“Nice place to have a romantic dinner....”

Joelles French Bistro
Ranked #14 of 36 Restaurants in Skaneateles
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Syracuse, New York
“Nice place to have a romantic dinner....”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My husband surprised me and made reservations here for our anniversary. He chose Jolles French Bistro because it had chicken Moroccan Tagine with dried fruits on the menu. My husband knows how much I wanted to try a tagnine meal and while Morocco is on my " Travel Bucket List", I still am not going there soon, so he thought this would at least feel like he took me there. I thought the tagine was delicious. My husband had the country pate and the cassoulet, which he enjoyed. The only item I did not enjoy was the crab soufflé appetizer. The service was wonderful and staff were attentive. We would go back here again.

• Visited October 2012

Syracuse, New York, United States
“Last dinner this good was on the Ile De La Cite”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

The atmosphere was lovely and authentically French. We needed something special to celebrate the end of a string of stressful night shifts. This was definitely it.
My dinner started with the blue cheese flan, which was finished at the table using a torch to make the sugar glass crust on top. Heavenly rich, My Husband ordered from the Prix Fixe menu and had the mushroom soup du jour, The bread was an echo of our time in Paris. I've not had anything like it in central NY,
His main course was the cassoulet and I had the herb infused lamb chops, which were done to perfection. I couldn't finish, so desert was out of the question for me. Albert had the chocolate mousse. I couldn't resist a few nibbles. It was worth it. It was a wonderful experience and we will be back.

• Visited February 2013
Wayne, NJ
“Great dinner”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

The food was excellent. My husband had salad and I had escargot for appetizers followed by lamb (for him) and I had cassoulet. Everything was wonderful. The host stopped by to chat and we even met Joelle, the chef. Anyone visiting Skaneteles must eat there.

Visited October 2012
Hampton, NH
“Wonderful food, good service”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We had heard both the hype and the concerns about Joelles, but our B&B hosts had encouraged us to try it. They were right. I had the avocado and beet starter (good, not as flavorful as the visual image was beautiful) and a "to die for" seafood risotto. I had the "tasting plate" of the risotto as I feared it would be too much - that was a good call, as the dish was sooooo yummy but also very rich. The tasting plate was a small amount (as the name implies), but plenty. If I lived locally, I would have gotten the larger serving and had wonderful leftovers to look forward to!

It's a small place - all the tables are shoulder to shoulder - and a large party came in as we were close to finishing up. We were glad to be leaving when we did as it got rather loud. Another couple from the B&B had a reservation about an hour behind us, and reported the next morning that they couldn't hear each other talk over the table, for the din of the large (and happy) group. Not a thing the restaurant can do about this, I guess, but if it is important for you to hear your table-mate speak, ask if they are expecting any large parties that evening. BTW, if it were my family in that group, we'd probably have been just as boisterous. The experience will make me more conscious of others when I'm in that situation.

• Visited September 2012
Hope, NJ
“French in New York Country”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

my hubsand and I visit with family every year in Auburn, NY. We finally were able to have dinner at Joelle's. We were somewhat intimidated by the lack of up-keep of the house on the outside. The grounds were in need of care as well as the house itself. Our dinner was good but not exceptional. We came to realize that Joelle and her business partner were separating in the near future. It was our opinion, that was reflected in the presentation of the premises as well as the food.

• Visited September 2012