“One bad experience may end a long tradition”
Review of Lobster Grille - CLOSED

Lobster Grille
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: This landmark has been here for 44 years. Serving fresh local seafood, chicken, beef and much more. a view to die for and an upstairs room for larger parties and special occasions. service is attentive, prices are reasonable, drinks are fun , nice selection of draught beers. fully air conditioned and reservations accepted.
Reviewed August 31, 2012

There are 3 Eastern LI places I make a point of visiting every summer: this restaurant, the Lobster Roll, and Gosman's. I saw it was under new management and was now the Lobster Grille, but thought nothing of it. I ordered clam bellies as an appetizer--very good. Then came my lobster salad. It was so salty it was almost inedible, and contained only small shreds of lobster meat. I sent it back, which I never do at restaurants unless something is REALLY wrong. To their credit, the restaurant comped me a replacement. The waiter explained that the first portion had come from the bottom of the container, and the replacement was from a new batch. It was much better--not salty, with large chunks of tasty lobster meat.

Dessert was key lime pie, my favorite after a seafood meal. It was good, but I remember the crust as better before and the portion more generous.

I may try it again before it shuts down for the season after Columbus Day, but I'm getting leery in view of this experience and the other recent bad reviews.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

Visiting from out of state with a group of 6. Not being a local we gave it a try as it was close by to where we were staying.

We were sat in a booth with an empty booth directly behind us. As we were 6 in a single booth someone in our group put their purse in the booth behind her with a light sweater on top of it (literally 6 inches away from her). About 5 minutes later she notices that an adult woman server (looked to be around 45-50 years old) was holding her sweater and fussing with her purse. My friend noticed this and, thinking she was just cleaning the table off at first offered to take her purse and sweater and place it somewhere in our booth. The server who was definitely surprised said "Oh! I thought this belonged to the previous group! I'm sorry, no don't worry you can leave it here". We thought absolutely nothing of this until it was time to pay the bill and over $100 was missing from the now opened purse. Being absolutely certain that her purse had been pilfered, we calmly explained the situation to the server who denied it but rather oddly replied immediately with "Is there a problem paying the bill with your group?"

The booths aren't big and this woman server was sitting down to "clean the table" and was actually seen holding the sweater in one hand which was on top of the purse. No one else but her went near the booth at all. Pretty ballsy of her but not if she thought the purse didn't belong to us as she originally indicated.

The manager did nothing.

Stay away - money grubbing servers at work.

p.s. the lobster salad was quite tasty.

1  Thank Matt M
Reviewed August 18, 2012

the worst two hour wait for your food / and not that great to bad the old owners sold it....the service was so bad the waiter never came over to say he was sorry about the wait when we asked whats taking so long he said well were busy ....

Reviewed August 14, 2012

We went because we loved the old Lobster Inn and figured it couldn't be too different. WRONG.
Stay away. Utter crap.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

We've been going to the old Lobster Inn every summer on our annual Southampton visit. We missed some of the old features especially the old school salad bar that we reluctantly loved. It can get warm given the lack of AC but it was cool out and not uncomfortable. Service was sub par, and struggling to get the order right. We all agreed that the new menu has been upgraded and although we missed some of our old favorites we loved the tuna tartare.