“Just As I Remembered”

Cuisines: American, Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Went to Massie's for the first time in many years with my husband and two children. It was exactly as I remembered...in fact, don't know why we haven't been there in so long. Yes, agreed with others that decor, etc. is extremely outdated. However, having spent many a vacation in the Lake George area and had terrible overpriced food, this is by far the most bang for the buck. We still enjoy the salad, soup and homemade garlic bread and liver pate that is served before each meal. In fact, we are almost too full to enjoy our meals after that! The baked ziti with sausage sauce is wonderful. We all enjoyed our meals immensely and was even happier with the check! Went to a few other places this trip that we also enjoyed, but, the check was also much higher as well. If you want really good Italian and don't want to feel ripped off while on vacation up in the Lake George area, go to Massies!

Reviewed September 6, 2012

An old restaurant that makes you feel like your in an old movie. Great friendly service with great Italian food. Put it on your bucket list!

Reviewed July 25, 2012

We got off the Northway to come here based on the reviews. We won't be doing that again. The service is very friendly and efficient, and it's fun to go somewhere that still serves a tray of crackers and a crock of Wispride as bar snacks, but that's about it for positives. The first thing we noticed is that, to put it nicely, the restaurant smelled like it had a drain vent problem. The second thing we noticed is that this is the worst Italian food we've had in a long time. Olive Garden beats this place by a healthy margin. The portions are big, but the bad news is that the portions are big. Sorry, I know I'm an out of towner and this place is an institution, but it isn't just resting on its reputation, it's hanging by one fingernail.

5  Thank Incisive_Idiot
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Giving my age away, I have 55 years of memories for this restaurant, though Massie's has been in business much longer than that.

Located in South Glens Falls, just across the bridge over the cave made famous by James Fenimore Cooper [a factoid which has been on their placemats since I have been old enough to read], it's a neighborhood restaurant which has expanded significantly over the years. I mention that because you can separate the clientele - the newly arrived who head for the dining room, or the old time customers who head for a small dining area located behind the tap room [one notable item: the waitstaff in the small dining area has always been, and continues to be, a solely male staff, a tradition from the old style Italian-American clubs which the Massie family continues to this day]..

Massie's is old time American-Italian food, done well. Don't expect the gourmet level dishes you find at more extravagant restaurants. Do expect very well prepared homestyle Italian dishes. I recommend asking for their homemade spaghetti noodles and other homemade pastas, as they are much superior to anything you can purchase. Kids love their spaghetti and meatballs, as the meatballs are the size of small round meatloaves. The white clam sauce on homemade spaghetti is excellent, with an extravagance of chapped clams in just the right amount of olive oil, garlic, and herbs. These are just a couple of the menu items, and in all my visits I have yet to find a meal I didn't enjoy.

If you like such an appetizer, and it's available, my favorite is an unusual item for an Italian restaurant, a chopped chicken liver pate served up with fresh hot Italian garlic bread rounds [after all, it is an Italian restaurant]. Absolutely delicious!

My parents brought me here, and taught me to return. I passed it along to my children, who are in turn passing it along to their children. What more recommendation can you make?

1  Thank ElJayinVT
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Massie's. What a surprise! A friend brought me here for my birthday recently. Your first impression when you walk in the door is death; my wife and I were the youngest people in the restaurant by a good 40 years, the décor is about the same age as the clientele too. My friend (who is older) picked this restaurant to eat at and I am glad he did in the end. Massie's is definitely old school, how many restaurants offer family dining and ala carte dining rooms these days? My friend told me family dining was the way to go. The entrée's are mid priced $14-23. But you get a lot of food for the money. The entire table get's a relish plate, liver Pâté, and a HUGE basket of garlic bread which just happened to be some of the best garlic bread I have ever had. Everyone who orders an entrée also get's salad and soup. Meal serving sizes are large as well. I had the Veal Parm and it was excellent. It came with a large side bowl of pasta; the sauce was good, not great but good. My wife and friend had steak and fish both looked excellent as well. Service was above average the entire night. Obviously none of us had room to try dessert.

All in all Massie's is a really good choice for the North Country. Most people up here think Olive Garden is wonderful. Take it from an Italian that loves dining at Vincent's and Angelo's in NYC. Massie's is NOT Vincent's or Angelo's but it is a hell of a lot better than Olive Garden. I would say this place is slightly better than Sweet Basil in Queensbury, and the family dining option is a bargain for what you get.