“An unforgettable trip”
Review of 1708 House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Southampton
1708 House
Ranked #2 of 5 Southampton B&B and Inns
Riverdale, New Jersey
“An unforgettable trip”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I had an amazing experience with the 1708 house over memorial day weekend. My boyfriend and I came here to celebrate my birthday...and also for a suprise proposal! He was in touch with the innkeepers/managers for weeks before the big day. They were extremely helpful in assisting with making our room romantic and magical! Th staff went out of their way to decorate our room with flowers/candles/strawberries and champagne. It was an amazing weekend. We will definitely be coming back here!

Room Tip: we stayed in room 3 and it was perfect! super comfy king sized bed
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Westhampton Beach, New York, United States
Reviewed January 14, 2013

The staff was very accommodating, excellent ambiance and service. We spent a week and were the only ones there; the price was excellent ($140/day); great food for breakfast and plenty wine, cookies, coffee, tea after 3 pm. Thank you Linda, John and Skip for making our stay an wonderful experience.Looking forward to go back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
sydney
Reviewed November 11, 2012

1708 House Is a charming old historic B&B, in a wonderful location in Southampton. The building has been wonderfully restored, and the wine Cellar shows off the original old foundations. Our room was very clean and comfortable.
We arrived on a Sunday evening in mid September, and there was a buffet with Tea, coffee and small cakes and chocolates available for the guests.
The first contact with any staff [a nod] was received the next morning at breakfast. We sat and had breakfast from the buffet set up where the tea and coffee had been the previous evening. We helped ourselves, and at no time were we engaged by the staff, who were busy talking in the kitchen.
The next afternoon, the tea and cakes were set up, and we were advised by one staff member that if anything ran out, "just help yourself in the kitchen".

The next morning was a repeat of the previous one, and I remarked to my wife " Am I wearing the Do Not Disturb" sign on my forehead?

I had decided to not post a review, as we were completely unimpressed. [We had spent the previous 4 weeks in numerous small hotels and B&B's and never encountered such disinterest from the owners]. I have posted reviews on many of those fine B&B's that we had stayed in.

I was prompted to post, as there was a post with similar instance where there was 'No bacon". Well we never had eggs. Nobody came and said that there was a hot breakfast. All we could hear was a noise of people having a long chat in the kitchen.

1708 is a lovely and charming B&B with so much character, only let down by inconsiderate and disinterested staff. The only verbal contact was made when the account was settled.

Basil Fawlty would have been proud of your efforts !!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
LindaE0723, Manager at 1708 House, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Many thanks for the positive comments and compliments. We are glad you appreciated the charm of one of Southampton Village’s oldest properties.

With respect to your displeasure with breakfast, I would like to share with other readers that we offer our many guests a sumptuous “serve yourself” cold buffet which lasts close to three hours; and, in addition, cooked eggs upon request. Guests are welcome to let a staff member know their desire for eggs. However, as a B&B and not a restaurant, we do not have waitstaff. Guests are invited to sit wherever they chose in our dining room and our staff is on hand to replenish food items and clear tables, as needed. As the reviewer mentioned, there is a complimentary daily afternoon tea service, also set up as a buffet. In addition, our refrigerator is stocked with complimentary soft drinks to which guests are welcome.

Our policy is that our staff be friendly but not too familiar, a fine line indeed. We are here to help, but also we respect the privacy of our many guests. As one can imagine, some guests are very social and seek out conversations, while others wish to keep to themselves. We pride ourselves on successfully differentiating between the two on most occasions, but perfection is not always possible.

And the reference to Fawlty Towers – the quintessential comedy about the foibles of everyday life in a B&B and a wonderful commentary on human nature – our favorite! To quote the Fawlty website, “Fawlty runs a hotel amidst farcical situations and an array of demanding and eccentric guests”. If The Major were to be our guest, I would imagine he would say, “Well, done Mr. Fawlty”!
New Jersey
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed at 1708 House during the September 28-30, 2012 weekend. We had 3 couples and stayed here for a Long Island Wine Country weekend. While the weather wasn't as nice as we had hoped (rainy and cool most of the time), we had a great time. 1708 House was fantastic and even exceeded our expectations (which were very high). Given the high prices for the area, 1708 House was actually an excellent value for what you got for the price. Linda and John were terrific hosts. Starting with the breakfasts each morning (including made to order eggs) and then tea and cookies in the afternoon. All the furnishings throughout the house (main living areas as well as in the rooms) were beautiful. We stayed in Rooms 1, 4 and 8 and we were all very pleased with the rooms and the attached private bathrooms. The beautiful "cellar" was great at night for playing Canasta. 1708 House is also located within the nice town of Southampton, so we were able to walk to the restaurants we ate at each evening.

I cannot say enough about beautiful 1708 House and the hospitality of Linda and John. We definitely look forward to staying there again when we are visiting the area in the future.

I hope this is helpful.

Dennis S.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Have stayed at many B&Bs, but this is one of the very best.... It just has great Karma...the people who run it are really nice and you immediately feel like you're in a friend's house. The place is lovely with just the perfect amount of updating to make the place warm and cozy on a brisk Fall evening, but it still retains all the beautiful rustic appeal that makes the place so special. The bed was super comfy and had a lovely view of Southampton borough.

Breakfast was super and the dining room was beautifully appointed with china and linens. The intimate dining room looked out through french doors onto the patio area which we took advantage of in the afternoon with a glass of wine. We loved being so perfectly situated to take advantage of walking to town and an easy drive to the many terrific farm markets and restaurants. Would highly recommend a stay here.

Room Tip: If you have children, ask for one of the suites which is perfect for families
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Southampton, New York
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I stayed at the inn the night of Hurricane Sandy as I lost power at my house. The inn had power and the best breakfast! I loved the luxurious bed with the incredible sheets. The room and bath were immaculate and well stocked - even with toothbrushes and colgate toothpaste. The furnishings were perfect to create a sense of country opulence that was comfortable and not overly imposing.

The other guests I met where charming and civilized. One family was from Sweden and another family was from England. Linda did everything she could to make my stay comfortable. Skip is an amazing depository of history and I felt like i was in his home, he made me feel so welcome! I bought my dinner at La Parmagiana and ate it in the kitchen listening to Skip - a wonderful way to spend an evening during a terrible storm!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 5 which had a very good queen sized bed and a tub and good closet and dresser space...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank judyk10008
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We took advantage of an online special and stayed one night midweek. Wonderful! Ask for room #3 as it has beautiful wood beams, yet there is great light in the room. There are charming appointments. There is a feeling of history and everything is in perfect shape and is well taken care of. Shiny wood floors, Oriental carpets and nice antiques! A full breakfast comes with the room-eggs,toast, fruit, yogurt, tea and coffee. Yum! There is wine and cheese available in the evening. Walk just 1/2 block and you are in the village. The beach is a short drive away. I was traveling with my adult daughter and we had a great time. This place would also be perfect for a couple wanting a quiet getaway. I am in the hospitality industry and I am really picky and I was pleased to see that they pay attention to detail. Lovely!

Room Tip: Room 3. Top floor has more wood and historic charm!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southampton
Southampton Inn
#1 of 5 in Sag Harbor
A Butler's Manor
A Butler's Manor
#1 of 5 in Southampton

Been to 1708 House? Share your experiences!