“Beautiful old grounds and well kept church”

More attraction details
Owner description: Some of the characters in Irving's Legend can be found buried in this cemetery.
Reviewed May 22, 2014

The cemetery is well kept and holds lots of history. We enjoyed wandering around and checking out the area.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

History meets lore meets a check off of my bucket list! Beautiful, charming and historic, this is one of the places I had always wanted to visit. As an Irving fan growing up, I felt his writing with every step I took there. I checked off an item on my bucket list when I photographed my 150 year old copy of The Sketch Book with its author's final resting place.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

The Old Dutch Church and Burying Ground is a charming place brimming with history! We visited on a beautiful fall day when the foliage was at its peak and the weather was warm enough to walk among the graves. Many markers had names familiar to us from the stories of Washing Irving who is buried just up the hill in Sleepy Hollow Cemetery. The centuries old church is peaceful and pristine. During Halloween, you can hear a storyteller read the Legend of Sleepy Hollow for a reasonably priced ticket. While we were wandering around the Burying Ground, my heart skipped a beat when the Headless Horseman came riding in. Looking very elegant, he graciously stopped for us to take pictures with him and this made my day!! I love this place!!

Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

One of the best family activities we've been to in a long while. An actor recites the Legend of Sleepy Hollow in period attire and in an old world accent with plenty of sound effects. This was a very thrilling low-tech show. The actor captured our full attention for 1+ hour. Would definitely go back!

Reviewed November 8, 2013

History and great stories all in one place. It is so hard to imagine how old some of the grave markers were. Perfect rustic New England charm with that extra added spookiness. Very interesting place indeed.

1  Thank Tibby H