“Nothing special”
Review of Packwood House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Skaneateles
Packwood House
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Skaneateles
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Basically, a nice, but generic hotel room that is way overpriced. Nothing unique or interesting that I could see, The breakfast buffet was ather perfunctory; I've seen better at a Courtyard or Hampton Inn.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rgberg

Reviewed July 29, 2012

This hotel was definitely a high point in our trip to Skaneateles. The room was very clean, very big and the bed was unbelievably comfortable. The property was extremely quiet. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sonseekers
Reviewed July 18, 2012

All the amenities you'd expect from a recently renovated hotel: large room, adequate climate control, well insulated and quiet, most comfortable bedding, and a nice terrace overlooking the lake -- you might wish to book a room with a view. Ample parking and elevator, but during our weeknight stay, no one was manning the front desk. It felt slightly awkward but safe nonetheless. The Sherwood Inn where breakfast is served is just two doors down.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MGD54
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Great location with parking. Rooms are a typical 3 star style. Very modern and clean. Odd service as you have to go to the Sherwood Inn down the way and you're on your own in the hotel. Overall you will be comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2012

When I was trying to choose a hotel in Skaneateles for our vacation, I was really torn between the Sherwood Inn and the Packwood. Would I choose the charm of the Sherwood or the conveniences of the Packwood? I was also unable to get a good sense of what parking was like for the two locations. Some reviewers made it sound very difficult so I was slightly uneasy about the parking situation. I chose the Packwood and now am so happy that I did. When we checked in (at the Sherwood front desk) the amount of noise and congestion in their lobby was overwhelming. The front desk clerk was extremely helpful and friendly and made the check-procedure very easy but as I stood there I couldn't wait to leave. The Sherwood Inn has a small parking lot directly behind their lodging, which is where we parked while we registered. The Packwood House is about 30 seconds down the street on the same side of the road as the Sherwood. There is a small drive just before you get to the Packwood (next to Talbot's) which leads you to underground parking spaces for the Packwood with an keyed access elevator to take you directly to your floor. Not only do you have nice convenient free parking but you have covered parking! Our room was number 306 and it was literally the quietest room I have ever stayed in anywhere. We heard no noise in the hotel or from outside the hotel. The room is huge with a king-sized bed (with tons of pillows....not sure what another reviewer meant) and lots of windows. The windows had very effective drapery that totally blocked out any light. The room is equipped with a flatscreen TV, small fridge and microwave and was immaculate. Very nice bathroom too! The Packwood is directly across the street from the lake and the Bluewater Grill (delicious but make a reservation if possible for speedier seating). In the first floor lobby of the Packwood is a small desk with a PC if you need computer access. You can have a small Continental breakfast at the Packwood, served on the second floor, or eat at the Sherwood. The breakfast was generally fruit with a muffin: fine but nothing special. My husband and I ate at the Sherwood: our food was good and the atmosphere of the tavern was cozy and we enjoyed it thoroughly. My recommendation is to stay at the Packwood for a good night's sleep and walk for a minute to the Sherwood (or the Bluewater) to eat. A great compromise!

A note on Skaneateles: very charming, picture-perfect and the lake is beautiful. My husband and I enjoy wine and hiking but we are not boaters and both agreed that a one-night stay would have been sufficient instead of two. The shops in town were quickly visited and didn't take up a lot of time as I thought they would and dining options were more limited than I hoped . We visited Aurora (Fargo Grill) for lunch and thought it was fun but this tiny little town doesn't require much time either. We stayed in Ithaca for 3 nights and could have easily stayed there a fourth night instead of the second night on the lake. Numerous hiking opportunities abound, even in the middle of town. So, if you fish and boat, Skaneateles will be a great base. If you are more of a hiker, you would probably be better suited staying in Ithaca. Either way, you will have a great trip!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Smiles4miles
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I have stayed at the Packwood House since it opened and always enjoy it there. I recently stayed there and the entire hotel has been renovated and it is a big improvement over the older decor. There is also now a front desk person on duty on the weekends - big plus not having to check in at the Sherwood first.

The only & HUGE downfall is that the room climate controls only allow the guests limited latitude in changing the temperature. When I asked about it during a December stay, the hotel desk person said at the Sherwood "We tried to tell the owner that guests wouldn't like it and he ignored us". This time in June we were told that the hotel temperatures were actually controlled by some firm in Syracuse and that "they forget that we have Indian Summer and the rooms get hot" if that happens. We found the room hot and stuffy and could only control the thermostat down to 69 degrees (I'm sure some sort of cost control measure). My point is that if we are guests, guests should get to control the room temperature to what guest want, not the owner in a move to save $$$. This doesn't make us feel at home, like guests!

Room Tip: Spend the extra $$ for a balcony overlooking the lake - well worth the price if spend any time in yo...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank STEBAY711
Reviewed October 21, 2011

Great experience. We had a 3rd floor room with a balcony, overlooking the town and lake. The night we were there we enjoyed a live concert of John Philip Sousa music from the park below while sitting out on the balcony. Very royal:-)

Staff was great. Lovely and spacious room, modern bathroom. Decent food at the Sherwood Inn (same owners) with a complimentary breakfast, eggs and such.

Bar at Sherwood is noisy and crowded, especially on a Friday in August. They have a raw bar from 5:00. Nice.

I especially like that it's set apart, a block from the Sherwood, a larger and more crowded place. Center of town.

Room Tip: Third floor rooms have a balcony and view of the lake.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jim D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skaneateles
Skaneateles Suites
#5 of 7 in Skaneateles
Inn at the Finger Lakes
Hilton Garden Inn Auburn
Holiday Inn Auburn - Finger Lakes Region

Been to Packwood House? Share your experiences!