“A long time family choice”
Review of Massie's

Massie's
Cuisines: American, Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Giving my age away, I have 55 years of memories for this restaurant, though Massie's has been in business much longer than that.

Located in South Glens Falls, just across the bridge over the cave made famous by James Fenimore Cooper [a factoid which has been on their placemats since I have been old enough to read], it's a neighborhood restaurant which has expanded significantly over the years. I mention that because you can separate the clientele - the newly arrived who head for the dining room, or the old time customers who head for a small dining area located behind the tap room [one notable item: the waitstaff in the small dining area has always been, and continues to be, a solely male staff, a tradition from the old style Italian-American clubs which the Massie family continues to this day]..

Massie's is old time American-Italian food, done well. Don't expect the gourmet level dishes you find at more extravagant restaurants. Do expect very well prepared homestyle Italian dishes. I recommend asking for their homemade spaghetti noodles and other homemade pastas, as they are much superior to anything you can purchase. Kids love their spaghetti and meatballs, as the meatballs are the size of small round meatloaves. The white clam sauce on homemade spaghetti is excellent, with an extravagance of chapped clams in just the right amount of olive oil, garlic, and herbs. These are just a couple of the menu items, and in all my visits I have yet to find a meal I didn't enjoy.

If you like such an appetizer, and it's available, my favorite is an unusual item for an Italian restaurant, a chopped chicken liver pate served up with fresh hot Italian garlic bread rounds [after all, it is an Italian restaurant]. Absolutely delicious!

My parents brought me here, and taught me to return. I passed it along to my children, who are in turn passing it along to their children. What more recommendation can you make?

1  Thank ElJayinVT

Reviewed April 23, 2012

Massie's. What a surprise! A friend brought me here for my birthday recently. Your first impression when you walk in the door is death; my wife and I were the youngest people in the restaurant by a good 40 years, the décor is about the same age as the clientele too. My friend (who is older) picked this restaurant to eat at and I am glad he did in the end. Massie's is definitely old school, how many restaurants offer family dining and ala carte dining rooms these days? My friend told me family dining was the way to go. The entrée's are mid priced $14-23. But you get a lot of food for the money. The entire table get's a relish plate, liver Pâté, and a HUGE basket of garlic bread which just happened to be some of the best garlic bread I have ever had. Everyone who orders an entrée also get's salad and soup. Meal serving sizes are large as well. I had the Veal Parm and it was excellent. It came with a large side bowl of pasta; the sauce was good, not great but good. My wife and friend had steak and fish both looked excellent as well. Service was above average the entire night. Obviously none of us had room to try dessert.

All in all Massie's is a really good choice for the North Country. Most people up here think Olive Garden is wonderful. Take it from an Italian that loves dining at Vincent's and Angelo's in NYC. Massie's is NOT Vincent's or Angelo's but it is a hell of a lot better than Olive Garden. I would say this place is slightly better than Sweet Basil in Queensbury, and the family dining option is a bargain for what you get.

Reviewed March 29, 2012

Was told that the restaurant had slipped. Went recently and found basically nothing had changed. Good service, Good value, huge portions.

Reviewed March 13, 2012

Massie's has been ran and owned by the Massie family for decades. The food is beyond amazing, the portions are so huge you will have to kindly ask for a few take out dishes. Prices are very reasonable for such large portions. The main dining room is lovely though a bit dated. Fancy cloth napkins and pretty lighting set the mood for Amore, and soon you will find yourself having a love affair with their food! For a family with young ones who are afraid of breaking glasses and fancy tables, sit in the bar area at comfy booths or the back room just behind the bar. The decor desperately needs a makeover, hint to Robert Irvine or Chef Ramsey, but the food makes it all worth it. They make everything there by scratch, the red "gravy" is mild and not at all greasy or too acidic. Their garlic bread is unlike any other, and will make you never again wish for Olive Garden's silly bread sticks. They give you a free relish tray with several fresh veggies to snack on, as well as warm crusty bread, pate spread and whipped butter for the bread, and the garlic bread as well. Every entree also comes with a salad that is always crisp and fresh. With so many freebies, how can they afford to serve such large portions? I don't know, but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth and ask why. Just enjoy!

Reviewed February 25, 2012

Massie's is still one of my favorite restaurants in the entire Capital District. The expansion of chain restaurants only makes this place better because at Massie's you're sure to be seated right away in a quiet ambience as the trail of fools lines up at the chain restaurants.
This place is traditional Italian food and you will get two meals out of it as there is too much to eat for one person.

1  Thank Jim T