“Doesn't serve coffee for breakfast!”
Review of Ben & Bill's Deli

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Ben & Bill's Deli
Ranked #6 of 16 Restaurants in Slingerlands
Albany, New York
“Doesn't serve coffee for breakfast!”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This restaurant is in the Price Chopper supermarket. As their deli sandwiches are yummy, I decided to try their breakfast for the 1st time this morning & then do my grocery shopping. Well, I found out they don't serve coffee!! When I said I was surprised, they told me they weren't allowed to as there was a Starbucks within the Price Chopper as well. While that is true, if you don't like Starbucks coffee (i.e., strong coffee), you'd be having breakfast without your morning coffee. Anyway, I left the store, went next door to Dunkin' Donuts where I purchased a coffee, & then brought it back to my table. At Ben & Bill's, it's quite casual as you order at the counter & they bring your order to your table when it's ready. When I returned though, my sandwich still wasn't ready! To make a long story short, my breakfast sandwich tasted fine but it was a little annoying to have to go to 2 places just to grab a quick breakfast.

Visited August 2013

Albany, New York
“Good but expensive”
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

This is the only place to get good smoked fish (lox, sable, kippered salmon, whitefish), but they are VERY expensive. Whitefish salad in Phila (e.g. Famous Deli) - 4.99/lb. B & B's 14.99. Famous corned beef (the BEST) 6.99-7.99 lb. I feel tsken advsntage of, but when you must have it...

• Visited July 2013
Delmar, New York
“Good sandwich, but...”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

If you visit here, keep in mind that it is in a grocery store. A big, high end, pretentious suburban grocery store, but a grocery store nonetheless. This is nothing like the original Joe's in Albany.

I have had sandwiches here on a number of occasions over the years and they are good and though the prices seem high, it is possible to get two meals out of one triple decker.

Service can be spotty. On my last visit it took more than five minutes for somebody to take my order even though nobody else was in line and it didn't look especially busy.

I wouldn't necessarily make a special trip, but if you are passing through Slingerlands it is an acceptable meal option.

• Visited January 2013
Northampton, Massachusetts
“Great Jewish deli outside of Albany”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I live in Western Massachusetts but for great traditional Jewish deli food it's worth a special trip to Ben & Bill's inside the Price Chopper in Slingerlands. Terrific overstuffed sandwiches, brisket by the pound, matzo ball soup, a great variety of salads and sides, plus my favorite-ever brownie. Usually very friendly service. My only complaint is that sometimes it's difficult to figure out just where to stand to get served if you don't join the sandwich line. But that's a minor point. I'd be lost without Ben & Bill's!

Visited October 2012
Delmar, New York
“Very good in store deli”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

while not the same as the NYC area, for Albany it is one of the best NY Style" delis. The brisket and pastrami were well prepared and tender. Hearty sandwiches. The soups are good. The baked goods are packaged from commercial bakeries (nothing fresh).

Not an inexpensive stop for a quick bite during shopping.

Visited June 2012