“Casual Dinning at its best!!”
Review of Mangia - CLOSED

Mangia
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 29, 2013

The service at this restaurant is excellent!Very nice people that work here,the food is always great and love the bread!

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
1  Thank chris o
Creoteam, Owner at Mangia, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Chris O:

Thanks for the great comment. We are fortunate to have a great team in place at Mangia led by Andy and Nick, who are truly committed to delivering a consistent and great experience to our guests. We look forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

The best that I can say about my recent visit to Mangia is that the service was good. I had one of their specials. The meat was dry and so tough that I had to struggle to cut it with a sharp knife, and the potatoes were overdone to the point of being burnt. The salad that came with the meal was not bad, but was nothing special. My companion had a pizza that was OK, but only OK. The bread is great, and yes, that is damning with faint praise.

I used to dine at Mangia pretty regularly and have been going there since it opened. I hate to say it, but it has always been the kind of place that I could never really rely on. Sometimes it has been fabulous, but just as often it has been mediocre to poor. I won't even go into some of the disasters that were so bad that we were refunded our money. You may well ask why I continued to go there. I had a relative who lived in the neighborhood, and that relative loved to go there. That relative died four years ago, and I haven't been back since, until this recent visit.

The restaurant has always had a lot of potential, and I like the atmosphere, but they have always had a problem with doing it right consistently. With so many other good restaurants in the Albany area that do do it right consistently, I doubt that I will give them another chance.

1  Thank PainterRob
Creoteam, Owner at Mangia, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2013

Dear PainterRob:

Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant. I would really like to talk with you more about the specifics of your experience. I have sent a private message with my cell number. If you have time, I would love to hear more about your experience so that I can make the appropriate corrections with my team.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Our first time there and we enjoyed just about all of it.

The waitress was great and the food and drinks arrived in fairly short order.
Between the four of us, we had the Cedar Plank Salmon, Chopped Antipasto, Shrimp Scampi,
and the Mozzarella Basil Risotto.

The entrees were good with the possible exception of the pasta in the shrimp dish.
It was cooked well enough but bland (like the cook forgot to season it).
Other than that possible oversight, we were all pleased with the main course.

For dessert, we had the Cannoli, Chocolate Lava Cake, and the Toll House Pie.
All good.

When all is said and done, it's safe to say we'll go back.

Oh, by the way. The Brooklyn Lager and was nice too...

Creoteam, Owner at Mangia, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2013

Dear Mike:

Thanks for the good review. Glad to hear the waitress was great, but I hate to hear that the pasta was not seasoned. Your specifics will certainly help our culinary team improve.

Sincerely

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Love to go to Mangia's for lunch! Such tasty pasta and pizza and we love the bread. Just don't let them seat you in the back cause sometimes the servers forget you're over there. Try the pasta san marco, soo tasty!

Creoteam, Owner at Mangia, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

DbCb_1990:

Thanks for the great review. We're so glad you like Mangia, and we really appreciate the support.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

I wanted to eat at Mangias for a long time as I heard many local people rave about it. I finally ate there recently and was not overly impressed. My meal was good but nothing out of the ordinary. I actually thought our bill was a bit pricey for what we had. There were four of us at a table and I felt like it was a very tight squeeze. They also do not have a full bar. In other words, they only serve wine and beer but no liquor or mixed drinks. This was a disappointment to me. The service was average. The bread was excellent and my eating companions were happy with their meals. They do have a choice of different size entrees which is nice. Let me clarify that my meal was good but all things considered such as tight seating, price, and a limited bar, I will probably not return.

Creoteam, Owner at Mangia, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Dear Sealover12:

Thank you for your review and feedback. Sorry to hear that you were not as thrilled about Mangia as many of our guests. Mangia is a neighborhood bistro which traces its inspiration from the small and intimate eateries in Italy. That intimate, locally influenced style is charming and authentic to some, less so to others.

We really appreciate your visit to Mangia, and I'm glad to hear the food was good. We always appreciate hearing feedback - good and bad, so thank you again for your thoughts.