“Great location, terrible motel”

Jamesport Bay Suites
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in South Jamesport
New York, NY
“Great location, terrible motel”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

This is a motel. It smells like stale smoke (someone has smoked in that room before - or it could be just the smell of the office / manager's apartment- she's a major smoker). The mattresses are very uncomfortable. The rooms are just plain old shabby (not chic). It needs a major overhaul - kitchen, bath, everything.

Location, however, is terrific. It has a beautiful beach and view of the Bay and is close to wineries, restaurants.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank LynBaran

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Central Islip, New York
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Before anything else, anyone planning on staying here needs to know that many of these units are co-ops. What that means is, you are staying in someone else's run down quarters with outdated furniture, appliances, etc.. You will feel as if you stepped back into the 70's and believe me the bed mattress felt as if it was that old! The floors are all tile and sandy from past guests. If you need to use a blow dryer on your hair, you must turn off the AC unit first or the circuit will overload and trip the breaker. I am not making this stuff up! This is not only an inconvenience but a serious safety code violation. I brought this up with Wendy at the office prior to departing but she didn't feel this was a big issue. To sum up, this place was probably very nice 20 years ago but the owners have elected not to update or renovate their property for whatever reason. For $235 a night I have come to expect a little more than a nice view with a small beachfront.

Room Tip: Ask if your room is a co-op
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SJKK77

Travelers are raving about these South Jamesport hotels

Huntington, New York
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I hesitate to write this review, because now that I've experienced it, I don't want to share this special place with anyone. A freind of my recommended this place to us, so I'm going to pay it forward. We went this past weekend with our 5-year old son. In summary, my son cried, real tears, when it was time to go. I didn't want to go either. This place is not luxurious. This is no 4 star hotel. But, it is not a dive. It is clean. The woman at the front desk was very nice. The other guests at the hotel were very, very nice.

The apartment we stayed in was great. It had two bedrooms and two bathrooms (with bathtubs), an full eat-in kitchen (complete with pots and pans, cutlery and dishes, microwave, full-sized fridge, and a toaster), a living room with two big couches and a huge flat screen tv, and a fabulous, fabulous deck. Not a tiny balcony, a big, family-sized deck. The view was amazing from morning until night. I only have one complaint and that is that the bed in the master was uncomfortable. It was hard. But, I just made a mental note to pack some things that will easily alleviate that on the next trip.

The Peconic Bay is perfection for young people and/or non-smimmers (when the tide is low). You could go out for yards and yards and still be only waist deep in the water. We will be back again and again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Suzanne746
Venice, Florida
Reviewed August 23, 2012

This is a 2 Star property with a 5 Star location. Located right on the Great Peconic Bay on the North Shore of eastern Long Island. New bathrooms, but beds & appliances in the suites needed to be replaced. A place out of the 50's/60's. Rooms are swept with a broom & not vacuumed. Definitely paying for the water view & swimming & not the facilities. Close to wineries, breweries, the Long Island Sound & the ocean.

Room Tip: The bigger suite which cost about $20 more has about twice as much floor space.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Marty B
New York
Reviewed October 17, 2011

We were invited to go to the many wineries on the North Shore with friends who said they stay at Motel on the Bay. We decided to meet them there. We were lucky enough to have warm sunny days this week-end in October. When my husband and I arrived we decided to upgrade our room to Room #10. We were impressed with this room because of the balcony steps away from the Peconic. During our stay we so enjoyed having meals on the balcony with our friends, while taking in the amazing views of the Peconic. You are literally steps away from the Peconic Bay. Our room had an eat in kitchen/ Living room and a separate bedroom, so accomodations were comfortable.The room is outdated but most important it was clean. This place wasn't anything like that filthy timeshare in Cocoa Beach Florida, which I previously reviewed. The staff is very accomodating and friendly.The grounds this motel is on are impeccably kept.This is not the Ritz, as there is nothing fancy about it. However, I could live with out the luxury and be happy in love with this Motel on the Bay! I look forward to returning next season with my husband for another great friends get away.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank trublue09
Reviewed September 8, 2011

July14 could not come quick enough for me this year! I was going "home" to my vacation paradise. This would be my third time in one year. All I can say is that I have found the North Fork's little secret. The moment you walk on the lush green quad, you know this place is special. It is the ideal family vacation spot. Children and adults play an assortment of games on the quad all with a beautiful view of the bay. And it seems that the regulars that come, show up at the same time each year so it is as if the guests are extended family. What a feeling! There's always a s'mores night where we all gather and they always taste the best there. Maybe it's the sea air.
The staff is very welcoming. I will enter the office and they will say my name before I even open my mouth. They are very accommodating. Last year, my stove did not work very well. This year I had a brand new stove in my unit. Housekeeping? They go beyond. Anything I need, they will get for me. They have lovingly nicknamed my family as the "snowman" people because we bring a stuffed snowman for one of the beds (long story). The room is old, but comfortable and clean and nothing beats the view. I always rent unit D. To me, it is the best room on the second floor. Just sitting on the porch, looking at the bay, gives reason enough. The showers are hot and have plenty of pressure. I had a brand new cot for my niece to sleep on. Thank God there was an air conditioner because we were there when the City hit 106 degrees. It didn't make the room cold but we were comfortable enough.
The beach is perfect if you have young children. The sandy part is on top of the bulkhead. You can't run directly in the water. You must go down some steps to enter the bay. Make sure you know when it will be high and low tide. When it is low tide, the water is EXTREMELY shallow. When it is this low, the water is not refreshing and unfortunately you can get stung by pink jellyfish. However it never stop my family or me from entering the water. High tide is wonderful. The water was warm and the jellyfish were no where to be found. I even went night swimming and watching the orange moon rise from the water, it's breath-taking!
I spent almost two weeks there and I will absolutely return next July. Beware of splinters on the stairs and handrails. Their barbeques were new this year, but bring the Matchlight charcoal. As I said in a previous review of Motel on the Bay, this place is not for everyone. This a wonderful family vacation place. If you are looking for luxury, go somewhere else. Everyone, whether guests or staff, are friendly. I cannot say that the rates are inexpensive because they are not. However, if you were to price all the vacation places on the East End of Long Island, the rates are fair. I love coming here. I am comfortable here and that is most important to me. To the staff, thank you. The "snowman" people will be back in July!

• Stayed July 2011
4 Thank BunkieDi
San Diego, California
Reviewed August 1, 2011

My children and I were visiting family on Long island, and we enjoyed a wonderful stay at the Motel on the Bay in South Jamesport. The property is right on Peconic Bay and has a beautiful beach right outside the door. When you are traveling with children, it is so nice to be right on the beach. We had a full kitchen and were able to make breakfast and lunch. When we could drag ourselves away from the beach, we watched sunsets from the deck, shopped, and visited wineries with friends. Across the street from the motel in the Bayview Inn Restaurant. It is very convenient and the food is outstanding. They have a sunset special dinner which is a great deal. We will be back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Harborfront Inn at Greenport
Hilton Garden Inn Riverhead
Holiday Inn Express East End
Cliffside Resort Condominiums

Been to Jamesport Bay Suites? Share your experiences!