“Charles Dickens Christmas in Skaneateles”
Review of Sherwood Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Skaneateles
Sherwood Inn
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Skaneateles
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Charles Dickens Christmas in Skaneateles”
Reviewed June 23, 2011

Overall this was an enjoyable visit. We have been to Skaneateles many times and we thoroughly enjoyed the Charles Dickens Christmas weekend activity. The town is full of things to do and see. The Sherwood Inn was very busy, the food was excellent. Our room was alittle small and we got locked out once...needed to have someone crawl in the window to get back in. Our friends' rooms, however, were much roomier, therefore, we spend the most time in their rooms when at the Inn. The horse and buggy ride was fun. The breakfast in the morning was superb. Very nice place to hang your hat.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Rochester, New York
Reviewed March 6, 2011

This was our first stay at the Sherwood Inn. We stayed in Rm. 35. We thought that is was very nice, but expected the room to be bigger as it is shown on the website...a little misleading. The service was very good, as was the food. The room was very warm even though we had the fan on high-cool. The other couple that we were there with said that their room was also very warm (39). The only other thing that we were disappointed with was we were under the impression that there were more of a variety of little shops to go to in Skaneateles...There were more jewelry stores than anything...

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lakejules
Andover, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 28, 2010

My husband and I got married last July on my family's lake house property in Skaneateles. I've spent every summer of my life in Skaneateles and have family residing intown. I wanted my guests to fall in love with the special little town but also wanted them to have easy access to the downtown and lakefront area so I suggested the Sherwood as a place to stay for just those reasons. I'll be honest in that I never thought very much of the Sherwood. It was always a place for the annoying tourists to go after they were finished clogging the streets and crosswalks with their general lemmingness.

So, it came as a huge surprise when the Sherwood turned out to be a huge WOW factor in my guests' experience! My mother-in-law gifted us a fabulous rehearsal dinner in one of the inn's function rooms. The food was fresh, plentiful, unique and modern. Nothign tasted or looked like typical wedding catered food, and everyone raved about the seafood spread. The apps to pass were to die for, and not just fried egg rolls or stuffed mushrooms as you typically find on menus. I was on a no-jokes-involved pre-wedding diet I actually broke to taste a bit of everything that was on the dinner menu, it was that good. The desert was amazing and then they plates of bite sized bakery style desserts that I called Bride on and went around taking all the coconut and chocolate truffles. OUr guests were from the metro-Boston and NYC areas and they were all swooning over the food and excellent service. Our bartender was great, professional, fast and had great rapport with the out of town guests, and I overheard him suggesting things to do in town which was so sweet of him.

My mother-in-law also booked rooms for her extended family at the inn, and i was able to check out most of the rooms on the second and third floor. My new husband and I stayed in the front left most corner room over looking gennessee st and the lake. It had every amenity a craze bride would need without having to ask including a steam shower. The decor was colonial and up to date. I had the option of spending our wedding night at Mirbeau farther up the street, but we cancelled that reservation after we saw how wonderfully the staff treated us and how well they had done with the rehearsal dinner.

By far the greatest compliment I can give the Sherwood is on their amazing staff. Our wedding week took place at the end of July in the busiest season. We had three or four pre-wedding events that took place throughout the week and into the weekend which occurred at the same time as the Antique Boat Show. The town was madness, but you wouldn't have known it from the professional and polite greetings you got from the staff - and they all couldn't have known I was the bride, they were just all that attentive. In alot of busy tourist town inns and hotels, the staff can seem overwhelmed or always in a rush to help everyone but you, the Sherwood staff was so pleasant and helpful, always smiling and offering a helping hand.

After our wedding and honeymoon, they even contacted us inquiring about a left-behind plastic tub of wedding supplies to see if we still needed them or if they wanted us to dispose of them for us.

Amazing staff, great food, warm but spacious function rooms! I was thrilled! My mother-in-law still talks about her lovely trip to Skantown and how nice it was to just walk outside, cross the street and read a book infront of the prettiest lake she's ever seen!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank GM72410
Cape Girardeau, Missouri
Reviewed October 24, 2010

This beautiful inn, built in 1807, has 25 unique rooms and is located in the charming village of Skaneateles. The restaurant at the Inn is wonderful. Fine cuisine served in a lovely old fashioned dining room, and in an enclosed porch covering the entire front of the building overlooking the lake. Within walking distance are quant shops, restaurants and the lake.

• Stayed October 2010
New Jersey
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Very quaint centuries old hotel. Great location. It is still the place to be even for locals. EXCELLENT food. We stayed for 3 nights. If you plan to be there for a weekend ask if there is a wedding reception planned any of those evenings.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Metro NYC
Reviewed July 18, 2010

We paid rack rate for our room in the Packwood House, the newer annex to the Sherwood Inn. The first problem was that the high-hat (recessed light) over a table in the room didn't work. Someone came up with a bulb, but the problem required an electrician. The light was really needed as the other fixtures didn't provide enough, particularly by the bed. Then the dead bolt on the door didn't work. The carpet was spotted and needed cleaning, and the shower curtain was not anchored to the rod, a silly and careless maintenance/house keeping issue. Then we had problems connecting to the internet, which required someone's coming up to the room. We gave up after that. Then the room phone didn't work, so I had to call the desk for a wakeup. They were supposed to call my cell, but knocked on the door 15 minutes later than we wanted. The bed skirt was ripped from its anchor on one of the beds, and the closet door hadn't been shaved enough and so gouged the carpet when it was opened. - My partner uses a C-pap breathing machine and needed an extension cord as there wasn't a handy outlet by the bed. (There weren't enough outlets in the room either.) When we called the desk, they said that they didn't have one or a multi-outlet plug. We travel with an extension cord when we're staying in bed and breakfasts but never thought we'd need one in such a high-end establishment. - We were disappointed as there was so much about the room (the decorating and bedding) and the hotel (the full breakfast on the porch of the Sherwood) that should have been stellar, but they simply were not spending the money for upkeep and to hire the trained maintenance people they needed. Room 213 was not a winner. They did give us a $75 credit, which helped some, but this should have been offered without our having to itemize everything wrong with the room.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ScotchPlaiins
Reviewed May 25, 2010

Hightly recommend Skaneateles if you have a student at Syracuse U. as we did -- its only 30 min. away. Have stayed at several B&B's in the lake area-- wonderful location. Visiting once again - thought it time to try something extra special. Rooms are beautiful, but maintenace seems an after thought. A/C and Jacuzzi had issues. Worse they knew our room had recurring issues with these items. Something as simple as an ice bucket seemed problematic to locate when we found there was none. It's a large inn and very busy with dining and receptions. For the money - attention to detail and personal service is lacking. Have to say dining room staff at breakfast (only) were very attentive, good breakfast food, nice lake view from porch.. Next time we'd go to some of the smaller less known B&B's however.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cartrek
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skaneateles
Skaneateles Suites
#5 of 7 in Skaneateles
Inn at the Finger Lakes
Hilton Garden Inn Auburn
Mirbeau Inn & Spa Skaneateles

Been to Sherwood Inn? Share your experiences!