“Visit to Melody Lodge”

Melody Lodge Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 16 Restaurants in Speculator
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Melody Lodge MelodyLodge MelodyLodgeRestaurant Melody Lodge Restaurant
Schenectady, New York
“Visit to Melody Lodge”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

This place is great, go up for dinner on my birthday. The family who owns it are friends too. Excellent location, view and menu. I'm a member of their mug club also.

• Visited September 2013

Hopewell Junction, New York
“Good food, nice atmosphere”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Went here for birthday dinner while on vacation in the Adirondacks...nice place, but we had to eat in bar because we did not make reservations for dining room. It was okay though, because the food was worth it. If you want a nice dining experience, make reservations. Delicious crab and shrimp dish, and the blueberry pie was to die for...

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Teri R
Chicago, Illinois
“A Gem in the Adirondacks”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

If you make it anywhere near Speculator while visiting the Adirondacks, don't miss dinner at the Melody. First, enjoy a drink outside while taking in the remarkable view (unless the bugs are bad — remember this is the Adirondacks). Then go in for a wonderful dinner. From appetizers to desserts, this place is really special. They have a nice wine list. All tables get served warm bread and marinated carrots. You may not think the carrots sound appetizing, but trust me, you DO want to try these. The entree selections are very good. My one complaint is, like many restaurants, vegetarian options are typically limited to one or two choices. I prefer vegetarian, but I occasionally eat fish, so that usually ends up being my choice in a restaurant. Desserts here are homemade, so save room. Although the restaurant is quite elegant, this is a vacation area so casual dress is acceptable if you didn't bring along nicer wear. I highly recommend this place for friends, groups, or a romantic dinner for two. Reservations are recommended.

• Visited July 2014
Schenectady, New York
“going back august 2014”
Reviewed July 18, 2014

this place is great. the history and location. kinda in the middle of nowhere ( a plus for us ). could not believe the dinner crowd. where did they come from? we like to kayak one day and hike the next. here the kunjamuk and elm lake day 1 then pine orchard day 2. fun inexpensive weekend in adirondacks. we loved the menu and food and our room ( flute) was terrif.

• Visited August 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
“Classic Setting, Pleasant Experience”
Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

We went on a Monday night and things were plenty busy. We were pretty grim by after a day of paddling on the lakes, so we opted for the tavern which is definitely not as atmospheric as the dining room. It also had two big TVs playing two different channels -muted- but nonetheless distracting, since no one seemed to be watching them. This is my personal peeve and I realize most people are not perturbed by such things.

Our server was good and friendly, in keeping with the tone of the place. He brought out some slabs of sweet pickled carrots, apparently an Inn standard. I tend not to like sweet pickles, so they were not quite up my alley, but they reminded me a bit of watermelon rind pickles you find in the South. Try them and decide for yourself.

I chose a salmon with artichokes, tomatoes and capers off the dining room menu. The salmon was fresh and cooked just right. The artichokes lent a bit of bright lemon, but where oh where were the capers? I think there were two that I uncovered. Liked the red potato mash. The asparagus soup starters needed more depth... But then could have been my poor choice of an out of of season veggie.

My spouse chose the fish and chips which in his view were merely ok. Rather than fries the potatoes were more like homemade potato chips. This was appropriately on the tavern menu. He was happy with the draft beer selections, some from the region.

We plan to return again to try the main dining room which does look lovely.

Visited July 2014