“Disgusting,smelly& super Creepy!!!”

Americas Best Value Inn, Smithtown
Americas Best Value Inn, Smithtown
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Smithtown
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I stayed here f0r 2 nights out 0f desperation, and from the beginning the manager was very weird, and said barley anything...s0 i get t0 the r00m and it smells as s0me0ne just died in there... it stunk horribly, by the night stand the fl00r was s0aked which I had n0 idea why. The TV went 0n and off, and we tried changing the cable by hand and it strangely w0uldnt work. Me and my friends had an uneasy, eery feeling in this place. During the night there was a constant tapping noise and I heard a l0t 0f strange noises frm outside, including the service cart. strange. Then the frame above the bed fell 0ut 0f n0where. idk why but this place is n0t only nasty but real creepy...never ever again!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Sky E
abvismithtown, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, Smithtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

We are terribly sorry that you were not happy with your stay, but we are on premises 24 hours a day and wished you would've called us when you first noticed the odor in your room. We would never have expected you to stay there if it was not to your satisfaction. We would've also checked the tv for you as all of our televisions are in operating condition, so it could've been a loosened wire. We cannot tell you what the "tapping noises" were during the night, but we can tell you that we do not have service carts in the evening. Our housekeeping leaves at 2pm. Once again, we are sorry that this is the first we heard of these complaints...we would have been very happy to place you in a room that was more comfortable for you. We are undergoing some renovations to our property and do hope that you will come back and see us again.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Me and my fiancé were traveling home when the big blizzard just hit we had no choice but to stop and stay here for THREE nights. The room is absolutely disgusting. Burn holes in all bedding. We checked out after one night to come back later and find that they NEVER EVEN STRIPPED ANY BEDDING! It was the SAME from the night before. I knew this bc I had spilled a small amount of jelly on the bed which was still there. On the pillows I found my own hair still on it. WHAT IF WE DIDNT GO BACK? Someone else would have had dirty sheets with jelly and hair over everything. The lack of customer service is ridiculous. When asking the front desk to speak to a manager, we were denied several times. We called after our last day there to finally speak to a manger when he starts SCREAMING at my fiancé. Online on their website it says there is a "winter special" stay two consecutive nights get 20% off next night. When showing the front desk their OWN website they said no no no only for member. Which is not true according to the disclaimer located directly below it. Overall I wouldn't recommend this filth to a cockroach. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank Jmerf

We are sorry you were not happy with your stay here, and wished you would've pointed out the sheets with burns holes, as we have our sheets laundered off premises and all of our sheets are quality, clean and pressed. we also take pride in our housekeeping and always change our bedding when the rooms are turned over. All bedding is changed as are towels. The manager is not always on the premises and cannot always be available, but the front desk has clear communication with him. If you were denied the "two nights, one free" discount, it was because you had checked out and left the property and then came back again. Our front desk person assumed this was not consecutive and did not know that we should've given you the discount despite the fact that it was not under the one-time reservation. For that we apologize. We are undergoing a renovation to the property as of this month which includes flat screen TV, new wallpaper and carpeting and hope you will come to visit with us again.

Reviewed March 12, 2012

OK: just in case this is a dealbreaker, you should know that this hotel is located so deeply into Smithtown that it's really Nesconset, despite the zip code. That's a minor quibble in the long run, so it's FYI.

I was visiting family in West Babylon and this hotel's proximity to major highways made it a very convenient location if you're visiting anyone within about a 15-mile radius. As someone else here noted, it's not an especially fancy place. Beds are comfortable, bathroom was clean, rooms have a little wiggle room in them (they're not as cramped as some places I've been), and most of the basic hotel amenities are in place (e.g. fridge, microwave, hair dryer and coffee maker). My contact with the staff was minimal but they were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was the usual Continental deal although they did have a waffle-maker on hand as well. The picture on the TV was clear and there's a pretty good range of channels available.

Given the cost of most hotels on Long Island, this was a very good value and the next time I visit, this will likely be my first choice.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Claude C
abvismithtown, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, Smithtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a positive review for us! We are a high quality budget hotel and take pride in our property. We are situated halfway between Nesconset and Smithtown and you can get to Port Jefferson Ferry in about 10 minutes. We think this is a great location for all. We are happy that you appreciate our new mattresses and room amenities...we try very hard to accommodate everyone. Thanks again for your kind words and look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed February 20, 2012

If it hadn't been so late at night & I didn't know how far I still had to travel, and didn't know where I was - I wouldn't ever have stayed the night! I can't imagine giving this place as good a rating as "terrible". The saying "you get what you pay for" shouldn't even apply here - because you don't!! The room had ROACHES!!! There is a mini-frige & a microwave in each room, & when I opened the fridge a few roaches crawled out!! I left the lights on all night, just in case. Walls are paper thin, TV's on both rooms next to mine were on & I heard both of them & the conversations the neighbors were having. Bed is so hard I couldn't sleep in it anyway. (what's the point of staying here?)
I do have to admit the top sheet was very soft, the bottom sheet could have probably been soft, too, if not for the bunched up padding underneath it! Carpeting totally stained. Bed spread stained & had holes in it. Heating / AC unit was disgustingly dirty, and noisy. Bathroom... tried not to use it unless absolutely necessary. Walls were stained through the room. Outside windows in other rooms were broken. Basically it looked like it belonged in a slum & should be commended.
If you can avoid it - absolutely do so!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank iykhandi

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are sincerely sorry that you did not enjoy your stay, there is no excuse for an unpleasant travelling experience. We are proud of our new firm mattresses and we are sorry you thought they were too firm.. We find most guests would rather firmness than too soft. Thank you for noticing the soft sheets, we make sure to use high quality sheeting. All of our bedspreads are brand new. They were replaced in January 2012. We had housekeeping wash your bedspread to remove any stain that we migh not have seen. We have a strict policy of cleaning the air conditioning/heating units and filters. We also sent housekeeping to reclean the unit. We did have some crayon marks on the walls and we had trouble removing them, but we are researching how to get rid of them without destroying the wallpaper. The outside broken windows were due to a small fire in the bathroom and they have all been replaced. As far as the roach that you saw, we did find one in the bathroom which we think was coming from the drain. We have had the exterminator in and so far we have not had any more reports. We do regret that you did not accept another room when we offered it to you, because we feel you would have had a better experience with us at ABVI. Again, please accept our apologies, and do hope you will try us again when you are in the area.

Reviewed August 14, 2011

There is nothing fancy about this Hotel, but it offers the best mattresses, spacious clean rooms, and a fantastic staff. I left feeling refreshed and ready for my day, which is hard to do anytime I travel. The only complaint I have is the room was non-smoking, but did have a smoking odor. I'm hoping they will work to take care of that, as I would stay here anytime I visit Stony Brook.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank cch125
abvismithtown, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, Smithtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2011

Dear Traveler,
Thank you for taking the time to share a review about our hotel. I am please to hear that you enjoyed our clean and spacious guestrooms. I sincerely apologize about the smoke odor you experienced during your stay. Please know that our staff has been trained so that this will not occur again in the future. We hope that you stay with us again or another one of our Americas Best Value Inns in the near future.

Kindest regards,
Raju-Manager
Americas Best Value Inn-Smithtown, NY

Reviewed August 3, 2010

I was to stay with this econo lodge and gave them a credit card number to book the room. This card belongs to my grandfather. They told me they require a third party authozation to be able to complete my reservation. My grandfather was uncomfortable signing something because he has heard stories about this econo lodge. I looked into this econo lodge and discovered some disturbing things like bed bug reports and rude staff. So i never called back with the authorozation. I saw my reservation as incomplete. I booked a stay at another econo lodge. The first comes around and they charged my grandfathers card $613 saying i never showed up. I called and spoke to the manager who was very rude and not understanding at all. He refused to understand that I never completed my reservation and that they had not authorozation to charge that card any money. So i called the corporate office of choice hotels. I spoke with a very nice woman but she also could not help me. I am giving the econo lodge brand over $1400 for 2 weeks and they are going to charge me a petty $87. I will not never in my life stay at another choice hotels brand and will continue to bad mouth them every where I go. I am still a paying customer who was mislead to believe my reservation was incomplete and charged money on a card that was never authorized for use. It is a shame that the owner of the ronkonkoma smith town will lose out on $700 for next weeks stay so the econo lodge in smithtown can make $87. Like I said PETTY!!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank cre8or4eva
Reviewed July 30, 2010

My grandmother took my family to New York for Christmas and my mom and dad wanted to stay in the Smithtown/Poquott/Port Jefferson area (I was born there). There were seven of us (age range of 13 to 82), so we got two rooms, and we stayed here for a total of about 5 days. The beds weren't bad - they weren't phenomenal, but they were tolerable. The wireless internet was a hassle but once we got it figured out it was ok. It was my impression (although I didn't have many dealings with them) that the staff didn't speak English very well. The breakfast was somewhat limited; they had some stale donuts and bagels but the highlight was the opportunity for hot, fresh waffles if you took the time to make them (I did; they were great). Go get some cereal (and definitely some fresh New York bagels) for variety; there's a minifridge and a microwave to have milk and hot cereals, and plan to eat out for lunch and dinner. If you wanna stay in the Smithtown area, this isn't the worst you could do.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank CaitT
Also consider these accommodations in or near Smithtown
Hampton Inn Long Island/Islandia
Hilton Garden Inn Stony Brook
Holiday Inn Express Hauppauge
Jake's 58 Hotel & Casino
Hampton Inn Long Island/Commack
Chalet Inn & Suites
Chalet Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Centerport

Been to Americas Best Value Inn, Smithtown? Share your experiences!