“Disappointed and won't go back. :(”

Cafe Havana Bar & Grill
Ranked #6 of 106 Restaurants in Smithtown
Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Ledgewood Dr.
Description: Fine Cuban cuisine
Reviewed January 7, 2014

My friend and I went here for the New Year's Eve 2013/2014 dinner and lounge event. Our evening started off wonderfully. The hostesses and wait staff were excellent. The prix fixe dinner for the evening included four courses (salad, appetizer, main course and dessert), two drinks and entry into the party in the lounge for $80. The four courses were delicious, as well as the red sangria!!!! So you question why I was disappointed and won't go back?! Being that it was New Years Eve and we wanted to relax and drink responsibly, we took the train to Smithtown and then a taxi to the restaurant. So, at the end of the evening, we called the taxi company. They told us a half hour. No problem, we sat at the bar and waited. 45 minutes later, no taxi. We called the taxi company again, as well as one of the hostesses, and they told us an hour and a half. About 2 hours later, still no taxi. You're thinking, what does this have to do with the restaurant? After much discussion of our situation with several of the restaurant staff not one of their employees, or owners (that were supposedly no where on site) offered us a ride to the train station that was 10 minutes away. I apologize, my mistake, we did meet two of the six owners of this establishment. One of them snuck out the front door quickly when he heard we were looking for an owner and the other one said "Happy New Year" as she stepped into her car to leave. We were even willing to pay for someone to take us there. We requested countless times for the owners name, and we were denied the information, or we were told that "we don't know the owners name". There is much more to the story but it's just too much drama. I am truly disappointed in Cafe Havana as I have been to the establishment on many occasions in the past. I certainly won't be going back because they truly do not care about their customers.

2  Thank NOFOWineLady

Reviewed November 3, 2013

the food quality is always good here, and the atmosphere is nice, and the variety on the menu is interesting. I think the prices are a bit high but they always do a good job.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Wife and I enjoyed our meals and sangria very much. Waitress was very friendly and provided good service. Only issue was that we had a restaurant coupon which we were told they didn't except on a Saturday night. Didn't say that anywhere on the coupon. Manager did the right thing by honoring it anyway.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

After researching different dining options, we thought we'd check out Cafe Havana. There was a discounted coupon on Restaurant.com which made the choice even easier. Driving up, it was very easy to spot with lighted fake palm trees outside - which I thought was cute. Certainly a way to draw attention to the place. We had a reservation and were seated immediately. It was 7pm on a Saturday but it wasn't really busy yet. The ambiance was perfect, soft lighting, nut not so much that you couldn't see the menu (I HATE that). Minimal yet tasteful decorations. No photos of RIcky Riccardo thank goodness! Music was a bit too low at times and thankfully no cheesy Babaloo stuff.

Our waitress was very friendly and extremely helpful. She suggested a drink that she describes as tasting like a piña colada and red sangria. We took her suggestions. The coconut milk drink was very good, laced with cinnamon, but the glass was filled with ice and there was too little of the drink. Sangria was very well done, with bits of fruit in it. My biggest issue with the drinks was the price: $10 for the coconut drink and $8 for a small glass of sangria.

Dinner began with very tasty bread and a mango butter spread. I ordered skirt steak and garlic shrimp combo with sweet plantains. It came with a garnish of julienned veggies. Presentation was very artful. Steak has a good flavor but was chewier than I expected for marinated steak. The shrimp was good but not as garlicky as I would have liked. I can't complain about the dish but I wouldn't order it again.

DH had chicken stuffed with veggies and mozzarella with tostones, which he really enjoyed. I had a taste and thought it was very good. For dessert we chose banana fritters with chocolate sauce and ice cream. Again, they were good, but not float in the air, text all your friends and marry the dessert good. Being a dessert maniac, there have been desserts I would marry in a heartbeat (sorry darling husband - but how can any man compete with a melt in your mouth, tickle your tastebuds dish of sweet heaven).

Service was impeccable. Our water glasses were never even half empty, and our waitress checked back often enough to make sure we were happy but not so much to be intrusive.

My major issue was the noise level. Once the room started filling up, the resonance of the conversations was so loud it made the last part of our meal uncomfortable. The bill for three drinks, two entrees and one dessert came out to $125 which I think is pricey for what we had. I saw couples who also had appetizers and many more drinks. I shudder to think what their bills were. All in all I would return. Have to try that coconut shrimp served on skewers in a coconut and the empanadas. Ay caramba!

Reviewed August 19, 2013

I didn't know what to expect because the prior reviews were all over the place.
First the negatives- We ate in the large room in the front and it was very noisy. However, when a party of four left, it became quieter. I slip the bill onto two separate charge cards. The bill had the usual about how much a 20% tip is. The problem was that it was based on the total bill. A little confusing.
The positives were many. The food was very good. Service was also very good. The hostess station was a bit amateurish. We started with two the chicken pincho and stuff sweet plantains and they were excellent. Everyone said the entrees were very good. I had the tropical salmon and my wife had the glazed chicken. A lot of food. The Modelo beers were $6.

I recommend this place. Restaurant.com coupons are available.