“Sorry to write this review, but...”
Review of Birds Nest Motel

Birds Nest Motel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Skaneateles
Oneonta, N.Y.
“Sorry to write this review, but...”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

I feel it's my duty to fellow travelers to report the condition of this motel. I like to try and support the older "Mom & Pop" places when I can, and I'm willing to put up with a few quirks to save a little money. I've stayed here for an overnight in May for the last three years, and the place is getting progressively worse.

Immediately upon entering the room this last time, I was hit hard with a very strong, unpleasant musty smell. As nighttime came on my room was cold and I called the office and inquired. The woman told me she would see about turning up the heat (apparently it's controlled from the office, or not controlled as the case was.) I waited a good 1/2 hour, felt the register again in my room and it was still stone cold. When I called the office again, she said she had spoken to the manager and he was aware of the problem and was "fixing" it. I asked if he was on the property and actually working on it and she didn't really confirm that. Aware that nothing was going to get done that night, I pulled off the comforter from the other bed, put on extra clothes and went to sleep.

In the morning, I turned on the shower as hot as I could get it and it just ran warm. I got in and after about a minute the water turned cold and then it slowed to a dribble. After fiddling with the faucet for too long, I finally got out and started to towel off. Tried it one more time, it finally went back to warm and I was able to finish my shower; although the temp remained unpleasantly colder than I like it.

It bothers me that for so long now (according to the reviews here) travelers have been making the same complaints over and over and whoever is running the place sort of pretends to be fixing the issues. I feel like they are trying to milk every last rental out of the place that they can but everything I've read here and experienced myself says it's time to either do a major overhauling or let the place go. The moldy smell is extremely unpleasant and is probably not healthy to breathe in for hours.

I agree that the grounds are beautifully kept, the lobby is nice and inviting, and I appreciate that they allow me to bring my dog. But the rooms are just too far gone at this point. The carpet in my room was dirty, stained and very thin. No mattress pad on the bed. The comforters are very dark in color to hide whatever dirt or whatever they may have on them (I know all the tricks; when I was younger I used to clean motel rooms.)

Not a pleasant experience, I am sorry to say. I will not be back and wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank karmann-11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Philadelphia
Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

Our second stay at Birds Nest was OK. It is an old time roadside motel convenient for our purposes.
Both times we stayed there we had clean rooms and the staff was very nice.
This trip our room was much bigger for only $10.00 more but the bed was not very comfortable though my wife disagrees on that. I suppose it's a matter of opinion.
The are few lost cost places to stay in the area and going by the reviews I have read this one is the cleanest.
You could easily spend three or four times more money and get superb accommodations.We have done that too. This time I was being frugal.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank xigel1
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Word of warning for anyone looking for an affordable motel, this place is definitely not worth the money saved!!! The room was a typical cheap motel room which I was fine with yet it was freezing as I stayed in the Motel during Thanksgiving week, also I planned to do work in the room since their website boasts free internet, when I find out during my stay that you can only use internet in the lobby. So all of that was fine and i accepted that accommodations were minimal but when I went to take a shower the morning I stayed in the motel, I found none and had to dry my body with my clothes. I couldn't call the front desk as the office was closed for Thanksgiving. I was pissed that we payed a little over $80 for a freezing room with no coffee, no internet, and no towels but I was willing to just accept that it got what i payed for (sort of) until the next day the Motel staff calls my husband while he's at work and accuses us of stealing the towels!!!! I was livid and called to try and explain to them that I was positive there were no towels in our room as I was forced to dry off my wet body with clothes and the manager proceeds to tell me that he personally put towels in the room and that my husband and I better get our stories straight!! This place is the bare minimum of a cheap motel, and obviously has unprofessional and unintelligent staff. Unless you are in dire straights and are willing to be accused of stealing motel items which weren't even in your room I suggest you steer clear of this crap hole! Worst motel experience ever!!!!! I've stayed in several Motel 6's in my lifetime and never experienced the service as poor as I experienced at the Bird's Nest!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Stacia M

Travelers are raving about these Skaneateles hotels

Topeka, Indiana
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I have stayed here 3 times.

Problems include:

1) No hot water
2) Dirty room
3) No TV remote/broken TV
4) no heat
5) shoddy room construction (holes in the bathroom)
6) No wifi despite advertisingtehre was (only works in part of buildings)
7) Room smell moldy

Overall very cheap, even for $100 a night hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Bob S
Binghamton, New York
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Old fashioned, cute motel rooms, all knotty pine inside. Everything was adequate, although not ultra-luxurious. Comfortable beds. Staff is very friendly and accommodating. Pool outside is convenient, except can't be used except in the presence of two adults. Very reasonable price in a town that tends to be very expensive.

Room Tip: There's a wing that looks more modern than the basic motel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lee S
Springfield, New Jersey
Reviewed August 21, 2013

This motel is a gem. There are two old fashioned lounge chairs in front of each cabin-like room and people actually sit there on the lawn and do nothing! No reading, no internet, radio, or phones - just leisure sitting. The place is so quiet and the grounds are beautifully landscaped. The rooms are clean and fairly large. The innkeeper is very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Susquehanna, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stayed in the king bed room with Jacuzi. This was in the 2nd building. The hall and room smelled horrible. The floor over near the desk is ready to fall through. The microwave is in the bathroom.
The AC was loud but necessary due to the horrible smell. It smells like mildew or wet dog. The Jacuzi is in poor shape and was dirty. No parking was allowed in the parking lot closest to the room. Not sure why because it is their parking lot. We were extremely disappointed with this stay and would never stay here again. Beware becasue this place looks nice from the road. The grounds are well kept up front and its very cute. Cost $110 per night. We have stayed in $50 hotels that are much nicer.

Room Tip: Spend the extra and stay down town.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mike C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skaneateles
Skaneateles Suites
Hilton Garden Inn Auburn
Skaneateles Inn on 20
Skaneateles Inn on 20
#2 of 7 in Auburn

Been to Birds Nest Motel? Share your experiences!