepares are unique and tasty although I find it misleading to call them "gourmet". We purchased a seven course meal with wine pairing and needed to ask for wine several times only to be offered a mixture of two bad wines combined.
While there were aspects of the trip that we enjoyed, I did not feel it was worth what we spent. I tried to speak with Lewis about this but he became very defensive and blamed Living Social for faulty advertising. I became so upset that I needed to ask him to stop talking about it. My recommendation would be to speak with them first and be clear about what you are expecting and not assume you will get what is included in your advertised package

• Stayed January 2013
5 Thank Monique W
we appreciate this review. All feedback enables us to offer better customer service.

We offer simple "gourmet" vegetarian fare and a choice of Red, White or Rose.

We have different types of rooms here some filled with antiques and other more basic furnishings for those seeking something simpler who who may have children. I am glad they liked their accomodations. The other rooms would not have been appropriate for them.
NY
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The building is a beautiful old mansion in a very quaint town. Our room was very clean and comfortable. The innkeeper is a somewhat overbearing host. He is a nice guy but seems to forget that we are his guests and not his audience. During breakfast with other guests, he had a tendency to both interrupt and monopolize the conversations, which were mostly about himself. The breakfast was minimal but ok. He cooked eggs for guests and served fruit, tea and coffee. The eggs were very small portions and the coffee was flavored and lukewarm. I prefer just plain coffee for breakfasts. It does appear that the innkeeper is struggling to keep this place open. It is a very large building to heat so there was very little heat in the place (which is understandable) and our room was comfortably warmed with a small space heater. The bathroom was dated but clean. It is a very lovely place, but I think the innkeeper needs to pay more attention to his guests’ needs and not his; especially if he wants guests to return or recommend this place. This was not a horrible experience but there is most definitely room for improvement. During breakfast we did meet his wife who was a lovely woman and treated us like guests.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Let me start by saying that I've never been so stressed on vacay in my entire life....where do I begin? Well, I'm considering to fight for a full refund from Living Social if that tells you anything- My bf and I were "welcomed" with a screw-up with our room, so now we're in a musty, moldy room, with no curtains, no a/c, windows that don't open, toiletries from other hotels, and a door that didn't close/lock. Getting linens and towels was a job in and of itself so we decided on settling on the torn linens we were given plus the one towel to share between the two of us to just avoid the aggravation and to avoid having to deal with the owner who is clearly an unbalanced, lonely man who kept cornering us to talk incessantly about himself whenever he had the opportunity-how brilliant he is, how many books he's written, how he's contributed to economics and game theory.....it got so bad that we had to strategically plan our exit/return to our room to avoid running into him which was of course, impossible. If we hadn't already had a prior engagement in the area we would have left within the hour upon arriving but unfortunately, we were stuck. To make matters worse, the food was a joke-this self-proclaimed chef (who btw looked very unkempt, dirty clothes,hands,finger nails) offered us each one under-done frozen waffle for breakfast and cold coffee (which we did not eat) so now of course we have to shell out more $$$$ for meals for the entire weekend. We even declined an offer for a 7 course meal cooked by him to make up for the room mix-up. After a closer look at his appearance and the thought of several hours trapped with this man at dinner (he joins the guests for meals and talks about, guess what....himself) we decided to pass. I had no interest in returning back home with a case of Botulism or a prescription for Xanax:( I could go on but there's enough time in the day to mention everything....my biggest regret is not having read the reviews on Yelp before buying my Living Social voucher. But I won't be making that mistake ever again. Undeniably the WORST vacation and bed & breakfast experience I've ever had......!!!!!

• Stayed June 2012
4 Thank OhmShantiOhm
CatskillsBandB, Owner at Catskill Bed & Breakfast Spa, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
These guests did not receive the refund they requested from living social because they were dishonest with much of what they said. All of our rooms are thoroughly cleaned after each guest. Beds have fresh linen (high thread count linen) and fresh towels for each guest–As many as they wish. If they did not have the towels they wanted it is because they did not ask. We speak with guest. We ask them about where they are from, what kind of work they do etc. We only do this with permission. I am a clean an sanitary person. Nails, hair, clothes kitchen. I do not always shave. Our waffles are made from scratch from WW Floor, baking soda and yogurt and served with real maple syrup. If guest wish they can also order toast, eggs, jam, tea, cold and hot cereal etc. I’m sorry they did not appreciate my cooking. Many people do. Our Hazelnut Coffee is brewed fresh and hot. Because they were unhappy with their room and we could not move them because we were fully booked we offered them both full dinners. We thought this was being gracious on our part.

It seems that they did not like my cooking and also felt the portions were too small.
We truly care about our guests. When they ask for what they need we respond immediately.
We they do not communicate their needs we cannot address them.
ELBRIDGE
Reviewed August 13, 2012

This trip was supposed to be a fun Girls Weekend. I had purchased a LivingSocial voucher that included two nights accommodation, two breakfasts, one dinner, welcome kit and a gourmet vegetarian cooking class for $369. It sounded great, but we were so appalled with this place that we left hours after arriving.

When we pulled into the driveway, there were several people on the porch, but by the time we parked and walked to what was apparently the main door, there was no one to be seen. We wandered in, calling hello, and were met by the innkeeper who was wearing a dirty pair of pants and a dirty t-shirt. He led us to the porch and rambled on a bit about the place, but at no time mentioned our welcome kit or the cooling class. He did ask if we wanted out complimentary dinner that night or the next, and we opted for the following night, which turned out to be a wise choice. During our conversation, another guest walked hurriedly by, and as soon as he had passed, our host made disparaging comments about another him!

We were then led through the main floor, which looked quite nice, filled with antiques and art. We followed the innkeeper up a narrow flight flight of stairs, carrying our own luggage to the 3rd floor. We were shown our room, which was tiny and under a dormer, so you could only stand up straight in the middle of the room. It had two twin beds that were saggy and squeaky when we later sat on them. The floors were 1960's linoleum, scuffed up and cracked, and the whole place smelled musty. It was 90+ degrees outdoors and at least that hot in our room, with no air conditioning, only one window that opened, and two fans to blow the hot air around. The innkeeper told us that the temperature would drop in the evening and the room would be much cooler. He also showed us a larger room on the same floor, which had a queen bed, and said "you can use this bed if you're feeling romantic", which was totally inappropriate. He then left, and we checked out the tiny, 1950's bathroom, which had one window taped over with dirty plastic and a non-working wall fan.

I'm not sure why we didn't just leave right then and there, but we decided to take a short walk around the village and have dinner at a local restaurant. We then headed back to the Catskills Bed and Breakfast, hoping that the room would be cooler now that it was 9:00pm and the sun was down, but the room was just as hot at it was when we arrived at 4:30pm. We both agreed that it would be impossible to sleep in that heat, so we decided to cut our losses and leave right away. The innkeeper had made us feel very uncomfortable and we did not want to encounter him again so we just left without saying a word to anyone.

This is just a taste of our experience and gut feel - we didn't sleep there and we didn't eat there. But our intuition told us that this place was weird at best and downright creepy at worst. After we got home, we found many negative reviews of Catksills B&B on another travel site, which confirmed our instincts. The good news is that when I called LivingSocial the next day they agreed to a full credit, and stated that they had also received negative comments about this place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank CAROL B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stamford
The Colonial B&B At Stamford
#1 of 2 in Margaretville
Moore's Motel
Moore's Motel
#1 of 1 in Prattsville

Been to Catskill Bed & Breakfast Spa? Share your experiences!