“One of the best restaurants in Central New York”
Review of 1820 House

1820 House
Ranked #18 of 36 Restaurants in Skaneateles
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 16, 2012

My wife and I are lucky enough to live about 15 minutes from the 1820 House and eat there as often as we can. We never considered writing a review until we saw some of the offensive reviews on this post and decided we had to add our opinion. We do a lot of travelling (some for business) and have dined at some high-end gourmet restaurants - most of which are located in large cities. The 1820 House offers comparable service and quality of food as these establishments but in our own back yard overlooking one of the most beautiful lakes in the world. Rich and Christie have created a dinner and desert offering such that we are usually comfortable trying something different every time only because we know it is going to be an incredible experience. Not too many restaurants have accomplished what the 1820 House has.

Keep doing what you're doing guys - you have created a great experience in the 1820 House.

1  Thank Gary N

Reviewed June 1, 2012

Rainy night and thought we would try a restaurant we hadn't visited in ages. Ate off the tavern menu but sat in the formal dining room. Great meals at budget prices. I had haddock sandwich for $10 and my friend had chicken parm for $13. Left us with spending money for some wine :D Great atmosphere and friendly staff. Will get some freinds to join us next time.

2  Thank CapeSkan
Reviewed May 12, 2012

What a wonderful dining experience. My wife and I ordered the same meal, pork schnitzle. The portion was generous but more importantly, it was delicious. However, I must comment on the service. Christie Lynn was one of our waitresses along with two other women. They were as responsible as the chef for making this a memorable meal. They were attentive without being intrusive and made us feel completely comfortable with their friendly demeanor. Even when we had some special requests, they couldn't have been more cooperative. They somehow made us feel that we were the only people in the restaurant. We will make it a point to always stop here when we are back in the area.

4  Thank calitri
Reviewed April 21, 2012

We were vacationing in Skaneateles NY and wanted to get away from the business of the village atmosphere. We inquired to a local store owner where a great restaurant might be that was outside of the village.

The 1820 House is now one of our most favorite restaurants. The menu was diversified, choices for all ages and appetites, the service was professional and friendly, when the individually prepared meals came, they were extraordinary, absolutely delicious.

In addition, the atmosphere is welcoming. An older building with a warm, welcome charm.

We would highly recommend The 1820 House to all, mmmm....delicious, thinking about it now!!!

Reviewed April 12, 2012

I have been taking our family to the Finger Lakes for years. And for the last 4 or 5 years our family's choice for favorite resturant has been the 1820 House!!

The feeling walking in this classic resturant for us is like walking into an old friends house, the warn feeling in the dinning room, the cozy bar (great drinks) but most importantly the warm smiles and attentive staff. It always amazes me how they remember us from year to year.

Our New York City expectations for fine food and attentive service has never been disappointed. We have ordered off the menu and also have had the specials....the food is 1st class and what I believe is under priced. The same meal we ordered at the 1820 House would have cost us almost double in NYC! Great value!

The owner/chef, Rich, has taken the time to come over to our table to explain a fish dish after my wife was raving about it to the wait staff, he was kind enough to give us the reciept!! That has never happened to us before but that's what friends do! When our children were a little younger he also made non-menu items for their finiky taste!

I whole heartly recommend the 1820 House. Support owner operated establishments like this one. You will get the personal service and every dish is made like it's being prepare for friends! You will not be disappointed

1  Thank Scott S