“New Years Eve Package”
Review of Southampton Inn

Southampton Inn
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed January 9, 2014

My husband and I have been going to the Southampton Inn with our dog every New Years for the past 5 or 6 years. We once again had a great time. We live on the Upper East Side and while everyone is coming into the city, we leave and never regret it. It is very fun for us to get out to the country and Southampton is so charming. The Southampton Inn has 16 pet friendly rooms, so if you want to have your pet with you, this is a perfect solution. We have an old dog that we love and can't stick in a kennel, so we take her along. The rooms are very comfortable and clean and the party is always a bargain included in the package. The cocktail hour before the dinner, the dinner itself, the music and open bar and desserts, champagne toast are all perfect and being able to walk upstairs to your room afterwards make for a safe and relaxing New Year's getaway.

On New Year's day we took a walk with our dog on Cooper's Beach and got coffee at the Golden Pear and strolled the town which was mostly closed and very quiet. It felt as if we had the town all to ourselves. We always come back to the city feeling relaxed. It is worth every penny.

Room Tip: Rooms on second floor, near the back of the Inn are the most quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Southampton Inn

Reviewed November 26, 2013

I would like to start with a thanks for a clean and spacious room. Upon arrival the staff greeted me quickly and were very friendly. The bad part... I did see mold in the grout in the shower but was otherwise clean. The water pressure from the shower was poor at best and barely made it to the center of the tub. The room, while clean, was tired. It needed updating. The furniture was a mishmash of old white bedroom sets of years gone by and the bed itself, an old Tempur-pedic. I booked this location because I have a Tempur-pedic at home and wanted to enjoy the same comfort. Not so! If it is a Tempur-pedic then it is the most firm model that has ever been sold. My night was not as I expected at all. ;-( Other disappointments... I had to request an iron to press my clothes, no coffee maker in room and according to the website there is free wireless but there was no notification in the room of the password or SSID. On top of it all, when I left the next morning I went into the registration area and asked for coffee at 7:15 AM I was informed that coffee would be ready at 7:30 in the restaurant (FYI - the website says 7:00 AM). I expect more in a hotel, especially in Southampton and I am accustomed to the basics for $180 a night. Will I stay here again? Never!

Room Tip: Look for somewhere else if possible.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank sdf66
SouthamptonInnNY, Manager at Southampton Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

The Southampton Inn would like to thank you for taking the time to make us aware of areas for improvement, as our goal is to ensure every stay is thoroughly enjoyed, and we thank you for your patronage.

We appreciate you noting the cleanliness and spaciousness of our guest rooms. To answer some of your concerns, as mentioned, most amenities can be requested from our reservations team if they are not found within the guest room itself.

As you have written, we do have irons that are delivered to your guest room upon request. We also have excellent WiFi service with daily passwords available upon pressing "0" for front desk--if you misplaced the passwords provided to every guest upon check in. Our guest rooms are updated on an annual basis to reflect the light colored woods of a casual Southampton feel. We appreciate that some may prefer modern sleek dark woods--unfortunately we can not accommodate all furniture preferences. We have top of the line Tempur-Pedic mattresses, specifically selected by the manufacturer for hospitality use. While some guests may have less dense Tempur-Pedics at their homes, ours are certainly not worn out. Again, we can not accommodate all preferences but, as over 70% of our 35,000 annual visitors return year after year, we hope that our design and bedding selections are acceptable to our guests. We are the choice accommodations for some of the most noted corporations within the United States. We are very sorry that your expectations were not met, but we do hope you reconsider us for future stays. Thank you again for your patronage.

Reviewed November 22, 2013

Very surprised by the last two bad reviews. The front desk was wonderful and the rooms were sparkling. Kudos to the staff. Breakfast was a joy and right now they are offering 2 for 1. But the most impressive part of my weekend stay was how friendly and helpful the entire staff was. So I was very surprised by the arrogant management remark. This is so not the case at this great hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Isadora25
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I checked into my room at the Southampton Inn. I found what appeared to be a silverfish (insect) crawling on the bed. The room itself was very plain and looked like it hadn't been renovated in years. Also, it was rather musty (typically a sign of mold) so I decided to leave. The hotel refused to give me a refund, even though I just made the reservation that afternoon and was in the room for no more than three minutes. Despite not giving me a refund, I decided to leave anyway. Nothing is worth sleeping with insects; I would have gone camping if that was what I was looking for. This is a terrible hotel and the front desk was aloof and arrogant. They even called the owner/manager, who also refused a request for a refund. I am in the hotel business and this is no way to run a hotel. This place is horrible.

By the way, the front desk's response to the insect? "We are in the countty so there will always be bugs and insects in the room." So for anyone staying at this dump, good luck with the insects.

• Stayed: November 2013
9  Thank lesfive
SouthamptonInnNY, Manager at Southampton Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Unfortunately, this guest checked into a room in the country and, yes, there are sometimes insects. In this case, it was a caterpillar. The front desk offered several other rooms in different locations throughout the property but the guest refused to even see other accommodations. In fact, this guest demanded speaking with "ownership" and insisted on "special treatment because he said he had friends who knew management". While we do apologize to any visitors who do not enjoy the Southampton experience, we are pleased that over 70% of our guests return time after time; that our occupancies have risen every year with repeat customers and their friends and referrals. Most guests are delighted with the immaculate rooms, magnificent location, friendly and polite service, and the myriad of activities for all from children to corporate meeting planner, to weddings, to empty nesters exploring the beaches, art galleries, et al.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

I didn't stay at the Southampton Inn, although I wanted to...
I tried to make a reservation on the phone but after giving all my info they weren't able to charge my credit card. First they said it was my CC's problem, then they realized their system had issues.
No problem I said- call me back when it's back up.
As I didn't hear from them again, I decided to call back. Apparently they had lost all my info so I would have had to go over every detail again- pressed for time, I asked them to email me to finalize the reservation. Of course, I never heard from them again.
A few days later, I get charged twice for a total of almost $450!
I call to get some explanations in the following days and up to today, no one is able to tell me anything useful. The phone call goes like this: I explain what happened, they say they'll look into it, then nothing... Until I call back and have to explain all over again to a different, completely clueless receptionist my situation.
Exhausted by the staff incompetence, I just decided to dispute the charges directly with my credit card company.
Do yourself a favor and find a different place to stay in Southampton (the neighboring Village Latch Inn is a cozy, charming hotel). The staff should get a lesson in hospitality 101. Stay away!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Filippo_Randon
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We arrived late and had little choice of where to stay as it was dark and out of season and this was the first place we found after trying a lit but empty motel. Plenty of parking and the room was a good size with two large beds. Downside was there was no tea or coffee making facility.
As this hotel is very close to the town finding somewhere to eat was easy enough but beware everywhere is double the prices of anywhere else. The pizza place about 100 yards away was really good and not to bad price wise.
It is also good for getting to the beach, and its walkable.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Perfect location. Unpretentious hotel. Breakfast a bit costly but food was good and so was service. Great bed. Friendly staff. Very clean and neat. Everything well maintained. I would certainly return to this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank J S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southampton
The Hamlet Inn
#1 of 1 in Bridgehampton
Bay Watch Hotel & Marina
Bay Watch Hotel & Marina
#5 of 12 in Hampton Bays

Been to Southampton Inn? Share your experiences!