“a nice hotel for the hamptons”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Southampton Inn

Southampton Inn
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Southampton
“a nice hotel for the hamptons”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

nice hotel in the hamptons. nothing fancy, its a glorified motor hotel. we have stayed here several times, usually in winter, but most recently in april. beds are very comfortable, not to soft or too hard. clean, nice staff. they have continental breakfast in the lobby and a restaurant. ok price for the area. tends toward middle-aged folks like us off season, which is a great time to explore around the hamptons. you can easily walk around downtown southampton shopping from here and there is a movie theater around the corner and numerous little restaurants and higher end hamptons-y shopping. the only downside is floors are notoriously thin and if anyone is above you will hear them clomping around like wild horses above your bed, but this is not much off an issue outside of the busy summer season.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank meesalikeu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Fresh Meadows, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

We had a youth retreat for two days at the luxurious Southampton Inn. The students all had a great time! We had full run of one of the meeting rooms for rehearsals, and our groups was able to learn 6 new pieces within 18 hours, in order to give a concert in the living room, right before Easter! The staff was accommodating and welcoming.
I was surprised, however, upon returning home to find a dozen phone calls from my credit card company, claiming that the room charges were charged 4 times! However, the next day, management said they would double check and made all the necessary changes.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Center Moriches, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

Came with a group for New Years Eve and had a great time!! Rooms were very nice and comfy..
Check In and out was easy and the staff was very friendly...
Tables were set up for 8 for the New Years Eve party and we had a party of 10 and they quickly accommodated us so we could all sit together....food was delicious and the DJ was entertaining as well..
It was a fun time overall and I would think we will probably go back next year!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

My husband and I have been going to the Southampton Inn with our dog every New Years for the past 5 or 6 years. We once again had a great time. We live on the Upper East Side and while everyone is coming into the city, we leave and never regret it. It is very fun for us to get out to the country and Southampton is so charming. The Southampton Inn has 16 pet friendly rooms, so if you want to have your pet with you, this is a perfect solution. We have an old dog that we love and can't stick in a kennel, so we take her along. The rooms are very comfortable and clean and the party is always a bargain included in the package. The cocktail hour before the dinner, the dinner itself, the music and open bar and desserts, champagne toast are all perfect and being able to walk upstairs to your room afterwards make for a safe and relaxing New Year's getaway.

On New Year's day we took a walk with our dog on Cooper's Beach and got coffee at the Golden Pear and strolled the town which was mostly closed and very quiet. It felt as if we had the town all to ourselves. We always come back to the city feeling relaxed. It is worth every penny.

Room Tip: Rooms on second floor, near the back of the Inn are the most quiet.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
St. Augustine, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

I would like to start with a thanks for a clean and spacious room. Upon arrival the staff greeted me quickly and were very friendly. The bad part... I did see mold in the grout in the shower but was otherwise clean. The water pressure from the shower was poor at best and barely made it to the center of the tub. The room, while clean, was tired. It needed updating. The furniture was a mishmash of old white bedroom sets of years gone by and the bed itself, an old Tempur-pedic. I booked this location because I have a Tempur-pedic at home and wanted to enjoy the same comfort. Not so! If it is a Tempur-pedic then it is the most firm model that has ever been sold. My night was not as I expected at all. ;-( Other disappointments... I had to request an iron to press my clothes, no coffee maker in room and according to the website there is free wireless but there was no notification in the room of the password or SSID. On top of it all, when I left the next morning I went into the registration area and asked for coffee at 7:15 AM I was informed that coffee would be ready at 7:30 in the restaurant (FYI - the website says 7:00 AM). I expect more in a hotel, especially in Southampton and I am accustomed to the basics for $180 a night. Will I stay here again? Never!

Room Tip: Look for somewhere else if possible.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank sdf66
SouthamptonInnNY, Manager at Southampton Inn, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
The Southampton Inn would like to thank you for taking the time to make us aware of areas for improvement, as our goal is to ensure every stay is thoroughly enjoyed, and we thank you for your patronage.

We appreciate you noting the cleanliness and spaciousness of our guest rooms. To answer some of your concerns, as mentioned, most amenities can be requested from our reservations team if they are not found within the guest room itself.

As you have written, we do have irons that are delivered to your guest room upon request. We also have excellent WiFi service with daily passwords available upon pressing "0" for front desk--if you misplaced the passwords provided to every guest upon check in. Our guest rooms are updated on an annual basis to reflect the light colored woods of a casual Southampton feel. We appreciate that some may prefer modern sleek dark woods--unfortunately we can not accommodate all furniture preferences. We have top of the line Tempur-Pedic mattresses, specifically selected by the manufacturer for hospitality use. While some guests may have less dense Tempur-Pedics at their homes, ours are certainly not worn out. Again, we can not accommodate all preferences but, as over 70% of our 35,000 annual visitors return year after year, we hope that our design and bedding selections are acceptable to our guests. We are the choice accommodations for some of the most noted corporations within the United States. We are very sorry that your expectations were not met, but we do hope you reconsider us for future stays. Thank you again for your patronage.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

Very surprised by the last two bad reviews. The front desk was wonderful and the rooms were sparkling. Kudos to the staff. Breakfast was a joy and right now they are offering 2 for 1. But the most impressive part of my weekend stay was how friendly and helpful the entire staff was. So I was very surprised by the arrogant management remark. This is so not the case at this great hotel.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Isadora25
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

I checked into my room at the Southampton Inn. I found what appeared to be a silverfish (insect) crawling on the bed. The room itself was very plain and looked like it hadn't been renovated in years. Also, it was rather musty (typically a sign of mold) so I decided to leave. The hotel refused to give me a refund, even though I just made the reservation that afternoon and was in the room for no more than three minutes. Despite not giving me a refund, I decided to leave anyway. Nothing is worth sleeping with insects; I would have gone camping if that was what I was looking for. This is a terrible hotel and the front desk was aloof and arrogant. They even called the owner/manager, who also refused a request for a refund. I am in the hotel business and this is no way to run a hotel. This place is horrible.

By the way, the front desk's response to the insect? "We are in the countty so there will always be bugs and insects in the room." So for anyone staying at this dump, good luck with the insects.

• Stayed November 2013
9 Thank lesfive
SouthamptonInnNY, Manager at Southampton Inn, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Unfortunately, this guest checked into a room in the country and, yes, there are sometimes insects. In this case, it was a caterpillar. The front desk offered several other rooms in different locations throughout the property but the guest refused to even see other accommodations. In fact, this guest demanded speaking with "ownership" and insisted on "special treatment because he said he had friends who knew management". While we do apologize to any visitors who do not enjoy the Southampton experience, we are pleased that over 70% of our guests return time after time; that our occupancies have risen every year with repeat customers and their friends and referrals. Most guests are delighted with the immaculate rooms, magnificent location, friendly and polite service, and the myriad of activities for all from children to corporate meeting planner, to weddings, to empty nesters exploring the beaches, art galleries, et al.

Travelers are raving about these Southampton hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Southampton
The Hamlet Inn
Topping Rose House
Topping Rose House
#1 of 1 in Bridgehampton
Gurney's Montauk Resort & Seawater Spa

Been to Southampton Inn? Share your experiences!