“I Came Back Home Again”

Jamesport Bay Suites
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in South Jamesport
“I Came Back Home Again”
Reviewed September 8, 2011

July14 could not come quick enough for me this year! I was going "home" to my vacation paradise. This would be my third time in one year. All I can say is that I have found the North Fork's little secret. The moment you walk on the lush green quad, you know this place is special. It is the ideal family vacation spot. Children and adults play an assortment of games on the quad all with a beautiful view of the bay. And it seems that the regulars that come, show up at the same time each year so it is as if the guests are extended family. What a feeling! There's always a s'mores night where we all gather and they always taste the best there. Maybe it's the sea air.
The staff is very welcoming. I will enter the office and they will say my name before I even open my mouth. They are very accommodating. Last year, my stove did not work very well. This year I had a brand new stove in my unit. Housekeeping? They go beyond. Anything I need, they will get for me. They have lovingly nicknamed my family as the "snowman" people because we bring a stuffed snowman for one of the beds (long story). The room is old, but comfortable and clean and nothing beats the view. I always rent unit D. To me, it is the best room on the second floor. Just sitting on the porch, looking at the bay, gives reason enough. The showers are hot and have plenty of pressure. I had a brand new cot for my niece to sleep on. Thank God there was an air conditioner because we were there when the City hit 106 degrees. It didn't make the room cold but we were comfortable enough.
The beach is perfect if you have young children. The sandy part is on top of the bulkhead. You can't run directly in the water. You must go down some steps to enter the bay. Make sure you know when it will be high and low tide. When it is low tide, the water is EXTREMELY shallow. When it is this low, the water is not refreshing and unfortunately you can get stung by pink jellyfish. However it never stop my family or me from entering the water. High tide is wonderful. The water was warm and the jellyfish were no where to be found. I even went night swimming and watching the orange moon rise from the water, it's breath-taking!
I spent almost two weeks there and I will absolutely return next July. Beware of splinters on the stairs and handrails. Their barbeques were new this year, but bring the Matchlight charcoal. As I said in a previous review of Motel on the Bay, this place is not for everyone. This a wonderful family vacation place. If you are looking for luxury, go somewhere else. Everyone, whether guests or staff, are friendly. I cannot say that the rates are inexpensive because they are not. However, if you were to price all the vacation places on the East End of Long Island, the rates are fair. I love coming here. I am comfortable here and that is most important to me. To the staff, thank you. The "snowman" people will be back in July!

• Stayed July 2011
4 Thank BunkieDi

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
San Diego, California
Reviewed August 1, 2011

My children and I were visiting family on Long island, and we enjoyed a wonderful stay at the Motel on the Bay in South Jamesport. The property is right on Peconic Bay and has a beautiful beach right outside the door. When you are traveling with children, it is so nice to be right on the beach. We had a full kitchen and were able to make breakfast and lunch. When we could drag ourselves away from the beach, we watched sunsets from the deck, shopped, and visited wineries with friends. Across the street from the motel in the Bayview Inn Restaurant. It is very convenient and the food is outstanding. They have a sunset special dinner which is a great deal. We will be back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank luvLI
Reviewed September 15, 2010

I first came here in July with my family of 4. I rented Suite D. Even before I opened the door, I stood on the balcony admiring the breath taking view. The room was very clean and the rooms spacious. The beds were comfortable, the couch, not so much. Our stove only had two working burners which made cooking dinner difficult. But we made due and the staff was very helpful and friendly. But Motel on the Bay is not about the decor. If you want a resort, then don't come here. This place is about family and the beach! There is a large grass quad for children to run around and have fun. The beach has soft sand with the bay below it. This provides a safe play area so that kids can't get swept away by the waves. There are plenty of lounge chairs too. It just is so beautiful there. I was only supposed to stay a week, but I didn't want to leave so I added two more days to my trip. When I finally left, I immediately booked a long weekend in September. I just left today and I'm happy to say that you can go back again. I rented the same suite. The couch and stove still had their issues, but it didn't matter. When I am here I feel welcome, as if I belong here. I found my little piece of heaven. You have to experience it. This is not about luxury. The rates are fair but we all would like lower prices. But if you want a friendly, comfortable, family oriented vacation place, then Motel on the Bay is for you! It's a shame summer is over. I have to wait until next July to come "home" again. To the staff, thank you! I will be back!

• Stayed September 2010
2 Thank BunkieDi
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 28, 2010

Would not recommend. The grounds and location are lovely but nothing else is good. The place is dilapidated and needs a massive infusion of dollars to make it comfortable. Our bed mattress sagged and was only an inch or 2 off the ground. The hide-a-bed couch was so broken down it came to a "V" in the middle and actually touched the ground. The radiator in the bathroom was covered with rust and the air conditioner vents were caked with dust. The only amenities were 3 tiny bars of soap in the bathroom - no hair dryer, no shampoo. The draw pull on one drawer was broken and hanging. Circuit breaker blew when air conditioner and hair dryer (my own) were used at the same time. The TV remote didn't work. If we hadn't been there for a family event, I would have asked for my money back as soon as I saw the room. Roof in desperate need of repair. I'd be afraid to eat there. Next time I'll use www.vrbo.com (vacation rental by owner).

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank set112246
Westchester
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Decided to take a weekend away on the North Shore. Had eaten in the Bayview Restaurant before and had a positive experience, so decided to give the motel a try...mainly due to the proximity to the beach.
There were no rooms available in the motel or at the Inn/house, so we were placed in a one of their two "cottages". We would not describe the accomodations as a cottage. It appeard to be two room, one-bedroom unit (that could connect to the other cottage via a locked door) that was constructed from what we believe may have previously been a garage. The units are literally located in the parking lot of the restaurant/inn (off to the side). The view from our windows were the parking lot on one side and a driveway with a parked car on the other. There was no outdoor space to use or enjoy and the unite lacked privacy. So,we were disappointed with the physical location of the room, but will say that it was just across the street from the beach, so that was very convenient. The room itself was a two room unit consisting of a livingroom/kitchen combo and a bedroom. It wasn't horrible and was clean enough overall (although not spotless), and we believe it could potentially be much more pleasant with just a few changes. The only television in the unit was located in the livingroom area, and it was a smallish, older, tube style set. There was no tv in the bedroom at all, although the room appeared to be cable ready. The furniture wasn't awful, but left a a lot to be desired...the pieces had seen better days and some were mis-matched. If you're looking for a standard motel room set up to crash for a night or two in order to be near the beach, then the set up will be fine for you. If you're looking for anything a little more charming, you may be disappointed. We personally decided not to spend the night in the room, since it wasn't for us, but we did enjoy the private beach (which was well cared for) and found everyone from the staff to fellow guests to be friendly and pleasant. In fairness, it is just what it calls itself - a beach motel...and maybe some of the other water front rooms would provide a better experience...we can only provide our opinion on the room which we were given.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank svan1
New York
Reviewed July 21, 2010

We stayed at Motel on the Bay during the week after July 4th and were surprised how empty the place was. This was our 3rd trip to the motel and we find it to be a fine place to stay. Yes, it does need updating in some places, like a new AC and refrigerator, but the rooms are large and the beach is right there. As long as you are not looking for something lavish, we would highly recommend this motel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Arubalover60
Mastic, New York
Reviewed June 15, 2010

Wow what a wonderful little place. My wife and I were driving around lost. We ran into this cozy little place. No it's not the Taj Mahal, it's just a nice little quiet place with an outstanding sun rise over the bay. We had a wonderful time and we now expect to make this place a regular home away from home.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Jamesport
Cove Place
Cove Place
#1 of 1 in Aquebogue

Been to Jamesport Bay Suites? Share your experiences!