“We had a great girls getaway here and enjoyed beautiful sunsets!”

Southold Beach Motel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Southold
Reviewed September 28, 2010

When we booked this place we knew where it was located and looked forward to a few days on the beach across the street. Yes, there is a busy roadway to cross over but motorists were considerate and yielded to everyone in the crosswalk. It is so worth it when you see the beautiful August sunsets like we saw! Magnificent! And we could even enjoy them from the nice patio table and chairs just outside our unit.
The owner was very polite and accomodating from the moment we arrived. She would often pass by our little group sitting outside and ask how we were enjoying our stay. We enjoyed talking with her. We did have one problem with a clogged toilet but it was taken care of immediately by the housekeeper. She also did a great job of cleaning our room but you when you spend time on the beach you got to expect some excess sand here and there.
The room was comfortable for 4 ladies away for some fun...kitchen was small but satisfactory, bathroom looked updated and had a good shower, beds were comfortable and we all slept well despite the cars going by out front. The best amenities are the patio set on the deck outside the room and the beach access across the street. It is also a short drive to the wineries or Greenport. We would've like to have Cable TV (which is not available) and food delivered to our room (we had to drive down the road to pick up a pizza one night because they don't deliver!)
But all in all, we had an excellent time here and would definitely go back again!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 23, 2010

We were here for a wedding at the end of September 2009. When I woke up the following morning, I had a massive number of itchy bites. They were hard and high in profile unlike mosquito bites. I went straight to the management, and they allowed they were "testing" a new mattress in the room, but no way, they said did they have bed bugs. I came home, saw my dermatologist who treated me for these awful bites, and called again to ask if we could discuss the matter. The owner said she was on her cell on vacation in Montreal, could I call in a week, and I did, and the other person there said she was in Moscow for "several months." I left my name, and now, a year later, never a call, apology, offer of any compensation for doctors visit or refund on the room. I apologize to others who may have stayed here since and hope that despite the hotel's bad attitude toward me that perhaps they had the integrity to clean and sanitize the place. I wanted to give them a chance to acknowledge their discrepancies and gave them a full year, but to date, no reply.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
7  Thank HonestNYer
Reviewed July 15, 2009

When i stayed a this Motel I went to relax while being pregnant with my daughter. I stayed there with my family and my husband. the room was dirt smelled like urine. when i asked for my room to be changed it was not and the owner told me that it was all in my mind. My mother and my aunt went to clean the room and found urine in the coner of the bathroom under a basket. the owner did not want to refund the funds back to us for the weekend we where there. she also did not apologize when my mother and aunt spoke to her and showed here what they found. the rooms are small not on the water. the owner is rude. do not recomend to anyone. DIRT

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank belitsis
Reviewed October 12, 2008

My boyfriend and I had a fabulous experience at the Southold Beach Motel. I slept like a baby and it was so pleasant to wake up in the morning and go for a walk along the beautiful beach. The owner is fantastic - she accommodated our late check-in and even drove us to the Jitney in the morning! She made our North Fork experience cozy and stress-free. I would highly recommend it and absolutely go back.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2008

The motel advertising is deceiving in that a busy and loud highway separates it from the beach. A huge sand dune on the beach obstructed any view from our 'waterfront' room. Despite staying only one hour at the motel, because of the highway noise and poor weather conditions, the owner refused to reimburse any amount of the three nights we paid for. However, the owner did credit two of the three nights for a return at a non-busy time next year. The entire experience was very disappointing and I do not recommend doing business there.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Popskiw
Reviewed August 11, 2008

In what I thought would be a nice romantic get-away with my boyfriend turned into a nightmare. Let me first say that Southold is a beautiful town with several fun activities to offer (winery tours, beaches, great restaurants, etc.). However, our get-away was tarnished by the rude management and terrible room at the Southold Beach Motel. I have stayed in several beachtown community motels and know not to expect much. However, this was far worse than any room I have experienced. There was linoleum flooring, furniture and bedding from the 1970's, the bath mat was a piece of paper (no joke), and overall it was not clean. Probably the best feature was the EXIT sign over the door that was glowing red the entire night (just in case you couldn't find your way out?). I was also looking forward to my waterfront view and patio. The so-called waterfront view was separated by a slab of concrete with two chairs, a busy highway, and a construction site. You can get all of this for $250/night after all of the taxes....what a rip-off.

I was probably most disappointed when I requested my money back for the second night since I felt I was mislead in what this motel had to offer. Management of the motel was not willing to refund the money, and felt I was rude for even requesting this. In the end, I paid $500 for a one night stay in the motel from hell, and my romantic get-away weekend was cut short.

Please take my advice and STAY AWAY!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chip08NYC
Reviewed July 6, 2008

September is a beautiful time to visit the North Fork. The beaches were empty, the water was warm, the vineyards were perfect. The price was right at the Southold Beach Motel, and the owner was very lovely and always checked in to ask us about our stay. The sun seemed the set on the horizon over the desserted beach directly across from our room, which was spectacular. The room was cleaned thoroughly every day, but overall the room quality definately "motel-like". The bed and pillows were very uncomfortable. Although the room was clean, the decor was spartan, and I would not recomend more then two people per room. If you are a light sleeper, know that you will hear traffic throughout the night, and the AC is loud. If you do not expect a four star spa, or a Ritz-Carlton, you will have a great experience. We had so much to do all day, that we only came back to the room to shower and sleep, for which the accomdations were pretty much perfect.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southold
Sound View Greenport
#2 of 3 in Southold
The Pridwin Hotel
The Pridwin Hotel
#3 of 5 in Shelter Island

Been to Southold Beach Motel? Share your experiences!