“Great ambiance”

Doug's Fish Fry
Ranked #1 of 36 Restaurants in Skaneateles
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Detroit, Michigan
“Great ambiance”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We were told of Doug's by several locals in the Auburn area this was THE place to have fish in the area. We weren't disappointed. Ample parking in the back and easily ordered. Granted the line inside curled around a bit but there was a method to their madness. People in line were friendly as was the people on the other side of the counter. Obviously the people there knew the routine! The line actually gave us time to scan over the extensive menu and gave us a chance to figure out what we wanted which wasn't easy. There wasn't any pressure; it was cool, calm and friendly whether you had been there for the 100th time or first timers. Once the order was placed, we got to mill around the waiting area, and watch all of the others come by to get their orders.

While it wasn't the best fish we've ever had, it was definitely worth the wait. It was a decent value and a really fun experience. Afterwards- just wander around the area as it's really really beautiful. Doug's has earned a solid reputation with great service and superb food.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Smogboy315

Baldwinsville, New York
“Best fish EVER”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

I have been going to Doug's since I was a kid. It has never let me down. I have been to many fish places over the years and this is by far the best one. The fries are homemade and fish is always delicious and juicy never dried out like other places I have been. Also, the tarter sauce is amazing. I just wish they would sell it in a jar or something. I would buy gallons of it.

• Visited May 2014
citibandit
“Loved it!”
Reviewed May 26, 2014

Casual, order at a window and pick up your order when ready. Great fish fry! Fast service! Plenty of tables!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank citibandit
“Fantastic fish fry! Great flavor!”
Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

If you ask any Upstate New Yorker who has the best seafood, I can guarantee most people will say Doug's Fish Fry! This place has been around for many, many, years and has been a popular place for families to have a tasty meal with their kids being silent and happy, just ask my mom, she says the first time she shared a meal with me and my brother, we were quiet as mice.

Queensbury, New York
“Best casual seafood place”
Reviewed April 26, 2014

I have been to Doug's many times. Everything is always consistently great except for the friendliness of the staff and owner. They fry their fish in peanut oil so if you have a peanut allergy you might want to avoid this place. I

On my most recent trip to Doug's the staff forgot to include an item. Not a big deal I thought as I went up to get it. When I reached the counter and asked the owner for the inexpensive item that was missing from my order the first thing that came out of his mouth should had been an apology. Instead he questioned what I had ordered and grumpily gave me the missing item without an apology. Now I understand that everyone has bad days but an apology at least should have been given especially since he is the owner.

The fried fish here is always exceptional. I heard the fish here is frequently imported from Boston. I see no reason why this would not be true as it is always fresh tasting and never had a fishy smell to it. The peanut oil seems to be changed often which is key for fried foods.

The fried fish sandwich here comes with two very plain bread aisle sesame seed buns. Not a big deal as I never eat the bread anyways as the portion of the fish is always huge. It costs about $5 for a huge amount of fish.

The fries are always good as well but aren't battered like my preferred style.

They do offer fried chicken here as well as hotdogs so if you have somebody in your party that isn't a seafood fan they can get their fix here.

The atmosphere of the place has a nautical feel to it with a big fish tank. Always clean in the sitting area of the restaurant as I see staff wiping down table tops all the time. I had other people in my party that used the restroom and I found out it was disgusting. We went to tell the owner and he grumpily acknowledged us, still no apology.

I would have rated this place a 5 out of 5 but the service is not consistently friendly.

Bottom line: If you like fried fish you can't beat Doug's. Good value, great food, and clean. Inconsistent service.

• Visited April 2014