“You don't get what you pay for - it's even less!” 1 of 5 stars

Americas Best Value Inn, Smithtown
Americas Best Value Inn, Smithtown
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Smithtown
NY
“You don't get what you pay for - it's even less!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

If it hadn't been so late at night & I didn't know how far I still had to travel, and didn't know where I was - I wouldn't ever have stayed the night! I can't imagine giving this place as good a rating as "terrible". The saying "you get what you pay for" shouldn't even apply here - because you don't!! The room had ROACHES!!! There is a mini-frige & a microwave in each room, & when I opened the fridge a few roaches crawled out!! I left the lights on all night, just in case. Walls are paper thin, TV's on both rooms next to mine were on & I heard both of them & the conversations the neighbors were having. Bed is so hard I couldn't sleep in it anyway. (what's the point of staying here?)
I do have to admit the top sheet was very soft, the bottom sheet could have probably been soft, too, if not for the bunched up padding underneath it! Carpeting totally stained. Bed spread stained & had holes in it. Heating / AC unit was disgustingly dirty, and noisy. Bathroom... tried not to use it unless absolutely necessary. Walls were stained through the room. Outside windows in other rooms were broken. Basically it looked like it belonged in a slum & should be commended.
If you can avoid it - absolutely do so!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank iykhandi
abvismithtown, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, Smithtown, responded to this review, April 5, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are sincerely sorry that you did not enjoy your stay, there is no excuse for an unpleasant travelling experience. We are proud of our new firm mattresses and we are sorry you thought they were too firm.. We find most guests would rather firmness than too soft. Thank you for noticing the soft sheets, we make sure to use high quality sheeting. All of our bedspreads are brand new. They were replaced in January 2012. We had housekeeping wash your bedspread to remove any stain that we migh not have seen. We have a strict policy of cleaning the air conditioning/heating units and filters. We also sent housekeeping to reclean the unit. We did have some crayon marks on the walls and we had trouble removing them, but we are researching how to get rid of them without destroying the wallpaper. The outside broken windows were due to a small fire in the bathroom and they have all been replaced. As far as the roach that you saw, we did find one in the bathroom which we think was coming from the drain. We have had the exterminator in and so far we have not had any more reports. We do regret that you did not accept another room when we offered it to you, because we feel you would have had a better experience with us at ABVI. Again, please accept our apologies, and do hope you will try us again when you are in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Stephentown, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

There is nothing fancy about this Hotel, but it offers the best mattresses, spacious clean rooms, and a fantastic staff. I left feeling refreshed and ready for my day, which is hard to do anytime I travel. The only complaint I have is the room was non-smoking, but did have a smoking odor. I'm hoping they will work to take care of that, as I would stay here anytime I visit Stony Brook.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank cch125
abvismithtown, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, Smithtown, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
Dear Traveler,
Thank you for taking the time to share a review about our hotel. I am please to hear that you enjoyed our clean and spacious guestrooms. I sincerely apologize about the smoke odor you experienced during your stay. Please know that our staff has been trained so that this will not occur again in the future. We hope that you stay with us again or another one of our Americas Best Value Inns in the near future.

Kindest regards,
Raju-Manager
Americas Best Value Inn-Smithtown, NY
Centereach, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

I was to stay with this econo lodge and gave them a credit card number to book the room. This card belongs to my grandfather. They told me they require a third party authozation to be able to complete my reservation. My grandfather was uncomfortable signing something because he has heard stories about this econo lodge. I looked into this econo lodge and discovered some disturbing things like bed bug reports and rude staff. So i never called back with the authorozation. I saw my reservation as incomplete. I booked a stay at another econo lodge. The first comes around and they charged my grandfathers card $613 saying i never showed up. I called and spoke to the manager who was very rude and not understanding at all. He refused to understand that I never completed my reservation and that they had not authorozation to charge that card any money. So i called the corporate office of choice hotels. I spoke with a very nice woman but she also could not help me. I am giving the econo lodge brand over $1400 for 2 weeks and they are going to charge me a petty $87. I will not never in my life stay at another choice hotels brand and will continue to bad mouth them every where I go. I am still a paying customer who was mislead to believe my reservation was incomplete and charged money on a card that was never authorized for use. It is a shame that the owner of the ronkonkoma smith town will lose out on $700 for next weeks stay so the econo lodge in smithtown can make $87. Like I said PETTY!!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank cre8or4eva

Travelers are raving about these Smithtown hotels

Auburn, AL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

My grandmother took my family to New York for Christmas and my mom and dad wanted to stay in the Smithtown/Poquott/Port Jefferson area (I was born there). There were seven of us (age range of 13 to 82), so we got two rooms, and we stayed here for a total of about 5 days. The beds weren't bad - they weren't phenomenal, but they were tolerable. The wireless internet was a hassle but once we got it figured out it was ok. It was my impression (although I didn't have many dealings with them) that the staff didn't speak English very well. The breakfast was somewhat limited; they had some stale donuts and bagels but the highlight was the opportunity for hot, fresh waffles if you took the time to make them (I did; they were great). Go get some cereal (and definitely some fresh New York bagels) for variety; there's a minifridge and a microwave to have milk and hot cereals, and plan to eat out for lunch and dinner. If you wanna stay in the Smithtown area, this isn't the worst you could do.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2009

Hello fellow travelers...
Just wanted to let you know, you might be bringing home more than just dirty laundry... BED Bugs... or simply like in my case will be bitten awfully everywhere including your face, legs and hands...
I never came across bed bugs before so i did not know what it was when on the next day of staying there i started getting red blotches....
I went to the doctor the next day after coming back from my stay there and doctor told me it was Bed Bugs...
So please for your safety and peace of mind that you are not bringing home BED Bugs that is impossible to get rid of... stay away from that hotel...

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
8 Thank leo978
Nyc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2007

What an awful experience! We tried called the hotel to confirm our reservation and that we would be arriving late. The hotel did not answer the phone. We called the main Econo Lodge number and they confirmed our reservation for 2 adults and 3 children. Upon arrival they claimed they only had a reservation for 2 adults and tried to raise the price! We had requested a roll-a-way bed for one child which after much aggrivation they did locate and we brought it back to the room- problem was there was NOT enough floor space to open the roll-a-way bed.We took the mattress off the frame and put it on the floor- imagine our disgust in the morning to find DIRTY Men's underwear in the bed!!!!! The door to the bathroom was 1/4 inch too big so the door would not shut completely! The outside of the hotel smelled like sewage in the morning! What an awful hotel.NEVER AGAIN!!

• Liked — NOTHING
  • Disliked — Dirty Men's underwear in bed! Disgusting
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
      Check in / front desk
6 Thank Pat_and_Mike_6
ny
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2005

we didn't like econolodge in smithtown... asking the clerk for ice, or the cheap continental breakfast or the broken bathtub, lack of towels, and overall bad aura.. made my trip a miserable experience.. it was not worth 180 dollars for 2 nights of torture..

13 Thank allforme
Also consider these accommodations in or near Smithtown
Islandia Marriott Long Island
Hyatt Regency Long Island
#1 of 4 in Hauppauge
4.0 of 5 stars 498 reviews
Hampton Inn Long Island/Commack

Been to Americas Best Value Inn, Smithtown? Share your experiences!