“I Went Back to Get Engaged”
Review of Arbor House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Skaneateles
Arbor House Inn
Ranked #7 of 14 Skaneateles B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 14, 2009

I have stayed at the Arbor House several times. This time my girlfriend and I became engaged there. We both absolutely love it. The service is wonderful, the food is great, and the suite is huge (and so is the whirlpool tub). Going to Skaneateles has become an annual tradition for us, and that tradition always includes the Arbor House.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 8, 2009

We stayed at the Arbor House Thanksgiving week while visiting family in Skaneateles, a beautiful little town. The Arbor House fits nicely into this town, as it is authentic, comfortable, and welcoming to visitors. It is run by a family who work very well together to see that all the guests have their needs met, and have a very nice stay with them.
Our room was in the guest house in back of the main house, and had a nice view of the stream and ducks out our back door. Breakfast was good every morning, and there was always a choice. A nice walk into the village with plenty of shopping and browsing opportunities.

Reviewed November 28, 2009

What a charming place with rooms named after different grape varieties! The paint even matches the names in most cases. Of course Cabernet was my favorite but the Riesling....I think that was the name...was the most beautiful shade of green. Our proprietor, Wayne, gave us the royalty tour even though we were there for such a short time. There is a fully restored, remodeled and part original house in the front of the property, with a brand new structure behind; complete with a rolling yard ending at a stream. Most of the antiques (check out the beautifully restored sleigh beds) are from a charming local antique shop that we visited....New Hope Antiques. The suite with the kitchen has it's own balcony (it was rented for an entire month!) and there is one room on the bottom level with french doors directly leading you down to the stream. We stood in awe as 7 Mallards flew through the trees and scared the squirrel population. Breakfast was piping hot and made to order (and my husband ordered one of everything offered!)...complete with a 24/7 supply of homemade blueberry scones....Yum, yum, yum. A wonderful experience all the way around!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 26, 2009

We spent 3 nights here for a relaxing getaway. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Breakfast was hearty and the coffee was excellent. The Concorde Room was very spacious and well appointed and we enjoyed this room better than our 3rd night in the Riesling. The Riesling wasn't as inviting and the new house is very warm.
Overall a nice experience!

Reviewed November 17, 2009

I stayed at the inn the end October. It is a beautiful place, very clean and close to the village. We occupied 2 rooms in the back building down stairs the Shiraz and Pinot. Both rooms were very clean... the girls working there explained that the rooms and were very helpful. My children enjoyed the fact that they could go out the door in the room and play and run around the large back lawn and they loved feeding the ducks. We were able to walk every where of interest... the breakfast was superb each morning! I will definitly recommend this B&B and will stay here again!!!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank missmissy81
Reviewed November 16, 2009

We stayed here for one night - Saturday Nov 14 - and I could forgive one or even two "not so good items" but ELEVEN is not acceptable and completely wiped out the first impressions of a good-sized room with a lovely wood floor and pretty rugs. 1. - the bed sagged into the middle and 2. had cheap nylon/polyester sheets! 3. - no hangers in the closet which was pretty much filled anyway with a rollaway bed. 4. - very noisy humidity control units - one in room, one in hall outside - it was bit like being in the engine room of a ship until we switched them off. 5. - The bathroom was decidedly less than clean - dirty baseboards and corners, and I removed "brown smear" on the toilet paper holder - yuck! 6.- Dial deodorant soap as face soap? 7. Very noisy toilet flushing heard from room above. 8. Sound of constant water drip from our toilet cistern. 9- Staff smoking on the entrance porch. 10 - Two breakfast casseroles very unappetizing - slimy eggs and overly mushy french toast. 11. Piles of dirty sheets and towels carried through the breakfast room while we were eating.

We stayed at Pine Grove in August 2008 and had nothing but compliments. We should have gone there again but wanted to be closer to an event we were attending in the village. Big mistake - the drive up the lake would have been a much better choice!

1  Thank callisto11
DavidSchnyer, Owner/Manager at Arbor House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2009

Dear Guest:
I appreciate your taking time to review The Arbor House Inn on this website, Trip Advisor. As owner/manager I would respectfully request your attention to my response to your review. Of your eleven issues, several could have been resolved had you contacted staff. We are on 24 hour "call duty" and would have appreciated the opportunity to resolve your complaints.
The problem with the bed sagging was caused by a box-spring support that had become dislodged by a previous guest. When the housekeeping staff made up the room prior to your arrival it went unnoticed, in part becuase it is literally under the bed and not visible. Had we been made aware of the problem it could have been addressed immediately.
Each room is supplied with a minimum of 8 plastic clothes hangers. Upon inspection this morning I did find 8 hangers in the room. Again if this was insufficient staff would have gladly supplied you with more hangers. I also inspected the bathroom for cleanliness and quite frankly i'm perplexed as to your complaint of the bathroom being "dirty".
The soap we supply to our guests is a top name brand soap, if you would have asked for a different brand we gladly would have obliged.
During excessive periods of rain we do activate dehumidifers in some of our guest rooms. Certainly we expect the guest to shut if off during their stay to avoid any unpleasant noise.
The issue of staff smoking on the porch has been addressed and it is now our policy to have ALL smokers (staff or guests) smoke in an outdoors area that does not include the open porch. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention as we are a smoke free facility.
Our sheets are 600 count cotton sheets, I apologize if the sheets did not meet your expectations.
The issue of the upstairs toilet being heard in your room is not one that I have an easy solution for. We will have the plumber check your toiet, we are unaware of any water drip.
I'm also sorry to hear of your disappointment with the breakfast served. It is very common for our guests to ask us for our recipes, however, we gladly would have accomodated you by preparing something to your liking had you only asked.
Breakfast is served from 8 to 10 am. After the breakfast hour it is necessary for our housekeeping staff to immediately clean the rooms to prepare for the arrival of that nights guests. We do not allow our staff to bring laundry, dirty or clean, through the dining room until after breakfast is complete.
To conclude, I'm sorry your stay was less than satisfactory. I have been in the accomodations business for forty seven years and, along with my staff, strive to make every guests stay as enjoyable as humanly possible. To have an unhappy guest makes our job less rewarding and enjoyable as well.
Again, Thank You for taking the time to review our inn.
David Schnyer
Owner/Manager

Reviewed November 12, 2009

Our stay was very nice. The Room was clean ,comfortable and roomy.
A gas fireplace was controlled by a switch near the bed.It took the chill out of the room and added a soft light all around.There was a whirlpool tub in the bath....very relaxing.
Breakfast was served to order,with fresh fruit,cereal,hot coffee, juice ect.
Enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skaneateles
Skaneateles Suites
#5 of 7 in Skaneateles
Inn at the Finger Lakes
34 State Historic Luxury Suites Skaneateles
Lady of the Lake Bed and Breakfast

Been to Arbor House Inn? Share your experiences!